video pinout on old monitor

Hi,  We have an ancient proprietary workstation that has to remain in
service. The brand X monitor on it has just died. The video cable is an
ordinary 9-core ribbbon with a DB-9 on the monitor end. Does this suggest
any particular video format, and pinout?   TIA

Re: video pinout on old monitor

It might be an old CGA monitor pinout  These had a digital R,G,B
output (high=colour on low=off) and an intensity line that went high
for full brightness and low for half brightness, and 2 syncs (H+V) The
rest of the pins were the usual earth for each signal.

If this is the case, you wont be able to use an LCD monitor, as these
wont go down that far in resolution. You will need a monitor such as
an old arcade type monitor, or a converter unit to make it VGA.

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Monitor_Buses.html

CGA [Color Graphics Adapter]: The CGA standard [1981] supports several
different modes; the highest quality text mode is 80x25 characters in
16 colors. The monitors are digital with a composite signal which is
at TTL logic levels; Hs, Vs, and RGBI all at TTL logic levels. This is
an OBSOLETE bus.

The cable uses a 9-Pin D connector. The pinout follows:
Pin 1: GND, Pin 2: GND, Pin 3: Red, Pin 4: Green, Pin 5: Blue, Pin 6:
Intensity, Pin 7: NC, Pin 8: Horizontal Sync, Pin 9: Vertical Sync.
GND = Ground, NC = No Connect

Re: video pinout on old monitor

Thanks, that's everything we need to know.

Re: video pinout on old monitor

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 18:45:10 +0800, "Bruce Varley"

It would help if you measured the H & V frequencies and determined the
pinout with an oscilloscope. In addition to what has already been
said, note that EGA monitors were also 9-pin. Some flavours of VGA
used 9-pin, too.

 http://pinouts.ru/Video/EGA_pinout.shtml
 http://pinouts.ru/Video/CGA_pinout.shtml
 http://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA9_pinout.shtml

- Franc Zabkar

Re: video pinout on old monitor

an
suggest

it suggests EGA, but probably isn't.

What sort of resolution, colours, etc, did the display give?

I once found 21" fixed sunc monochrome monitor that worked best with
the analogue input voltage the other side of ground, and ran some
wierd sync rate at around 50Hz with 900 lines.

Bye.
   Jasen

Site Timeline