water heat

My bathroom is so far away from the water heater, it takes ages to get hot water there. Is there an electric heater that can be fitted near the tap to quickly heat up the initial flow, then turn itself off when it senses the incoming water temperature is high enough?

Reply to
Jordan

This is what you want:

Reply to
Dennis

On 23/07/12 14:58, Dennis wrote: >

Thanks for that. Interesting, but I'm not sure it's really what I want, because there still wouldn't be any hot water available for some time. In my case it's about 30 seconds in this weather. It'd be good for saving water though.

I'd prefer the "luxury" of instant hot water. A separate, automatic switching heater, rather than a pump, could provide this. I don't think the extra power needed for short term heating would be excessive.

I wonder if anyone sells these?

Reply to
Jordan

yeah, any of those on-demand heaters would do the trick, they all have thermostats.

you may need to have the house supply upgraded to 2 phase though.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

1) you could try lagging all the pipework from the heater tothe taps. 2) ou could install a HW recticulation system that pumps HW through a loop to warm up the pipes before openig the taps.
Reply to
terryc

Maybe the hot water unit for a shower - it probably has its own built in thermostat if the water exceeds a certain temperature.

Reply to
Ian Field

I know someone who had this problem in their kitchen. They installed a small electric hot water on demand unit under the sink, fed from the main HW system. Worked just fine.

Reply to
swanny

These guys have one:

Several power ranges: 2.4kW to 9.6kW, the higher wattage units would probably require upgrading the mains wiring.

It's meant to be fed with cold water so you'd have to check if it stops heating once the incoming water warmed up, or conversely if it has a limit to the output temperature (which is quite likely in these days of safety consciousness).

HTH Chris.

Reply to
Chris

As a guess, his curren tank is off peak and the heater would have to be on standard power. Might just need an extra circuit solely for the instant heater.

Reply to
terryc

"Jordan"

** Tough.

** Nope.

The electrical power requirements for such a heater ( about 6 kW ) is prohibitive, not to mention the high cost.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Could be.

Reply to
Jordan

Could be. Main heater is gas instantaneous.

Reply to
Jordan

1) It'd still be very cold a lot of the time, so delay will still happen even if lagged. Pipes are plastic. 2) That sounds wasteful. I think it's what they have in hospitals etc.
Reply to
Jordan

Know what make, model?

Reply to
Jordan

Worth checking, thanks.

Reply to
Jordan

Thanks.

Please explain.

Calcs?

Reply to
Jordan

specific heat of water times flow rate times temperature difference needed to be heated you can look the fist value up, the other two will need to be measured

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

"swanny"

** That is a very neat idea !!

The low capacity unit supplies hot water for only a few minutes, then when it would otherwise run cold - it simply does not as the in-coming water is already H O T hot !!

A plug-in, 2kW rated, 10 litre unit would be fine.

I wonder if it is 100% legal under plumbing rules......

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I'd sugest the "lagging" trick first. clack rubber has tubes you can split and cable tie around the pipes to slow down the thermal loss.

Reply to
terryc

It was suggested and installed by a very reliable plumber. It's only about 10 litres and plugs in to a GPO next to the dishwasher.

Reply to
swanny