Very Pricey Radio ?

** This recent eBay sale in Sydney is hard to believe:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sky-Raider-light-blue-bakelite-valve-radio_W0QQitemZ280171016722QQihZ018QQcategoryZ933QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$ 4300  for a 1950s, plastic case, non working valve radio ??

.......   Phil

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sky-Raider-light-blue-bakelite-valve-radio_W0QQitemZ280171016722QQihZ018QQcategoryZ933QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Considering its condition, that's mind-boggling .....

Untested.  May only be good for spare parts.
Case is a bit worn but should polish up ok.  Small piece broken off the
bottom at the back around one of the mounting screws and a crack by the
corresponding screw on the other side.
Transfer on the back of the glass dial has half lifted off.
Speaker cloth dirty and a bit floppy.
Not sure if the knobs are original.
A bit dirty inside with some surface rust.
Power cord has been snipped off.

    I wonder how much someone would pay if it worked?

Bob

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

Yes, does sound hard to believe.
Bought by a person with a feedback of 1. So might just be the seller
putting in a fake auction to get some "price history" on the product
before duping someone for real. Wait and see if it pops up again in
few weeks.

Dave.

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

:
: ** This recent eBay sale in Sydney is hard to believe:
:
:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sky-Raider-light-blue-bakelite-valve-radio_W0QQitemZ280171016722QQihZ018QQcategoryZ933QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
:
:
: $ 4300  for a 1950s, plastic case, non working valve radio
??
:
:
:
:
:
: .......   Phil
:
You're only cranky because someone beat you to the verge
collection that week!

TT

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sky-Raider-light-blue-bakelite-valve-radio_W0QQitemZ280171016722QQihZ018QQcategoryZ933QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

**Cool. There's a couple of those things at the back of my mum's garage. I
think I know what I want for Christmas.

Trevor Wilson

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sky-Raider-light-blue-bakelite-valve-radio_W0QQitemZ280171016722QQihZ018QQcategoryZ933QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bizzare? Thought it may, in some way, be rare/valuable - but not if this
other reference (and the only one I came across with a quick bit of
searching) to a Skyraider radio is anything to go by...
http://www.southcom.com.au/~pauledgr/Skyraider.htm
Cheers

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sky-Raider-light-blue-bakelite-valve-radio_W0QQitemZ280171016722QQihZ018QQcategoryZ933QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Something very wrong here. One of my hobbies is old radio gear and there is
absolutely no way any plastic radio would fetch that price. A tenth of it
just possibly but even 1920s gear on wooden baseboards with ebonite panels
fetches around half that price at the most, and there are only one or two
plastic models that a truly sought after and can command prices of aroung
$300-$400.

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

   Catalin (a type of early plastic) radios are rare, because most of
the cabinets made from Catalin have disintegrated.  The survivors bring
BIG bucks.  If you don't believe me, ask on

prove it.
Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

"Phil Allison"
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sky-Raider-light-blue-bakelite-valve-radio_W0QQitemZ280171016722QQihZ018QQcategoryZ933QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

** The seller  ( ecocivic )  is now claiming he got the money yesterday.

 Click on  " cilmery38 " to see the feedback.

 I see it,  but I  doaaaannnnnn  believe it.

......  Phil

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sky-Raider-light-blue-bakelite-valve-radio_W0QQitemZ280171016722QQihZ018QQcategoryZ933QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't worry Phil.  Sooner or later there will be a similar over-priced
market for second-hand vintage and art-deco toasters.
With all your "fix it" expertise in this area, you could make a killing so
to say. :p

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

I think we all may carry an opinion on the transaction, however
I see no reason to be indignant, there appears to be a lack
of fraudulent behaviour, and there has been an offer and acceptance
if the deal is to be believed.
The radio in this case is not worth your estimation, but the purchaser's.

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

$c30e37c6@lon-reader.news.telstra.net:

 I think you're missing the point: there is no purchaser. The likely
situation here is that the seller and the purchaser are the same
person. He shills up the price to a ridiculously high level, offers
the item for sale again a week later using the eBay 'sale' as 'evidence'
of the item's 'worth' despite that it 'fell through' for reasons
beyond his control.

GB
--
 "Most police misconduct occurs when citizens challenge an individual
  officer's authority" (Reiss, 1971 c.in Jermier & Berkes 1979)

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

No, I took the point GB, but that is speculation.
would not the vendor have to pay ebay the fee
for the dummy sale in that case?
Rod.

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

Yes he does have to pay it (unless he claims the buyer did not pay and
files a "dispute", but you can't do this often). But that fee is
insignificant if he gets an extra few hundred bucks (or more) the next
time it sells to a real sucker. He only has to make an extra profit
like that on one sale to pay for lots of other fake sales to "setup"
his little vintage radio business over time.

Dave.

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

Cheers, thanks for the clarification Dave.

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

You're both missing the point. You should only bid what YOU reckon it's
worth. If you're raising your bid to outbid the opposition then you're
not using the system correctly. Place your bid and then look away until
the item is sold, don't go back and keep upping the price. If the
auction fails because the reserve price is not met then the seller has
to review his ideas. Buying at a high price only encourages sellers to
sell them at a high price. Stick to your guns.

Dorf

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

 Haven't missed a thing. See "The Winners Curse". Read up on the
psychology of auction situations. The practice of shilling up the
item's 'value' is a very effective means for influencing the next
mug punter's view of what the item is worth.

 Maybe so. Fact remains, almost all punters are 'using the system
incorrectly'.

GB
--
.sig

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

You really  don't have any  bloody idea,  do  you.  The idea  is  to
out-bid the opposition, that's why it's called an  Auction.
  but if you want to play  silly  buggers,  that's  your  choice

   bassett

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

Pot - Kettle - Toaster - Black - again!

<snipped usual assinine abuse>

As the Full Moon approaches me thinks Philthy should start taking his meds
again!

TT

Re: Very Pricey Radio ?

This has to be false bids!  I would believe 4300 pennies at the most! (US
ones)

I had one similar to that back in the 60's. It was nothing special, and it
was not the best performer.

I must admit...  I am getting old!

--

JANA