Wanted: Supplier of solder dissolving solution

Could someone tell me of a supplier in Australia of solder dissolving solution to clean PCB's?

Thanks in advance,

Charles L

Reply to
Charles L

Flux?? try some metho

Reply to
Mark Harriss

"Charles L"

** Does this post earn Charles L the "Fuckwit of the Year Award " ??

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Gets my vote.

--
Regards ......... Rheilly Phoull
Reply to

It's called universal solvent, but you have to supply your own container. :)

-- John H

Reply to
John_H

**And my vote. Google his name and read more of his stupidity. It is really quite breath taking.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Any pool shop. Probably even Woolworths. Get some strong hydrochloric acid, and put your PCB's in a glass container overnight.

Should clean the solder off pretty effectively.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

Well actually I tell a lie. The solution was actually to dissolve solder off of some IC's. But someone told me I can achieve much the same thing using flux and a solder pot. I think I might give that a go. Thanks for your help though.

Charles L

Reply to
Charles L

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:27:36 +1000, "mark jb" etched in cyberspace:

Do you reckon that hydrochloric acid would damage ICs?. If you could keep the air out it might prevent copper corroding, but what about the tinning on the IC legs? X X X X X

Reply to
Octa Ex

I would assume the acid would eat the legs of the thing off. Haven't got any acid around to try it out though.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:48:24 +1000, Mark Harriss put finger to keyboard and composed:

I prefer isopropyl alcohol. Methylated spirits tends to leave a white stain on some PCBs.

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

This must be a trol.

Anytrhing that will dissolve solder (usually lead and tin) will dissolve any other metal in the vicinity.

Then the PCB will be a dead as a DoDo.

--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?
Reply to
John G

**Nope. Old Charlie boy is THAT stupid. Trust me on this. I've had discussions with him before. He's (quite) a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

There is in fact a product that is only available in the US as far as I can determine that will dissolve solder and won't affect the copper on the PCB. I am trying to find out if something similar is available in Australia and I haven't been able to find to date hence my original post.

Unfortunately I doubt whether I find will be able to find such a product in Australia. There just isn't the market. The electronics industry in Australia is very small and altogether somewhat irrelevant in the global scheme of things. Australian contributions in electronic innovation have been minimal save for the 'Black Box' flight recorder perhaps.

Charles L is

Reply to
Charles L

been

very

Australian

flight

What type of metal are IC legs and resistor legs made of? If they are tin, then whatever eats away at solder also eats away at your IC legs. My guess is that IC legs are made of copper tinned with tin. Therefore anything that eats away at your average 60/40 solder will do the same to components.

Reply to
Heywood Jablome

**Some are copper and some are steel. Most are gold or solder coated.

If they are tin,

**Of course. We're still waiting for Charlie's cite.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

product

that

Yes, that's an important consideration that I overlooked. But this product that I discovered after doing some searching on the web could be used to clean solder off of the PCB without affecting the underlying copper. Removing solder from the legs of components will require another method so it seems.

Charles L

Reply to
Charles L

"Charles L"

** Now half way to China by the direct route.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

What you can only come up with the Black Box ??? without even trying I can come up with :

The Fairlight CMI/CVI QPSX Packet switching Technlogy High resolution Sub Surface Radar (SSR) The Automatic Totaliser ... Oh hang on that was NZ but then again we claim NZ Acters/Actresses and Muso's as Aussie The Bionic Ear Jindalee The CSIR mk 1 was considered a world leader at the time The Electric Drill Telephane (early Fax machine) the principles behind Xerox photocopying The refrigerator Electronic pacemaker Teleprinter

In fact given its Relatively small population Australia actually is significant in terms of inventions on the world stage.

Now on to your original question the only process I can think of that sounds even vaguley familiar (It does not involve dissolving solder however it is supposed to be (I have not tried it) a convenient way of removing solder at relatively low tempratures - In the order of

Reply to
Richard Freeman

"Richard Freeman"

** The page describes a metal alloy being used to mix with existing solder, pre-heated to 150C, to form a lower melting point alloy so that SMD devices can be removed.

Normal 60/40 solder is soft at 180C.

A Yankee dodge if I ever saw one.

Yawn .....

Reply to