want a simple ladar detector - Page 2

Re: want a simple ladar detector

ignoramus?

   While you continue to call people names who expose your lies and
ignorance.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: want a simple ladar detector
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 22:13:28 -0000, Michael A. Terrell

ignoramus?

I have not lied on this group.  Point out the proof.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Re: want a simple ladar detector

doesn't matter what methos the cops are using.

Then your cops are cleverer than ours.  In the UK, cops have zero
qualifications.  They sit in the easy spots, same ones every time.  And you can
guarantee they will only be there in nice weather.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Re: want a simple ladar detector

Easier just to look, and avoid walking under them.

geoff

Re: want a simple ladar detector

Peter.... I have an instrument in all my vehicles that will eliminate
tickets for speeding. It is called a speedometer. WW

Re: want a simple ladar detector

    Isn't that weird? I was thinking exactly the same thing. Cheap too.

Re: want a simple ladar detector

Also wildly inaccurate.  Borrow a mate's GPS and compare.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Re: want a simple ladar detector

     I've got a GPS and the speedometer reads slightly high as all of
them do.

     [plonk]

Re: want a simple ladar detector

The GPS will probably give a slower speed reading than the true reading
if you are driving in anything other than a straight line, since it only
samples positions at discrete intervals and might just use linear
interpolation to work out a path between the positions for estimating
distance travelled.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
-----------------
-----------------

Re: want a simple ladar detector

Mine doesn't do that.  Perhaps the intervals are so close togehter it doesn't
matter.  If I walk along the street with it, it can tell the difference betwen
two points a metre apart.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Re: want a simple ladar detector

Exactly what I said.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Re: want a simple ladar detector
Almost all are now electronic, derived from the ABS sensor. Even my 10
year old people carrier is but the speedo is still inaccurate,
over-reading by 10% at 70MPH. And before Mr Terrell chips in, it's an
American made vehicle owned by a Brit.
Which is tiny providing you're not running on flat tyres. Calibration is
another matter entirely, the speedo on the car I got rid of four months
ago (which was 4 years old) had a distinct 'bump' in the calibration
around 70MPH which meant that at 65MPH it was almost spot on, by 70MPH
it was 8MPH over and by 85MPH it was again almost spot on.

To put to bed the stories about GPS being inaccurate;

http://www.rvc.ac.uk/sml/people/documents/WitteJBio2004GPS.pdf

Specifically section 5 on page 8. Conclusion, GPS is 10 times more
accurate than the average speedometer. Even on a non-straight course.

--
Clint Sharp

Re: want a simple ladar detector
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 21:18:07 -0000, Clint Sharp < snipped-for-privacy@clintsmc.demon.co=

I don't see why they should be inaccurate at all if derived from an ABS =
sensor.  Those things produce about 40 pulses per revolution of the whee=
l.  All the computer needs to know is the circumference of the tyre and =
the number of teeth on the pickup wheel.

-- =

http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com http:=
//www.petersphotos.com

Re: want a simple ladar detector
I agree entirely, they should be accurate providing you've not done
something stupid like fitting different size wheels but the speedo on
the car I have just got rid of had a definite 'bump' in the calibration
which I can only assume was put there on purpose because I can think of
no other reason for it to go non-linear.
--
Clint Sharp

Re: want a simple ladar detector

What is the final output stage?  Is it a moving coil meter?  Perhaps it was just
sticky?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Re: want a simple ladar detector
No, it was a company car and it was repeatable across several of my
colleagues cars. I *think* it was a stepper motor but I don't know and
wouldn't want to say for definite.
--
Clint Sharp

Re: want a simple ladar detector

they are headed to a different country?

   If they can't do the simple math to design an  accurate speedometer,
the rest of the car won't be any better.  If a critical safety component
is crap, the whole vehicle is.   Next, you'll try to convince me that
Lucas made the best automotive electrical components in the world.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: want a simple ladar detector
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:27:52 -0000, Michael A. Terrell

they are headed to a different country?

It is not a critical safety component.  Even if you insist that exceeding the
speed limit automatically makes you have an accident, they always OVERread,
hence if you sit the needle on the limit, you are not speeding.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Re: want a simple ladar detector

Two problems with that.  Firstly it's best to concentrate on the road, not the
dash.  Secondly, speed limits are far too low and must be broken.