video pinout on old monitor

Hi, We have an ancient proprietary workstation that has to remain in service. The brand X monitor on it has just died. The video cable is an ordinary 9-core ribbbon with a DB-9 on the monitor end. Does this suggest any particular video format, and pinout? TIA

Reply to
Bruce Varley

It might be an old CGA monitor pinout These had a digital R,G,B output (high=colour on low=off) and an intensity line that went high for full brightness and low for half brightness, and 2 syncs (H+V) The rest of the pins were the usual earth for each signal.

If this is the case, you wont be able to use an LCD monitor, as these wont go down that far in resolution. You will need a monitor such as an old arcade type monitor, or a converter unit to make it VGA.

CGA [Color Graphics Adapter]: The CGA standard [1981] supports several different modes; the highest quality text mode is 80x25 characters in

16 colors. The monitors are digital with a composite signal which is at TTL logic levels; Hs, Vs, and RGBI all at TTL logic levels. This is an OBSOLETE bus.

The cable uses a 9-Pin D connector. The pinout follows: Pin 1: GND, Pin 2: GND, Pin 3: Red, Pin 4: Green, Pin 5: Blue, Pin 6: Intensity, Pin 7: NC, Pin 8: Horizontal Sync, Pin 9: Vertical Sync. GND = Ground, NC = No Connect

Reply to
kreed

Thanks, that's everything we need to know.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 18:45:10 +0800, "Bruce Varley" put finger to keyboard and composed:

It would help if you measured the H & V frequencies and determined the pinout with an oscilloscope. In addition to what has already been said, note that EGA monitors were also 9-pin. Some flavours of VGA used 9-pin, too.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

an

suggest

it suggests EGA, but probably isn't.

What sort of resolution, colours, etc, did the display give?

I once found 21" fixed sunc monochrome monitor that worked best with the analogue input voltage the other side of ground, and ran some wierd sync rate at around 50Hz with 900 lines.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen