volume control problem

I am replacing a volume control pot on a sangean prd4 radio. The original unit has four pins and a pcb mount. I have found it difficult and expensive ($44) to get an original replacement. The fourth pin comes from a centre tap of the pot resistance and is taken to earth via a 2.7k R and a 473 cap in series. I assume this is to give the 50kb linear pot a log response but I don't know. I would like to replace the pot with a 3 pin 50k pcb mount pot from jaycar. I was thinking I could I use a 50kA log pot and ignore the fourth pin or possibly use a linear pot and connect the centre pin to the fourth pin connection as well. Alternatively, does anyone know where I could obtain a suitable four pin pot?

Reply to
bristan

The pot you describe sounds like it has a "loudness" tap. Basically at low volumes it cuts the treble a bit, making the bass a bit stronger in relation to the other frequencies, so it sounds a bit fuller. A standard pot should work just fine, but may sound a little tinny at lower volumes. Dunno where you'd get a replacement loudness pot these days. A decade or so ago they were common as dirt.

--
What is the difference between a duck?
Reply to

Reply to