Wanted: smaller alternative to DB9 connector, but still robust

I need cable mounted 8 or 9 pin male and female connectors for a small
job (20 to 30 units).  I'd like something fairly robust, but smaller
than DB9* connectors if possible.

Peak of 80mA (but normally only 20mA) at 5v DC will be needed for the
power connections, everything else is logic level.  Disconnections and
reconnections will be infrequent.

DB9* connectors are my "fallback" position if I can't find anything else.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Peter

*Yes, I know that's not the correct name for those connectors, but we
both know that you know what I mean :-)

Re: Wanted: smaller alternative to DB9 connector, but still robust

what about RJ 45's, they are 8pin, and the cable, sockets and ends are
cheap, yet small.

otherwise you can use the mini-din connectors like svideo connectors
with more pins

Re: Wanted: smaller alternative to DB9 connector, but still robust

I'd considered RJ45 connectors, but the cable that's already attached to
one of the devices I need to connect isn't really suitable.

Also, although they may well exist, I don't think I've ever seen an RJ45
cable mounted socket.

In my experience, mini-din connectors fail my robustness requirement.

Thanks, Peter

Re: Wanted: smaller alternative to DB9 connector, but still robust

There are small pvc enclosures with RJ45 sockets built in, some have crimp
pins, flying leads etc. Options for the "back" of the socket are D9 or
cable. Look at C&K Switches Plus or whatever there name is this week.

Without knowing all your needs this info may or may not be useful.......

Re: Wanted: smaller alternative to DB9 connector, but still robust

you can get an rj 45 connector which is like a punch down style connector.
it has rj45 shielded (rj48c)on one end and a small 8 wire punch down block
on the other end and it is all consealed in a nice neat backshell. i have a
few of these if you want to try

Re: Wanted: smaller alternative to DB9 connector, but still robust

Thanks for the offer, but it sounds like it'd be bigger (or at least
much the same size) as the DB9 that I wanted to be smaller than.

Peter

Re: Wanted: smaller alternative to DB9 connector, but still robust

minifit juniors they are the way to go
or you could try a small euro connector
its wire wrapped but it will withstand an earthquake!

Re: Wanted: smaller alternative to DB9 connector, but still robust

Also molex microfit connectors

Re: Wanted: smaller alternative to DB9 connector, but still robust

How about the Hirose miniature round connectors - metal with screw or
push on locking.  Expensive though.  Farnell have them and I guess
also RS.  There is a similar Fujitsu range but don't know where you
would get them

Alan

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com

How have you found the cable retention on those Hirose units?  IMOE it sucks.

Re: Wanted: smaller alternative to DB9 connector, but still robust

I agree, it sucks!  I had some cables made up in China using the
Fujitsu Connectors (very similar to the Hirose) and they crimped the
strain relief and also used some kind of superglue.  Worked quite
well.

Biggest problem is soldering those darn small pins!
--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com
Re: Wanted: smaller alternative to DB9 connector, but still robust

You may want to look at the "b" series of Lemo connectors. Much
smaller than D connectors, much much more rugged, much much more
expensive!!
Maybe there is another source in Australia - I get mine from John
Barrys.
regards
GrantR

Re: Wanted: smaller alternative to DB9 connector, but still robust

Try a micro DIN plug similar to those used for keyboards on some computers.
They are available with up to 8 pins and are readily available from many
electronic component suppliers

Harry Pfeifer