Voice only mobile phone?

Do they still sell voice only mobile phones?

Hopefully with a rechargeable card (prepaid).

SWMBO was given one recently and we thought it might be useful to keep
it for emergencies, but it has sms and fax msgs. As she is a teacher
this is a definite not on (only takes a kids to nick it and sms a sign
up to blow all the prepaid).

Whilst we don't like them, we recognise that a voice only one would be
useful.

Re: Voice only mobile phone?

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:30:36 +1000, Terryc

You should be able to get the carrier to disable all the network
features you don't want.

I had this with "Mobile Internet" on my Tel$tra mobile.  It was very
conveniently located on the keypad so that a sinmgle keypress brought
it up!  Needless to say it kept logging on accidently and I had to
insist that Tel$tra disable the facility.

All I want to do is talk on my phone - no e-mails, sms, internet
nothing!

It will be interesting when we get forced to give up our CDMA phones
and migrate to Nex G - what the hell do I need a camera in a phone
for?
--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com

Yeah, it gives me the craps with all these new "features" that all
phones have - I just want to be able to make phone calls and the odd
text message, and from my time selling the things, that's all that most
people over 25 want. The 15-25 yo's are pretty much the only ones
driving the market with all the whizzbangery. In 2-1/2 years of owning a
camera phone, i've only found it useful once. She Who Must Be Obeyed was
crook and sent me out to buy a bookcase. I was able to take pictures of
potential candidates and MMS them to her for her verdict. Certainly a
feature I could live without. I used it for novelty use in the first few
months of ownership - I think I've gone 12 months now without using the
camera once.

Re: Voice only mobile phone?

What I hate about the modern phones are the colour screens. You can't
see the damn things when the backlight is off, so it's next to
impossible to just glance at the display to see if you had a call or
sms etc.

Dave :)

Re: Voice only mobile phone?

Bring back rotary-dial I say! :)

Re: Voice only mobile phone?

What a decadic lifestyle that would promote!

Re: Voice only mobile phone?

I wouldn't mind at all , spent many happy hours looking for faults

Re: Voice only mobile phone?

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:59:37 GMT, swanny

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/8/11/4958
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id28%7

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com
Re: Voice only mobile phone?

And I heard that they are selling quite a few of them in yanksville too.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Re: Voice only mobile phone?

put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'm waiting for someone to design a PC keyboard using only a mobile
phone keypad. It would be just the thing for those pretentious,
one-handed SMS typists who reckon it's unkewl to reach for the Shift
key.

- Franc Zabkar