Wall Mounting Flat screen TV's

I have a flat screen LCD TV that I want to mount on the wall. There are no power points where I want to put it so my first thought was to put the power point behind the TV. Because of the depth of the mains Plug and Socket, it means that I will have to pack out the mounting. This is the easiest solution, but it will make the mounting and the packing visible when you walk into the room. I'm sure I am not the first one to come up against this problem so I'm wondering if others have found a solution. It is possible to buy special recessed sockets in the US which allow the plug and socket to be below the wall surface (they are called Clock Boxes),but I cannot locate anything like it in Australia. Perhaps someone will know of something similar. See:

How were the cables hidden when you wall mounted your Plasma or LCD TV?

DD

Reply to
DD

Why not pack it out - are you that starved for room-space or taken in by the "ultra-slim-TV-is-an-end-in-itself" theorum ?

One way would be to hard-wire the power cable into a flush plate like a fixed heater outlet.

Also, strongly suggest you mock up a tempoary mount where you plan to have it, and trial for a bit. This is because everybody I know who has mounted a TV on a wall has regretted the height it is at, and wished they had it back down at 'console' level, ie looking straight from a lounge chair - not upwards.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Side entry plug?

e.g.

These are actually what I use when I chomp IEC power cords to cut the cable tangle.

Reply to
terryc

If it is a gyprock wall just mount an ordinary outlet on it and use a side entry plug, these will fit easily behind most brackets. If it is a brick wall it is possible to cut, drill,chisel a recess and fit a wall box to allow flush mounting of the outlet. The clock plug and socket is available in aus but it is used on lighting circuit usually as the current rating is not suitable for normal power outlets.

Reply to
F Murtz

I don't want to pack it out from the wall because the flat screen we already have stands quite a way from the wall. When you enter the room by a door on the same wall as the TV, you can see all the wires and brackets it's just not neat! I don't think that hard wiring would be legal, that is a possibility that I will investigate. As we already have wall mounted TV's, the height is well defined but I do agree, the most common mistake is to mount it too high.

DD

Reply to
DD

I always use the side entry plugs when I have fixed appliances, I think they look the best and don't get in the way so much. The wall is Gyprock but a standard outlet and side entry plug is still too thick. The mounting bracket I want to use is only 12mm off the back of the TV! There is a recess in the back of the TV where all the input/output plugs are sited and I intend to position the plug and socket to line up with this. I still need some clearance so that any ancillary plugs do not interfere. The TV is only rated at 115 watts so maybe the lighting clockbox will be legal, I will have to investigate...

DD

Reply to
DD

I looked at recessed power point adaptors, but they were too big to fit in the holes in the Jaycar mounting plate that I used. In the end I bought a thinner than usual power point from Cetnaj and mated it with a side entry plug. I got a similar plate for the antenna socket, I thought that I would need a right angle adaptor for it but there was just enough clearance for a standard Belling-Lee plug.

Reply to
keithr

So build a wood/gyrock surround for it. A quick trip to Bunnings, a few bits of dressed pine, a few nice cuts, some construction adhesive and a coat of paint and you'll have a nice surround around any existing screen mount. You won't even have to remove the screen, just glue the bits around it. (beware ventilation issues)

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

I had thought of something like you describe. I guess you wouldn't like to do the job?

DD

Reply to
DD

Where oh where did you see the recessed power point adaptors?

DD

Reply to
DD

cut a hole in the gyprock and mount a switch mounting box with its back against the side of a stud then mount the socket in that.

Jasen Betts

Why not see if you can find a low profile plug, like the ones often used on pwr boards etc where the cord enters the plug from the side rather than entering from behind. Mmmm, that just doesnt sound right does it.

Reply to
Royston Vasey

It's a wonder Clipsal and HPM marketing gurus haven't come across these and duplicated them for OZ use.

I assume it is a plug together affair, between bottom and top modules, like an extension cord. If it is, then no electrical wiring would be required, and could be manufactured as an approved product, that Aunty Mabel can install. (Well, providing she has basic handyman skills. The sort of girl that can lay a few bricks).

The day will come when you can hang up a large screen in much the same way as you would hang a large glazed picture. It is only a weight problem this decade. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I chased up on this a little more:

near the bottom, there is a video that explains it in detail.

Uses standard house wiring power cable inside the cavity, and you have to connect up the outlets at each end.

I can see problems getting this approved in oz. (But anyone can install ceiling insulation. :-) )

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

And indeed anyone can staple into electrical wiring.

Reply to
Ray

Sure, my wood work construction rate is double my engineering consulting rate though because I have to actually get my hands dirty.

No need to think about it much, just do it. Get some dressed pine, slap it together, paint it, and hold it in place to see how you like it before you glue or otherwise fix it to the wall. Only rudimentary wood working skills and tools required.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks again for your interest! What I have done is cut a template of the TV and attached it to the wall where I hope to put it. I will give it a week or so while the cables are organised and by then I should be certain. It is going in the bedroom so that we can sit in bed to watch TV or a DVD. My wife has a bad back and cannot sit for very long. I am not afraid of the carpentry, I have done things with wood all my life and I have a really good toolkit. Perhaps I will have to decline your kind offer, you sound very expensive!!

DD

Reply to
DD

We placed the bedroom telly in the fitted cupboards at rooms end (32"), at night simply open and view hence a normal cable and plug was used witha cheap wall mount

Reply to
atec7 7

Cetnaj Coffs Harbour, but they were big clumsy looking things. They were just a shell into which you mount a standard socket plate.

Reply to
keithr

Unfortunately, no cupboards!

DD