water heat

My bathroom is so far away from the water heater, it takes ages to get
hot water there. Is there an electric heater that can be fitted near the
tap to quickly heat up the initial flow, then turn itself off when it
senses the incoming water temperature is high enough?

Re: water heat

This is what you want:

<http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=chilipepper+hot+water&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid40%03294068767845604&sa=X&ei=ztkMUJLaOYnZigemtrS1DQ&ved0C%GoQ8wIwAg

Re: water heat

<http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=chilipepper+hot+water&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid40%03294068767845604&sa=X&ei=ztkMUJLaOYnZigemtrS1DQ&ved0C%GoQ8wIwAg

Thanks for that.
Interesting, but I'm not sure it's really what I want, because there
still wouldn't be any hot water available for some time. In my case it's
about 30 seconds in this weather. It'd be good for saving water though.

I'd prefer the "luxury" of instant hot water. A separate, automatic
switching heater, rather than a pump, could provide this. I don't think
the extra power needed for short term heating would be excessive.

I wonder if anyone sells these?

Re: water heat
<http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=chilipepper+hot+water&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid40%03294068767845604&sa=X&ei=ztkMUJLaOYnZigemtrS1DQ&ved0C%GoQ8wIwAg

Maybe the hot water unit for a shower - it probably has its own built in
thermostat if the water exceeds a certain temperature.

Re: water heat

Could be.

Re: water heat

yeah, any of those on-demand heaters would do the trick, they all have
thermostats.

you may need to have the house supply upgraded to 2 phase though.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: water heat

As a guess, his curren tank is off peak and the heater would have to be
on standard power. Might just need an extra circuit solely for the
instant heater.

Re: water heat

Could be. Main heater is gas instantaneous.

Re: water heat

I'd sugest the "lagging" trick first.
clack rubber has tubes you can split and cable tie around the pipes to
slow down the thermal loss.

Re: water heat

1) you could try lagging all the pipework from the heater tothe taps.
2) ou could install a HW recticulation system that pumps HW through a
loop to warm up the pipes before openig the taps.

Re: water heat

1) It'd still be very cold a lot of the time, so delay will still happen
even if lagged. Pipes are plastic.

2) That sounds wasteful. I think it's what they have in hospitals etc.

Re: water heat

I know someone who had this problem in their kitchen. They installed a
small electric hot water on demand unit under the sink, fed from the
main HW system. Worked just fine.

Re: water heat

Know what make, model?

Re: water heat

"swanny"

** That is a very neat idea  !!

The low capacity unit supplies hot water for only a few minutes, then when
it would otherwise run cold - it simply does not as the in-coming water is
already  H O T  hot   !!

A plug-in, 2kW rated, 10 litre unit would be fine.

I wonder if it is 100% legal under plumbing rules......

....  Phil

Re: water heat

It was suggested and installed by a very reliable plumber. It's only
about 10 litres and plugs in to a GPO next to the dishwasher.

Re: water heat

These guys have one:

http://www.stiebel.com.au/water-heating/products/dhc-instantaneous-single-phase-water-hea /

Several power ranges: 2.4kW to 9.6kW, the higher wattage units would
probably require upgrading the mains wiring.

It's meant to be fed with cold water so you'd have to check if it stops
heating once the incoming water warmed up, or conversely if it has a
limit to the output temperature (which is quite likely in these days of
safety consciousness).

HTH
Chris.

Re: water heat

http://www.stiebel.com.au/water-heating/products/dhc-instantaneous-single-phase-water-hea /

Worth checking, thanks.

Re: water heat

"Jordan"

 ** Tough.

** Nope.

The electrical power requirements for such a heater ( about 6 kW ) is
prohibitive, not to mention the high cost.

....  Phil

Re: water heat

Thanks.

Please explain.

Calcs?

Re: water heat

 specific heat of water

    times

  flow rate

    times

 temperature difference needed to be heated

you can look the fist value up, the other two will need to be measured

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Site Timeline