Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun - Page 2

Re: A meter story (OT)

"Trevor Wilson"

** The Japanese are often very racist.

But that has NOTHING  to do with your original assertion above.

They are extremely "correct"  when dealing with each other.

Loss of " face " is their worst fear.

**  Insane crap.

**  Get lost.

.....  Phil

Re: A meter story (OT)

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:50:57 +1000, "Trevor Wilson"

:
:**Indeed. They go out of their way to pretend that they were the aggressors
:in WWII.
:

I think you meant "...NOT the agressors..."

Re: A meter story (OT)

**OUCH! Mea culpa.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: A meter story (OT)

:
:"Trevor Wilson"
:
:>
:> **Interesting story. I can tell you that, having visited Japan, I am
:> certain the that term 'politically correct' has no meaning in Japanese.
:
:
:** That only shows, yet boringly again, the TW congenital defective has no
:idea what the term even means.
:
:The Japanese are one of the most " politically correct " peoples on earth
:!!!
:
:To them, good manners are everything  -  the truth on nearly anything is not
:allowed to be spoken.

In the Japanese business world, women are not considered to be worthy of holding
any position of power. When Japanese male executives arrive in Australia and
find they are having to deal with female executives, they almost turn up their
noses and treat them with disdain - and that is while there are other Australian
male executives present. When males aren't present then it gets even worse....

I know this to be true because my wife has been in that situation.

Re: A meter story (OT)

"Ross Herbert"
Phil Allison

" The Japanese are one of the most " politically correct " peoples on earth
!!!
To them, good manners are everything  -  the truth on nearly anything is not
allowed to be spoken.   "

** Political correctness is not what you think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

.....  Phil

Re: A meter story (OT)

You have obviously never spent a night on the piss in Tokyo with a bunch
of salarymen.

Re: A meter story (OT)

I once worked with a Lebanese guy wiring guitar amps.  Whenever he
touched a chassis (some of you out there will know what a chassis is :-)
an imprint of his finger was left on the cad? plating.  Naturally I
never let him touch my skin!

David

Re: Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

I saw that video - and some of the posts - most pretty strange
including accusations of it being a "fluke advertisement".

Also, I had a couple of "cheap" digital meters in the 1980's (DSE) and
these were quite good, lasted many years, and did all I needed of
them, but remember that most of these "cheapies" were still japanese
made, and you can't compare a "cheap" meter from then with a "cheap"
meter from now - as the quality was no doubt much better then for the
"price range" in $AUD than what you get now.

Depending on your definition of Inflation in AUD, the "cheap" DSE
digital meters circa 1985 were around the $50 mark (From memory) which
today could equal as much as $150 today in real retail buying power.

When the second one expired (some LCD segments went bad after about 10
years) I lashed out and bought a fluke 87 (about $650AU at the time -
1995 or so) which I still use today without problems.

If the new model Fluke 87 that you reviewed is as good as the 90's
model in build quality - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to
anyone.

I would consider updating myself actually.

Re: Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

"KR"

I saw that video - and some of the posts - most pretty strange
including accusations of it being a "fluke advertisement".

** Fluke fans tend to be a bit rabid and Fluke haters are even worse.

Also, I had a couple of "cheap" digital meters in the 1980's (DSE) and
these were quite good, lasted many years, and did all I needed of
them, but remember that most of these "cheapies" were still japanese
made, and you can't compare a "cheap" meter from then with a "cheap"
meter from now - as the quality was no doubt much better then for the
"price range" in $AUD than what you get now.

** As I recall in the 80, the leading selling  DMMs brands in Aussie were
the likes of  of  SOAR and Kaise. Having "auto -ranging" was a massive plus
as it largely elimineted dicky switch troubles that plagued mosts budget
models with  30 plus position rotarys.

However, the real distinction between cheapies and meters like Fluke is in
the area of user safety and being accidental abuse proof.  Most cheapies are
just plain DANGEROUS if ever used on the AC mains or other high volatage,or
high current sources.

The three simple tests I suggested earlier in this thread should be passed
by any meter on sale - but sadly that is not the case.

Besides those -  it should  NEVER be possible for the leads of a DMM to
explode in an operator's face, or the banana plugs came out of the meter and
electrocute the operator when he/she trys to re-insert it.

Similarly, it must NOT be possible for the battery to fall out of its
compartment or even be accessed while the leads are still in use. Another
nasty electrocution hazard.

The SOAR and Kaise meters I saw or owned all failed all these VERY  basic
requirements.

......  Phil

Re: Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

I've got an old Soar autoranger (made in Japan), my first digital meter
given to me as a hand-me-down.
Still working to this day.
I remember that exact same model being used in the Fluke advertisements of
the day with the slogan "How to beat the high cost of cheap meters", that
showed the beat-up Soar next to the shiny new Fluke.
Range switches are still one of the biggest reliability issues in meter
design, so autorangers do indeed help a lot in this respect.
My Soar has a real independent traditional switch mechanism rather than just
contacts on the PCB pads and a plastic rotary wheel etc used in the cheaper
models.
The real cheapies use crap quality gold plating on the PCB contact pads,
they tarish quick and wear out even quicker.

Dave.

Re: Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

Yes, a lot of people didn't quite "get it".
There were many infuriated fans of cheap meters, particually on one
"hackers" forum, was rather humerous.

I've found the same thing, the older "cheap" meters were much better quality
than the ultra cheap meters of recent times.
Although the cheap meters have improved in the last couple of years as SMD
construction and machine assembly becomes more common. Still leaves lots of
issues though like component quality, overload protection, brittle plastic,
dicky range switches etc.

It is just as good if not better than the original. I've owned both.

Dave.