VGA extension cable

I need to make a short VGA extension cable for a PC, mainly due to the
custom case having a bar near where the video card plug is.

I found the pinout here http://www.bbdsoft.com/video.html
I take it I only need 8 cables to connect between the male and female ends
to get the monitor working? Also do the ground pins (5, 6, 7, 8 & 10) just
get connected together?

Thanks
Grenge

Re: VGA extension cable

"Grenge"

  **  Huh ??

 You can buy one for peanuts.

 See   DSE,  WES  etc.

.......  Phil

Re: VGA extension cable

I need one that has a small plug on it, as in the old ribben cable that was
used years ago for serial cables.
Basicly the cable only needs to be at least 50mm long because of the space
limitations and a lage plug won't fit in the space.

Re: VGA extension cable

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 20:59:54 +1000, "Grenge"

At 50mm you can use esentially any wire. Find a solder tail HD15 male
and female connecter and just solder the needed wires pin to pin.

Re: VGA extension cable

I ended up doing that, and it works fine. In fact it is the monitor I'm
using right now.
Thanks for the help

was
space

Re: VGA extension cable

I had problems with my old 20" sony monitor shadowing and not being crisp.
Was a monitor extension cable at fault. Tried 3 different ones, 2 were from
a different manufacturer and it still shadowed.
I nearly threw the monitor out!

Rob

Re: VGA extension cable

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 11:50:05 GMT, "R1rob"

50mm is not a long cable.

Re: VGA extension cable

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 21:37:10 +1000, "Grenge"

Pins 6,7,8 are the RGB ground returns. They shouldn't be lumped
together. A good quality extension cable will have 75 ohm coax for
each of the RGB signals. If you use ordinary wire, as is the case with
a cheap cable that I have, you may see ghosting at high resolutions. I
have made my own quality extension cables, for use with a KVM box, by
re-terminating VGA leads from scrapped monitors.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: VGA extension cable

Wire all the pins straight through.
depending on how long "short" is using shielded conductors for the red,green,
and blue signals may be a good idea.

Bye.
   Jasen

Site Timeline