Varispeed for small shaded pole motors

Hi, The fan motor in my range hood just burnt out. I can't get the agent to
talk to me about a replacement, so I've sourced a similar motor myself. It's
a small shaded pole single phase motor, rated 240V 0.32A. The original was
two speed, the new one is single speed. How do these little motors handle
VVVF control? Any suggestions for a good supplier for a really compact,
simple varispeed controller?  TIA

Re: Varispeed for small shaded pole motors

Why not try an electronic ceiling fan speed controller?, usually about
$20 if you shop around.

Re: Varispeed for small shaded pole motors

those sort of fans are usually slowed by reducing the voltage and
relying on the fact that load torque drops faster than speed.

try a series capacitor.

Re: Varispeed for small shaded pole motors

3 speed Ceiling fan speed controls usually use a series capacitor
(actually 2 of them for 2 different reduced speed settings)
I would check this if you are buying one, make sure its not the triac
type as this wont work.

A low wattage fluro ballast may work too.  - I have seen this method
used to reduce the speed of a small AC fan, simply by limiting the
current  (though its probably bodgy :).  If you have any lying around
its worth a try.  (note - use only magnetic ballast, not electronic
ones).

Re: Varispeed for small shaded pole motors

3 speed Ceiling fan speed controls usually use a series capacitor
(actually 2 of them for 2 different reduced speed settings)
I would check this if you are buying one, make sure its not the triac
type as this wont work.

A low wattage fluro ballast may work too.  - I have seen this method
used to reduce the speed of a small AC fan, simply by limiting the
current  (though its probably bodgy :).  If you have any lying around
its worth a try.  (note - use only magnetic ballast, not electronic
ones).

Re: Varispeed for small shaded pole motors

How was the speed varied on the old motor ?  did it have 2 windings
(taps) and switched between them ?

Re: Varispeed for small shaded pole motors

How was the speed varied on the old motor ?  did it have 2 windings
(taps) and switched between them ?

Yep, switched windings.

Re: Varispeed for small shaded pole motors: Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. A 2u mains rated cap did the
job fine.