Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

One of my video blogs about cheap multimeters really got a lot of
interesting feedback, so I got to thinking it would be fun to do some
"torture tests" on a bunch of multimeters for a future blog. i.e. are
Fluke's really as rugged as they claim?, will a $20 cheapie actually survive
some horrid treatment etc

So I was wondering if anyone has any old digital multimeters they'd like to
donate for testing? It's ok if it's got dodgy screen segments or is out of
spec of whatever, so long as it works repeatabily on say DC volts, and works
well enough to give a reliable before/after pass/fail test.
Ideally I'd like to get a couple of Fluke's, a couple of no-name cheapies,
and maybe a couple of mid-range units. I'm on my way, but the more the
better.
Happy to pay postage of course.

And of course, ideas for testing accepted!

My reply email address is real.

Thanks
Dave.

Re: Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

    I always found you could smoke a Lutron on the 1000VDC range well
before 1000V due to board arcing and tracking

:
:So I was wondering if anyone has any old digital multimeters they'd like to
:donate for testing? It's ok if it's got dodgy screen segments or is out of
:spec of whatever, so long as it works repeatabily on say DC volts, and works
:well enough to give a reliable before/after pass/fail test.
:Ideally I'd like to get a couple of Fluke's, a couple of no-name cheapies,
:and maybe a couple of mid-range units. I'm on my way, but the more the
:better.
:Happy to pay postage of course.
:
:And of course, ideas for testing accepted!
:
:My reply email address is real.
:
:Thanks
:Dave.

The very first test you should conduct is the old "drop test" from 1.2M or
thereabouts to simulate knocking it off the work bench. After that you may not
have to carry out any further testing.

Re: Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

"Ross Herbert"

** One of the big advantages of DMMs is they tolerate such dropping very
well  -  I think the distance would have to be way more than 1.2m and the
landing be onto concrete or similar to get a result.

Often it is the simplest things that catch out poorly designed meters.

Try these:

With the meter set to AC or DC volts, apply the probes a few times to a
source of 600 volts AC or DC.

With the meter set to read 200mA, connect the probes across the 240 volt AC
supply.

Same with the meter set to read " ohms" .

The wearing of goggles and thick gloves is recommended.

.....   Phil

Re: Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

Especially with the rubber holster meters of course.
I have several tests somewhat beyond 1.2m in mind...

Yup, any of those would pretty much snot most of the cheapie meters.

Dave.

Re: Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

Shit I wouldn't try it with an expensive meter *I* paid for either!

MrT.

Re: Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

Geez Dave, that would probably snot some of the not so cheapies too. :-(

Re: Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

That's the problem, it shouldn't. Any meter designed properly (regardless of
price really) should be able to pass those tests without problem. Sadly many
don't.

Dave.

Re: Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

**I have a brand NOS, Russian made, analogue meter, which dates to around
1980. It's kind a fun thing to have around (I never use it) and the
instruction 'book' was worth the cost of the thing. It is packed in an
aluminium case, but is made from a brittle, cheap plastic. I'm still
considering sending it to you or putting it on eBay. I also have a couple of
very nive, wood cased, mirror scale jobbies. You ain't getting them.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:24:53 +1000, "David L. Jones"

I have a fluke 79 that suffered a cracked screen after i knocked if of
a wheelie bin. I bough a new LCD from Prime Electronics and fixed it,
then knocked it of a wheelie bin a week later (at the exact same
place). Its been about a 6 years since I broke it and I have not fixed
it. It still works, but the auto power of does not work anymore, I
need to replace the battery each time I use it because I alwasy forget
to turn it off.

Fluke, well not so tough. I wont give it to you but I will send you
some photos.

Re: Wanted: Old Multimeters for... umm... some blogging fun

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:33:36 +1000, The Real Andy

Oh, and if you want to know where I dropped it, it was at the boral
roof tile plant at Wacol in Queensland. Dropped when working on the
scale that measured how much conrete powder was in the silo. The scale
indicator was in a meter box on the wall, the same height as a wheelie
bin!

A meter story (OT)

Here's a meter story, apparently true.....

Way back the world experienced a widespread failing of analog panel meters,
at a time when the main OEM suppliers were in Japan. It turned out that the
tiny coils were corroding. Further investigation revealed that the corrosion
was due to contaminants that were introduced from the fingers of the women
doing the assembly, specifically during their menstruating period.
Apparently sweat composition changes during menstruation. I can't recall
whether the solution was to reschedule the workers, or to arrange for
gloves, or something else. You can imagine all sorts of politically
incorrect solutions here.

Re: A meter story (OT)

**Interesting story. I can tell you that, having visited Japan, I am certain
the that term 'politically correct' has no meaning in Japanese.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: A meter story (OT)

How about the story. The truth is that some people, not just women, have
different skin oil composition; aka  "rusty fingers" as it is called in
the metal working trades. Just look around any place where metal is
worked on and you will see finger. palm, hand, skin prints where the oil
from some people has caused surface corrosion.

Re: A meter story (OT)

and a little OT,  how some with dry skin anecdotally experience more ESD
zaps.

Re: A meter story (OT)

"Trevor Wilson"

** That only shows, yet boringly again, the TW congenital defective has no
idea what the term even means.

The Japanese are one of the most " politically correct " peoples on earth
!!!

To them, good manners are everything  -  the truth on nearly anything is not
allowed to be spoken.

As Basil Fawlty famously said:

" Don't mention the war.
  I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right. "

.....   Phil

Re: A meter story (OT)

Yup and the menustrating women are also blamed for bad motor rewinds as
well, I guess ya gotta blame someone who isnt in the gravy chain and who
cant answer back.

Rheilly P

Re: A meter story (OT)

In public maybe, they also understand the need for "the truth" otherwise
they would never have been as successful in many areas that they were/are.

Re: A meter story (OT)

We used to have a bloke at work, who said in all seriousness that you
could not have female butchers because once a month any meat they
touched turned black

Re: A meter story (OT)

**I suggest you pay a visit to Japan and observe how women, specifically
Chinese (and other Asian) women are treated. When I visited Japan, in 1987,
my then, girlfriend (who is of Chinese descent) accompanied me. I was
treated deferentially and very well. She, OTOH, was treated as if she was
something stuck to the shoe of Japanese men. They were rude, arrogant and
just plain nasty to her. As soon as I appeared, they simply ignored her and
spoke directly to me. She was clearly considered completely insignificant.
She was, however, treated quite well by Japanese women, who I found to be
charming and generally very demure.

**Indeed. They go out of their way to pretend that they were the aggressors
in WWII.

**Please contact me with a functioning email address, or your 'phone number.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Site Timeline