Valves nowadays (just a reflection by a oldie)

Reflecting on that recent post on the Jaycar 'valve' amp, and how piss-weak
the current valve fad is compared to how things used to be when valves were
useful rather than trendy. The biggest valves around these days in
commercial audiophool gear seem to be EL34s or something similar, which are
scarcely worth a sniff if you're talking power, or brag value.

If any of these guys is for real, where are the pushpull 4-400As with 3KV on
the anodes?  And wouldn't some of these guys get their rocks off from 872A
MV rectifiers rather than boring Silicon diodes, watching the flickering
blue light as the music goes up and down.

Re: Valves nowadays (just a reflection by a oldie)

Sorry Bruce, not quite an on topic reply....I lifted this link from S.E.D.,
not sure if its been on aus.electronics yet. It shows hand fabrication of a
valve.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3wrzo_fabrication-dune-lampe-triode_tech

Re: Valves nowadays (just a reflection by a oldie)

   Or a pair of forced air cooled 4CX3500s?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Valves nowadays (just a reflection by a oldie)

**Now that's more like it. Much better than all those "girly valves". They
don't provide the warm, friendly glow that appeals to the nutters though.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Valves nowadays (just a reflection by a oldie)

   The 4X3500 would be glass, instead of ceramic, but the glass versions
of the 4Xxxxx family tended to melt, and didn't have a warm glow, they
lit the room.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Valves nowadays (just a reflection by a oldie)
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:37:11 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Speaking of lighting the room with a valve, I wonder what kind of
effect you would get if you modulated the RGB cathodes in a CRT with
audio instead of video (R=woofer, G=mid-range, B=tweeter), and the G2
grid with volume, either directly at the gun, or via the video signal
source.

:-)

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Valves nowadays (just a reflection by a oldie)

   That depends on whether you still have vertical & horizontal sweep.
Without them you would saturate a small spot near the center of the
screen, and quickly burn out the phosphors.  Even if you disabled the
focus, it wouldn't fill the whole screen.  I have played with applying 1
volt of audio to the video input of a video keyer unit at a B&W TV
station. Sine waves looked like horizontal bowling ins, due to the
missing DC offset. Triangle & Square waves just created garbage.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Valves nowadays (just a reflection by a oldie)

This is my guitar amplifier, I think it qualifies as being bigger than
an EL34.

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/1235741933058818295nMGNxn?vhost3D%e =
ntertainment

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/1235742381058818295OECFCw?vhost3D%e =