VHF Spectrum use

** Can anyone living *outside* the capitol cites of Australia say what if
any use is being made of the VHF spectrum -  particularly around 174-181MHz
aka TV channel 6.

The ACMA web site is hopeless at such info.

....   Phil

Re: VHF Spectrum use

I'm in Bendigo, what info you looking for? Results of a channel scan?
Only got a UHF TV antenna here. Still have an analog TV card in old PC.

Grant.

Re: VHF Spectrum use

"Grant"

** Any chance you can get hold of a VHF radio scanner and zoom across the
band mentioned ?

    Any idea if the local taxis, tow trucks or police are on that band ?

....  Phil

Re: VHF Spectrum use
Hi Phil,

Other than the allocated VHF TV channels you already know about, there
are no business band radio channels in that part of the spectrum. The
band from 150MHz to 165.200MHz is frequently used by two way radio and
then 165.200MHz to 174.000MHz is used for VHF trunking radio systems and
some ethnic narrow casters in the upper end.

Above that there is fuck all to be heard except the TV channels all the
way up to UHF aviation band which starts around 260MHz.

I do extensive scanning of VHF bands and I dont think I have ever found
anything in the area you are interested in.

Hope this helps, Art.

Re: VHF Spectrum use

"Art Vanderlay"

** That is excellent information  !!

   Confirms my long held suspicions too.

   Thanx heaps.

....  Phil

Re: VHF Spectrum use
    The ACMA sight may be hard to work out but there inspectors will soon
sort it out for you if they find you transmitting in the wrong part of
the spectrum.
    Had a complaint from a local phone company relating to my 900 mhz wifi
link ( 922 with a 10mhz wide 28db including gain) All was with in the
rules but it would have been a bad day if it was not.

Darren

Re: VHF Spectrum use

"darren"

** My query relates to the use of radio microphone systems.

Many UHF radio mics use the same part of the spectrum as UHF television does
( 520 to 820 MHz )  -  users are expected to avoid using the same
frequencies as local broadcasters. Most units sold over the last 15 years
have multi frequency capability.

Same goes for those using the VHF band, thousands of fixed frequency units
were sold that operated in the bands allocated to TV channels 6, 8 and 11  -
now occupied by digital TV in the capitol cities.

However, outside the capitols digital and analogue TV is all on UHF.

...   Phil

Re: VHF Spectrum use

You've got that arse about face. Wireless mics have to avoid the TV signals
for their own benefit -   TV signals make the mic is totally unusable .
Their output is resticted to 10mW (or now 50mW in non-TV bands).

For ATV sysytems, wireless mics can actually operate in the blank spots
between sound and video within a TV channel. However that doesn't work for
DTV as the whole bandwidth is used and the eireless mic will only receive
'noise'.

The TV / Wireless mic aspect has been operating in a shared-spectrum
scenario for decades without a problem. Have you found a problem or
something ?

There are still wireless mics operating on VHF - usually pretty old ones.
Same problem, but again not a problem for TVs - just for the mics.

geoff

Re: VHF Spectrum use

"geoff" = Sheep Shagging FUCKWIT

** Having a hairy arse in your face is SOP for fuckheads like you.

**  Where did I say otherwise  ???

    You sheep shagging  PILE  OF  KIWI  SHIT !!

** Absolutely false.

** Complete bullshit.

** More asinine bullshit.

  My god you are a pig ignorant MORON.

  Fuck Off and Die.

Re: VHF Spectrum use
.> ** Complete bullshit.

I guess (by the absence of any meaningful discussion) that means in his own
'special way' that Phyllis is agreeing with me.

Anyway, what would I know, only using and servicing these things for
decades.  Toasters - now thems a diffrint thing,

geoff

Re: VHF Spectrum use

CFA Vic 163 MHz IIRC.

Site Timeline