very basic question

On a computer 3 pronged mains plug, which is L, N and G?

Re: very basic question

"John"

** What ambiguous drivel.

 PCs use IEC leads with a female plug at the PC end -  so no prongs.

.......   Phil

Re: very basic question

You've been a great help.

I was looking for something like this:

http://www.rayheffer.com/iec.shtml

Re: very basic question

Or this

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/reference/reference_draw.htm

Kevin Martin

--
To Reply, delete what is "Not Required" in abbreviated form

Dangerous: Male IEC lead

"John"

** Looking at the IEC female plug,  with the earth pin uppermost,

then from left to right it is :   Neutral  -   Earth  -   Active.

The  IEC female plug is known as a C13.

It is " female " because it has sockets, not pins  !!

That idiotic web page you found from some half witted compewter geek
got everything  100 %  dead WRONG.

The imbecile who wrote it does not even know male from female.

IMPORTANT:

The IEC male socket ( aka C14)  must  NEVER  be attached to the end of a AC
power cord  -   since that creates a  100%  LETHAL   male to male lead.

.......    Phil

Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

see http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/data/pinout/iec.htm

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

I thought you would be amused.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

PS and yes I didn't notice until you pointed it out. It is
actually very hard to find a correct and clear IEC plug and
socket wiring guide on the net.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

"aussiblu"

**  If you find one -   post it.

.......   Phil

Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

<http://www.switchcraft.com/products/pdf_files/connector-55b_schematic.pdf
prove it.
Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

Can't see any 'pinouts' given there just dimensions.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

   Then you didn't look very close.  'L", 'N', and 'E' are shown,
exactly where Switchcraft molds it into their products.  It is visible
on their EAC227, EAC327, EAC309,EAC315, and EAC311 drawings.

prove it.
Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

Sorry; aging eyes after blowing them up to 200% I can see them.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

   200%?  Hell, that's where I *start*, and I use a 22 inch monitor. ;-)

prove it.
Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

Hopefully the rewirable connectors are not being made in China
by someone using a web site as  a labelling guide though.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

And if you do a Google image search for "IEC plug" or "IEC
socket" even those selling them mix the terms around 50% of the
time. So much for IEC being a standard.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

"aussiblu"

** The problem seems to be with the meaning of the terms " plug" and "socket
".

The common  IEC  C13  " plug "  is a female connector  -  for obvious safety
reasons.  It  *plugs*  into a mating socket which is male, since it has
pins.

The way most makers have long described connectors like these is to
completely  AVOID   the use of  " plug " and " socket" .

Instead, the terms " line male" or  "line female" are used for ones that
attach to cables  &  " panel male " or  " panel female"  for the ones that
mount on equipment.

This pretty much eliminates the ambiguity of  " plug "  and  " socket "  -
for most people that is.

There is no accounting for autistic IT geeks lacking even one scintilla of
common sense or it seems the basics of the  "birds and bees" .

.....   Phil

Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

So is Wikipedia wrong here too
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320

--
Regards
Blue

Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

Firstly it can't really be wrong since no connection details are given.
Secondly why would anyone trust Wikipedia anyway? Sometimes it might be
right of course, but knowing when it is frequently wrong is the problem. And
if you are already sure, why bother looking?

MrT.

Re: Dangerous: Male IEC lead

I was asking was it wrong in what it describes as a socket.

--
Regards
Blue