VAST HDTV audio quality?

It's generally claimed to be hi fi quality but appears to me to be anything but. I don't even have good hearing so audiophile standards aren't being applied either.

Decoder is the standard Altech DSD4121, feeding an AV receiver (Yamaha RX-V571) via HDMI. Speakers (R, L and centre) are Peerless HDS from WES (455's and a 255C).

Live voice (TV studio) is acceptable, and much better than I'd expect to hear from any TV set. From there it's all downhill. Recorded programs and movies are ratshit compared to DVD or CD... poor stereo image and dull sound being the norm.

I don't have access to terrestial HDTV, or even FM radio, to make any comparisons there and although I haven't run them side by side my gut feeling is it's no better (or worse) than the old Aurora system.

So who's the culprit?... The receiving equipment, The VAST signal, or the TV stations?

I'm also curious as to how VAST audio compares with terrestial HDTV?

--
John H
Reply to