Vintage Stock

In my effort to clean up my garage I am agonising over whether to dump
or not to dump :)
I have a batch of never used boards that contain DIL 14 CMOS TC74C04P
(quad 2 input hex NAND) soldered in double sided FR4 pcbs, in batches of
70x12 panel boards (840 chips). The chips have been produced in 1985 and
I have no reason to believe that they are defective. With the right
equipment they could be de-soldered easily.

If you can make use of them you can collect them for free, or I can
arrange shipping at your expense. I am in Scarborough, Perth.

Cheers

Tony

Re: Vintage Stock

An email might help:

tselectronics AT iinet.net.au

Re: Vintage Stock
to dump :)
input hex NAND) soldered in double sided FR4 pcbs, in batches of 70x12 panel
boards (840 chips). The chips have been produced in 1985 and I have no reason to
believe that they are defective. With the right equipment they could be
de-soldered easily.
shipping at your expense. I am in Scarborough, Perth.

Hi Tony,

I have some experience with giving stuff away for free. People take it as it
seems a bargain at the time, then they decide they don't really need it and they
dump it because it did not cost them a cent. This is exactly what you wanted to
avoid and you put some effort into advertising the goods, then they are too lazy
to do the same. It is incredible how the fact that someone have paid money
changes the whole scheme of things, even if its a dollar or two.

Put it on Ebay for 99 cents, at least that way you'll have reasonable chance
your stuff won't end up in landfill because of someones laziness.

Tom

Re: Vintage Stock

Thanks Tom,
good idea:)

Tony

Re: Vintage Stock

I used the free oscilloscope I got from here for years. I did eventually
send it to the scrap metal yard when it stopped working but I did get
many years of service from it.

Re: Vintage Stock

DIL chips are easily liberated from double sided boards with a blowlamp and
a suitable IC extraction tool.

Not a regular workman's blowlamp (unless working outdoors), but a hobbyist's
"pencil blowlamp" - often sold with a catalytic solder tip accesory.

With very little practice you can have the chips out with less heating than
if you used a "big bertha" solder tip. But the PCB fibreglass doesn't fare
so well!

When I first started salvaging ICs this way I didn't have a proper IC
pulling tool, so used bull-nose pliers, every once in a while the chip I was
pulling came apart, I described this to another engineer who commented that
I was simply weeding out the defective packages and wasn't losing as much as
I thought.

After a while I made an IC puller by bending hooks on the end of steel
tweezers - a few weeks later, what used to be Practical Television presented
a manufactured IC puller as the front cover freebie.

Site Timeline