Video stabilizers

Hello,

A couple of movies I ordered on Foxtel Box Office this week were apparently Macrovision protected. It upset the picture when I watched it through a VCR (to which my stereo sound system is connected), even though I wasn't recording. I can get around this without replugging cables by watching directly on the TV via the antenna cable, putting the TV sound volume on zero and going through the VCR just for the stereo sound. However, I also tape a lot of stuff to watch on delay, and I can't do that with protected movies.

Someone suggested getting a video stabilizer to defeat Macrovision. There's one here:

I'm just after general info about these things: how well they work, any unwanted side effects etc., and any suggstions that might be helpful.

Reply to
DavidW

"DavidW"

** In what way exactly ??

This is important to know.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

When not recording the picture was usually darker than normal and flickered light and dark in an apparently random manner. I recorded the first film overnight so I only have the tape copy. That was much worse. It repeated a cycle lasting about 25 seconds where there was a lot of horizontal noise and jittering of the picture, mostly left and right, then a period when it was noise-free and the picture was stable.

Reply to
DavidW

** That sounds like MacroVision.
** That sounds like a dirty video head.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Maybe it's dirty, but it records any other channel without any problems. When I was experimenting with the second film I could hear the VCR motors making strange squeaking noises when recording the Box Office channel, but as soon as I changed the channel they quietened down.

Reply to
DavidW

I can't vouch for that exact model, but in general those things work flawlessly. Afaik the only undesirable side effects is the space and power they consume, neither of which is usually significant, also in some places they may be illegal.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Thanks. I guess I'll be getting one.

Reply to
DavidW

Something just occurred to me. This thing is called a Digital Video Stabiliser. What's digital about it?

Reply to
DavidW

"DavidW"

** Video stabilisers normally contain a few " digital " ICs - to regenerate and clean up the synch pulses.

That is enough excuse for makers to put the magic word in the name.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison