VHS TAPE to DVD How to - Page 2

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

NO

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Yep. I proved that with the stuff you deleted from the quoting, fuckwit.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

No you did not.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Everyone can see for themselves that you are lying to your teeth, again.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Through your teeth, another one you have mangled Roddles...

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Mine isnt an opinion, it’s a fact.

Then you either bought some shit media or used a shit burner.

Then a shit burner was used.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Yep. And the speed of recording has a significant effect on the exposure
of the dyes. Too slow and you overexpose, leading to fuzzy edges and
eventual bleed across bits. Too fast and it's underexposed, leading to
fade out and loss of data.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to
Not entirely correct, not entirely incorrect either.

Recordable CD and DVD media kept in a dark dry environment will last for
quite some time. Kept in the sunlight and it could be "erased" in
considerably less time than a couple of years. CD-R and DVD-R media have
a lifespan of ~25 years but that is when stored in ideal conditions and
not subject to physical abuse. Quality of the storage media also plays a
very large part.

Back in the 90s, I archived a significant amount of information related
to my work on CD-R media. I used very expensive media back then. All
those discs, at least those I still retain from that era, are still
readable. That is due to their storage in the most ideal conditions I
can provide.

I did transfer a lot of the CD-R data to DVD-R a couple of years back
thereby reducing the storage volume considerably. In the near future I
may commence a move to BluRay media since my PowerMac is equipped with a
BluRay burner. I would have made that move much sooner but first grade
BluRay media was ridiculously expensive for quite some time after I
bought the PowerMac in 2005 or thereabouts.

I currently have a MacPro Server which will have 8 TeraBytes of storage
capacity by month end. It will be used to house my ISO files in the
future. As insurance, I keep ISO files of stored CDs and DVDs on hard
drive. This is not a difficult task given the state of play with current
hard drive media capacity and provides me with much more ready access to
my files.

--

Krypsis

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

I don’t even bother with cases anymore, let alone
keep them in the dark, and havent lost even one.

And so does what you burn them with too.

Mine too.

Nope, because I didn’t bother and got the same result.

I don’t bother. So mine have been around a lot longer than yours.

I'd put it on a couple of xTB drives instead.

So why bother with blueray media at all ?

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

For the most part, mine are stored in slimline jewel cases which are in
turn stored in cardboard cartons. I had thought of dispensing with the
jewel cases but I have no shortage of storage space so, for the moment,
the jewel cases stay. I noticed recently that I still had a large box of
empty jewel cases. These were from the CDs which contained less critical
data so I dispensed with the CDs themselves and retained the cases for
DVDs. That was in excess of 1,000 CDs, if my memory serves me correctly.
Ah, technology advances create such waste!

I tend to use Pioneer burners these days and I find the speed of the
burn the most critical issue. I never burn at full speed. With CDs, I
typically burn at 8x, sometimes 16x. DVDs usually at 4x. A colleague of
mine used to burn his at the maximum speed his drive was capable of. I
found his disks very iffy to read on any of my drives. Never could
understand why he was so obssessed with speed as he had plenty of time
on his hands. Reliability of the burn was a much more important criteria
in my estimation.

My archived data is critical, I'd rather not take the chance on
readability down the track as the storage issue isn't a difficult one.

Not really since I kept all the CD-Rs from which the important data had
been transferred. My first CD Burner was a SCSI 2x burner which used
caddies. The caddies were a blasted nuisance. Can't recall what I paid
for it but it wasn't cheap. The first CD reader I had was an external
SCSI unit that cost me in the order of $5,000 back sometime in the mid
80s. Probably still have all the original receipts kicking around here
somewhere.

That's what I'm currently in the process of doing. It was on 8 x 1TB
drives. I have just moved it all to 2 x 2TB drives. Took about 40+ hours
to transfer but required little actual effort on my part other than
initiating each transfer and then waiting until it finished. I have
another 3 TBs stored on various external hard disk drives here and I
will add them to my server when I get another couple of 2 TB drives.

Note, I said I "may commence a move to BluRay media". It seems much less
likely now given the price and capacity of hard disk drives, not to
mention much more effort.

--

Krypsis

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

G'day Rod,

What's your take on a good burner ??

Rheilly P

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

The LGs.

Re: VHS TAPE to DVD How to

Go to Dick Smith and buy a box.

Regions only apply if you set one when authoring.

geoff

Site Timeline