Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

Hi again,
   I've taken apart a DSE Q1803 CRO to confirm why there was no trace
on the screen after it was sent through Australia Post, packed in its
own padded carton, inside an Australia Post carton with more padding,
marked 'Fragile'.
   These photos tell the story:

   http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/crt1.JPG
   http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/crt2.JPG

   Australia Post has said that the packing was adequate, but because
there was no external evidence of damage to the carton or CRO,
obviously their handling had nothing to do with it.
   The Commonwealth Ombudsman said Australia Post conducted an
adequate investigation into my complaint and has followed all the
rules, so too bad.
   This isn't the first time I've had electronic stuff damaged by
being violently thrown around by Australia Post. I've even heard of
them wrecking a cast iron 1927 sewing machine.
   If you want to send something which is the slightest bit fragile,
Australia Post are not the people to trust with it.

Bob

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

Post a carton of nitro-glycerine and see what they do with
that............................

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

**Australia Post is bad. However, if you REALLY want a truly appalling
freight company, you could use TNT. They have managed to destroy some very
sturdily constructed products (along with similarly sturdily constructed
packaging). By comparison, I have found Australia Post to be quite
reasonable.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

A drive we designed in the late 90's had some Smashed-On-Arrival
problems not long after release. The packaged unit was designed (and
tested) to pass a 1.5m drop test onto concrete. to break it in a similar
way we had to drop it from almost 3m. Turns out the package was able to
be grasped in one hand, and couriers were quite literally throwing them.
   we didnt have those problems with the larger frame sizes, as they
were too big and heavy to hold in one hand. I guess every now and then
they missed whatever they were throwing them at.

the only solution was to re-design the packaging to make it even tougher.

Cheers
Terry

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

I'll second that.  TNT managed to break an ME850 amplifier carefully packed
in its own custom made pinewood box with styrofoam inserts.  Not only that,
but what should have arrived the next day only took a week to get here.
Yes, TNT ...when it absolutely positively has to get there broken (and
late) - call TNT....

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:25:33 +0800, "Alan Rutlidge"

A lot of shipments we used to take from taiwan had built in breakage
detectors attached to the parcel. It was a small liquid filled glass
tube. If it was broken, the goods inside were assumed damaged and not
accepted.

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 03:14:11 +1000, The Real Andy

   That's what everyone sending things through Aussie Post should use.
But of course they'd just say the breakage detector was already broken
when it was posted & deny all responsibility like they did with this
CRO.

Bob

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

I had a holiday job with DMS once, years ago. We unpacked a large
microwave antenna, and found it was broken. It had smash detectors,
which changed colour when smashed (white -> red). some clever bugger had
painted over them with twink.... and because we had accepted the
delivery, the shipping company didnt want to know.

Cheers
Terry

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

They advised me that my parcel would have to survive a minimum 2
metre drop onto a concrete floor as the parcels often fall off the
end of the conveyor when the staff don't get to the parcel in time.

A guy I know swears that they empty steel bins full of parcels into
the back of trucks using a forklift type machine.

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 01:05:14 +1000, Bob Parker

The morons at Australia Post are too stupid to understand that an
article the size of a Reader's Digest can easily fit through an
opening the size of a Silicon Chip mag. It seems that nobody bothered
to screen these idiots with a square-peg-in-a-round-hole IQ test. As
for shipping damage, the mistake you made was to identify it as
fragile.

What bugs me is that no carrier will accept responsibility for the
goods they are paid to carry. The law expects *you* to insure yourself
against *their* negligence.

Based on my negative experiences with Australia Post, and with various
couriers, especially TNT, I can't recommend any carrier. There are too
many thieves, too many idiots, and too many lazy and malicious
bastards.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:40:54 +1000, Franc Zabkar

<snip>

Based on my experiences of doing contract jobs for transport/freight
companies I can assure you they are all the same. When you have
minimum wage, drug smoking casual staff driving the forklifts and
throwing the parcels around you are bound to get damage. Its for this
reason that you can make shitloads of money doing maintenance and
selling replacement parts to these companies!!!

Also based on my experiences of doing contract work, customs are by
far the worst of the lot.

At the end of the day, if you want compensation then buy insurance.
Unfrtunatly there is not much more you can do.

BTW: The worst I have seen is DHL, Toll Ipec. Australia post use a lot
of contracters, and that is where the problems lie. The auspost mail
handling facilities are actually fairly good.

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

Someone has to come out with a good story I guess.
I've shipped hundreds of fragile electronic items through Australia
post, never had a single problem.

On the lost/stolen side of things, I've shipped thousands of items
through Aust Post and never had a single one gone missing.

I've probably jinxed myself now right?

Dave :)

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

   Obviously you haven't been marking your packages "Fragile"!  :)

Bob

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

I guess he didn't want them to become more of a target ?

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:21:33 +1000, atec 77 <""atec 77 \"@

    I keep hearing rumours that Australia Post staff have a lot of fun
with packages marked "Fragile". That's what I was referring to.

   I've done a web page complete with all relevant communications
between Aust Post, the Ombudsperson and me. If you liked Sir Humphry's
beaurocratic red tape in "Yes Minister", you might find it
interesting...

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/Q1803/austpost.htm

Bob

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

I sent an artical today marked FRAGILE in huge letters with this way up
do not throw etc , and a logger.. will be interesting to see what happens .
  Qld to Vic

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 23:41:10 +1000, atec 77 <""atec 77 \"@

   I reckon the mail handlers will have some fun with that! Please
tell us what the logger recorded.

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

"Bob Parker"

** Was the CRO set to you  ( from DSE) or by you ?

  IOW -  how do you know when the damage happened.

BTW

 Is there any indication on that label of where the CRT was made?

 I see a lot of Chinese made valves with fractures in the glass where no
impact has occurred.

.......  Phil

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:42:35 +1000, "Phil Allison"

G'day Phil,
   A mate of mine happened to have one he'd used a little bit then
didn't need again, so I bought it off him. It was working fine for
months before he carefully packed it up and sent it to me by
registered post which automatically has insurance up to $100.
   It looks like the electron gun assembly flexed sideways and
fractured the glass where two of the electron gun supports touch it.
   Yeah, the CRT's a Chinese-made 8SJ31J which seems to be a fairly
common type. I'll see if I can find a replacement.
   I'm gunna put the whole story including correspondence between me
and Aust Post and the Ombudsperson on my website when I get the
chance.

Bob

Re: Wanna smash a CRT? Let Australia Post do it.

"Bob Parker"
Phil Allison

**  So was that David  ( aka  "quietguy" )  from Kalgoorlie ?

      Its a long trip from there to Sydney.

** Very hard to believe that is the result of a fall impact with zero damage
to the packaging or scope.

 The electron gun has SFA mass and is supported and centred by internal
metal springs.

 **  A new scope may well be cheaper.

 Last CRO tube a purchased ( a spare for my BWD 821) cost over $ 400.

** Have you asked the folk at DSE if they have had a similar experience ?

   Maybe those Chinese tubes are prone to this.

.......  Phil

Site Timeline