want a simple ladar detector

Can you build a simple ladar detector using a standard 3pin IR receiver with
built in preamp of the type used in a lot of home audio/video appliances? Or
does it have to be a super sensitive one?
If so, then some part numbers would be appreciated.
And a schematic if one exists.
Thankyou in advance.
Peter

Re: want a simple ladar detector

Ladar detector?? - as in Laser Radar?

Dave.

Re: want a simple ladar detector

"David L. Jones"
 "Peter"

**  No.

The OP is obviously very superstitious, a bad speller and blind.

What he actually wants is a " ladder " detector,   so he can avoid ever
walking underneath one and suffering years of bad luck.

Bet he asks for a black cat detector next.

Meooow......

.....   Phil

Re: want a simple ladar detector
Wouldn't he ask for a "Blak kat" detector or similar.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: want a simple ladar detector

walking underneath one and suffering years of bad luck.
Been done over 30 years ago!  See Monty Python "Fish Licence" sketch about
the Cat detector van.

http://www.jumpstation.ca/recroom/comedy/python/fish.html

TT

Re: want a simple ladar detector
Correct I am talking about Laser speed dectection, hence the reference to an
IR (Infra Red) receiver.

Re: want a simple ladar detector

   The whole idea of using the laser is to let them pick out one vehicle
to check speed. They have already caught you if you are speeding, so
what good would it do?  Are you planning to outrun them?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: want a simple ladar detector
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 06:24:34 -0000, Michael A. Terrell

Presumably it's meant to pick up stray particles fomr the laser when they are
using it on the previous car.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Re: want a simple ladar detector

If you mean radar detector, as in speed cameras, don't.  They don't warn you
till it's too late, and they pick up loads of other crap, like the motion
detectors on traffic lights to adjust timings, and something on petrol stations,
and loads of other stuff.

Get a GPS and load a speed camera database onto it, it warns you a mile in
advance, giving you plewnty of time to slow down.  The database contains every
single fixed and mobile spot and can be purchased for a couple of quid from
various web sites.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Re: want a simple ladar detector
Thankyou for being one of the few who took this question seriously.
By "Ladar" I am refering to Laser speed detection. (And no I did not make
the term up)
As for "Radar", I have a GPS with fixed position speed cameras defined, so
I'm fine there.

Most comercial Radar detectors nowadays also detect Ladar (Laser - OK!)
So if anyone has one and feels game enough to open it up (this is an
electronics newsgroup isn't it!)
then if you post the InfraRed receiver part number, I can look up specs for
it and compare to a run of the mill model.

Re: want a simple ladar detector

     It's usually called LIDAR. There's not much point detecting it
because the beam only illuminates the vehicle whose speed is being
checked. The speed measurement takes only a few hundred milliseconds,
leaving you no time to do anything about it.
     About all you can do is install some kind of LIDAR countermeasure
system on your vehicle, which is no doubt illegal in most or all states.
     More info is at:

http://www.radarbusters.com/laserenforcementarticle.cfm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDAR#Military_and_law_enforcement

     And many other internet sites.

Re: want a simple ladar detector

Only if they know you have it.  You can get ones that fool the lidar detector
detectors the cops use.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Re: want a simple ladar detector

What part of "They don't warn  you till it's too late" didn't you
understand?
Peter is also correct when he says "and they pick up loads of other crap"

It won't work, forget it. The commercial ones are sold to a gullible public
who want to believe such a thing can actually work.

And just to answer your question, no, you cannot use the 3 pin type IR
receiver. They have a 38KHz bandpass filter, and hence will reject
everything else.

Dave.

Re: want a simple ladar detector
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 06:25:43 GMT, "Peter"

There is no defense against laser speed detectors.

Re: want a simple ladar detector

What's wrong with the GPS way?  It covers all the known hideout spots.  It
doesn't matter what methos the cops are using.

http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Re: want a simple ladar detector

doesn't matter what methos the cops are using.

You are kidding, right? "All the known hideout spots..." All of them?
Around here, that would be virtually the entire state, or at least
that part of the state where are are roads, at least. Get real, speed
traps are setup wherever the cop wants it to be.

Re: want a simple ladar detector

doesn't matter what methos the cops are using.

   Don't feed the troll.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: want a simple ladar detector
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:58:49 -0000, Michael A. Terrell

doesn't matter what methos the cops are using.

Don't be such an ignoramus.  I have a GPS, as do thousands of others.  And it
works.  NO speeding tickets.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Re: want a simple ladar detector

   Heed your own advice, troll.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: want a simple ladar detector
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 20:07:08 -0000, Michael A. Terrell

Why do you call someone a troll because their opinion differs to yours,
ignoramus?