Video stabilizers

Hello,

A couple of movies I ordered on Foxtel Box Office this week were apparently
Macrovision protected. It upset the picture when I watched it through a VCR (to
which my stereo sound system is connected), even though I wasn't recording. I
can get around this without replugging cables by watching directly on the TV
via the antenna cable, putting the TV sound volume on zero and going through
the VCR just for the stereo sound. However, I also tape a lot of stuff to watch
on delay, and I can't do that with protected movies.

Someone suggested getting a video stabilizer to defeat Macrovision. There's one
here:
http://www.digitalmegahouse.com.au/stabiliser.html

I'm just after general info about these things: how well they work, any
unwanted side effects etc., and any suggstions that might be helpful.

Re: Video stabilizers

"DavidW"

**  In what way exactly ??

This is important to know.

.....  Phil

Re: Video stabilizers

When not recording the picture was usually darker than normal and flickered
light and dark in an apparently random manner. I recorded the first film
overnight so I only have the tape copy. That was much worse. It repeated a
cycle lasting about 25 seconds where there was a lot of horizontal noise and
jittering of the picture, mostly left and right, then a period when it was
noise-free and the picture was stable.

Re: Video stabilizers

"DavidW"

 **  That sounds like MacroVision.

**  That sounds like a dirty video head.

...   Phil

Re: Video stabilizers

Maybe it's dirty, but it records any other channel without any problems. When I
was experimenting with the second film I could hear the VCR motors making
strange squeaking noises when recording the Box Office channel, but as soon as
I changed the channel they quietened down.

Re: Video stabilizers

I can't vouch for that exact model, but in general those things work
flawlessly. Afaik the only undesirable side effects is the space and
power they consume, neither of which is usually significant, also in
some places they may be illegal.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Video stabilizers

Thanks. I guess I'll be getting one.

Re: Video stabilizers

Something just occurred to me. This thing is called a Digital Video Stabiliser.
What's digital about it?

Re: Video stabilizers

"DavidW"

**  Video stabilisers normally contain a few " digital "  ICs  -  to
regenerate and clean up the synch pulses.

That is enough excuse for makers to put the magic word in the name.

.....   Phil

Site Timeline