Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

Could someone tell me of a supplier in Australia of solder dissolving
solution to clean PCB's?

Thanks in advance,

Charles L

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

Flux??  try some metho

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

put finger to keyboard and composed:

I prefer isopropyl alcohol. Methylated spirits tends to leave a white
stain on some PCBs.

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

"Charles L"

**   Does this post earn Charles L the  "Fuckwit of the Year Award "   ??

...........  Phil

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

Gets my vote.

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

**And my vote. Google his name and read more of his stupidity. It is really
quite breath taking.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

It's called universal solvent, but you have to supply your own
container.  :)

--
John H

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

Well actually I tell a lie. The solution was actually to dissolve solder off
of some IC's. But
someone told me I can achieve much the same thing using flux and a solder
pot. I think I
might give that a go. Thanks for your help though.

Charles L

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

Any pool shop. Probably even Woolworths.
Get some strong hydrochloric acid, and put your PCB's in a glass container
overnight.

Should clean the solder off pretty effectively.

-mark

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:27:36 +1000, "mark jb" <nukeleer at internode
dot on dot net> etched in cyberspace:

Do you reckon that hydrochloric acid would damage ICs?.
If you could keep the air out it might prevent copper corroding, but
what about the tinning on the IC legs?
X X
X X

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

I would assume the acid would eat the legs of the thing off.
Haven't got any acid around to try it out though.

-mark

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

This must be a trol.

Anytrhing that will dissolve solder (usually lead and tin) will dissolve
any other metal in the vicinity.

Then the PCB will be a dead as a DoDo.
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

**Nope. Old Charlie boy is THAT stupid. Trust me on this. I've had
discussions with him before. He's (quite) a few sandwiches short of a
picnic.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

There is in fact a product that is only available in the US as far as I can
determine
that will dissolve solder and won't affect the copper on the PCB. I am
trying to
find out if something similar is available in Australia and I haven't been
able to find
to date hence my original post.

Unfortunately I doubt whether I find will be able to find such a product in
Australia.
There just isn't the market. The electronics industry in Australia is very
small and
altogether somewhat irrelevant in the global scheme of things. Australian
contributions
in electronic innovation have been minimal save for the 'Black Box' flight
recorder perhaps.

Charles L
is

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

been
very
Australian
flight

What type of metal are IC legs and resistor legs made of? If they are tin,
then whatever eats away at solder also eats away at your IC legs. My guess
is that IC legs are made of copper tinned with tin. Therefore anything that
eats away at your average 60/40 solder will do the same to components.

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

**Some are copper and some are steel. Most are gold or solder coated.

 If they are tin,

**Of course. We're still waiting for Charlie's cite.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

product
that

Yes, that's an important consideration that I overlooked. But this product
that I
discovered after doing some searching on the web could be used to clean
solder
off of the PCB without affecting the underlying copper. Removing solder from
the
legs of components will require another method so it seems.

Charles L

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

"Charles L"

 **  Now half way to China by the direct route.

..........  Phil

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

What you can only come up with the Black Box ??? without even trying I can
come up with :

The Fairlight CMI/CVI
QPSX Packet switching Technlogy
High resolution Sub Surface Radar (SSR)
The Automatic Totaliser ... Oh hang on that was NZ but then again we claim
NZ Acters/Actresses and Muso's as Aussie
The Bionic Ear
Jindalee
The CSIR mk 1 was considered a world leader at the time
The Electric Drill
Telephane (early Fax machine)
the principles behind Xerox photocopying
The refrigerator
Electronic pacemaker
Teleprinter

In fact given its Relatively small population Australia actually is
significant in terms of inventions on the world stage.

Now on to your original question the only process I can think of that sounds
even vaguley familiar (It does not involve dissolving solder however it is
supposed to be (I have not tried it) a convenient way of removing solder at
relatively low tempratures - In the order of <150C) is a process called
'Co-metalization' described at http://www.zeph.com/process.htm - I believe
Prime electronics in Sydney used to sell this stuff.

Regards
Richard Freeman

Re: Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

"Richard Freeman"

** The page describes a metal alloy being used to mix with existing solder,
pre-heated to 150C,  to form a lower melting point alloy so that SMD devices
can be removed.

Normal 60/40 solder is soft at 180C.

A Yankee dodge if I ever saw one.

Yawn  .....