Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

Just reading about the sad case of the NSW woman electrocuted with a USB charger that did not meet Australian safety
standards.

see the video and story at:
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/warning-over-usb-chargers-after-woman-dies-from-apparent-electrocution-20140626-zsngd.html

NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe said a number of USB-style chargers, travel adaptors and power boards that did
not meet Australian safety standards had been removed from sale at a mobile phone accessory stall in Campsie, in
Sydney's south-west, following the death.

Mr Stowe said authorities were not aware until now of the large number of the cheap chargers that were available for
sale in NSW.

"This is the first time we've been aware of them in large numbers," he said.

well, you can buy a cheap ebay "made in china" USB 1A charger for $1 including postage.

see:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-DC-Power-Supply-Adapter-USB-Wall-Charger-US-AU-EU-UK-Plug-For-Phone-MP3-MP4-/141257752355?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&var=&hash=item20e39e3f23

I got three a long time ago (not this brand) to see what they were all about. I dropped one on the floor and the case
broke open.

Pray tell, how will they stop world wide users buying these death traps?

Cheers Don...

=====================

--
Don McKenzie

http://www.dontronics-shop.com

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

"Don McKenzie"

** The cause of death has not been determined -  from the very sketchy
details, it seems possible it was due to faulty USB charger being used with
a mobile phone. The woman's laptop may have provided the earth path.

IME, adaptors and chargers sent direct from China are not inherently
nsafe  -  they merely lack agency approval certification for Australia (
normally done in China anyhow) while carrying the relevant certification for
other countries.

This makes them illegal to supply here as certification and labelling of
such items is compulsory under legislation in each state. However, agency
certification only involves checking a few sample units and does NOT
guarantee any particular item sold is without safety flaw nor will never
develop one.

FYI  almost every modern (ie  switch mode/transformerless) AC adaptor I have
examined has the capability of becoming lethal in certain circumstances.
That it happens so rarely is the surprise.

....  Phil

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

Some may not be. The one I bought and examined certainly was.

   -  they merely lack agency approval certification for Australia (

They're supposed to be resist to tracking, and broken wire connections
shouldn't be capable of making the low voltage side live.

Sylvia.

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

"Sylvia Else"

** Ones that are *genuinely* approved for sale in Europe, the USA etc meet
all those requirements -  but will usually have a non Australian AC plug.

The fake Apple brand USB adaptors shown in Dave Jones video are not agency
approved for sale anywhere -  so whoever imports one of them becomes
pesonally liable for any harm that occurs.

The big trap for Australians is that China has adopted our AC plug  -  so
every piece of crap made for the home market
in China can be used here too.

....  Phil

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

China now mandates the Aussie 3-pin plug?
I thought it was only the Kiwis and some other South Pacific islands!
Or do you mean the Chinese have multiple standards?

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

Nope.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#China_CPCS-CCC_.28Type_I.29

Obvious lie.

He mangled the real story even with the one that looks like ours.

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

It was originally an American design, but yeah, the Chinese use
something very much like it, but upside down, and possibly shightly
different pin thickness.

China is big, they have multiple languages! But yeah, I think there
are some other plugs they use too.

--
umop apisdn

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

No possibly about it, definitely a different pin thickness.

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

"Jasen Bleatts"

** Wall outlets are fitted with the ground pin facing upwards - same as the
UK does it.

** Trivial difference due to metric system, 1/16 inch compared to 1.6mm.

The plugs are fully compatible with Aussie ones.

They copied our plug cos it was very cheap to make having all flat pins that
could be punched from the same sheet of metal.

Previously they had used copies of the two pin US and European plugs.

....  Phil

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

"pedro"

** Only a small fraction of residences in NSW have RCDs and no retro fitting
is required unless new circuits are installed.

Only very recently have they been mandated for all workplaces here too.

....  Phil

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution
It happens that Phil Allison formulated :

Do you know when?

My house has one and was built 1988. Installation seem original.
3 phase even Supplies Air Con and everyting.

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

"John G"

** Apparently it became law for *new power wiring installations* across
Australia, in 1992.

 Some states ( ie Qld) have laws that require retro fitting if a residential
property is sold.

....  Phil

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

A friend has done tear-downs that revealed totally inadequate spacing
between hot and cold sides, like 0.5mm track spacing, and other deadly
design features. If a unit is certified safe in any 220+ volt Western
country, you may be ok, but that's definitely not the only kind available.

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

Australian Male plugs have insulation on 50% of "pin" length
http://www.qiao-pu.com/upload/photo/545a3bd2430920dbee5f9dc4729689e4.jpg
The "pin" goes into socket the picture shows the insulation on the
phase and neutral "pins
--
Petzl
Life is hard, it's harder if you'r stupid

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

"Petzl"

** An agency approved USB wall charger for use in Australia will have the
following features:

1.  Two angled pins, half insulated from the base.

2.  A 39 mm dia round base from which the pins emerge.

3.  A C-tick symbol with a 3 or 4 digit number nearby commencing with the
letter N.

4.  Approval number beginning with the letters any of letters V, N, Q, S or
W followed by a multi digit number.

You should see all these on any wall adaptor sold here in the last 10 years
or so.

.... Phil

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

Just checked the charger supplied with my new Sony phone. check on 1, 3,
and 4, but the base is not round. it measures 38mm x 15 mm. It's also
got one of those square barcodes, but it's impossible to read

rgds,

Pete
Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

  Yes, I know all that. My *point* is that the article says "no
insulation ON pins" (emphasis mine), but the video says (c.q. seems to
say) "no insulation pins", i.e. *without* the "on" part. In this
context, the term "insulation pin" is utter non-sense.

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

Ebay has made it much easier for people to sell these things, so perhaps
they need to take some responsibility for it. No doubt they'd object,
but they're not beyond the reach of legislation.

If I'd thought it would have done any good, I've had sent details of my
analysis of the one I bought to Fair Trading. One can envisage an
arrangement where a safety body of a government could check that such an
analysis is correct, and if it is, forward it to Ebay. Ebay could
perform their own check, and if they also agree, ban the user doing the
selling (thus forcing them to start again with a zero positive
feedback). This would encourage sellers to make sure their products
won't electrocute people, even if they might still destroy the equipment
plugged into them.

Sylvia.

Re: Warning over USB chargers after woman dies from apparent electrocution

Even sillier than you usually manage.

The legislators aren't that stupid, you watch.

It wouldn't be any news to them.

It wouldn't be any news to them.

Pity about all the other sellers.

Pigs arse it would.