Valves are NOT dead .....

**  They still keep up with the times ...

 http://tinyurl.com/g5s5b

.......   Phil

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

The mind boggles when you think about what time, effort and accuracy of
design and build is required to make these things work.

Mark Kelepouris

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

Very pretty !!
Heh, would be great in a cold climate to offset the heating bill :-).
Some project !!

--

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Where theres a will, I want to be in it.

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

How does using electricity to heat a valve filament offset your heating
bill?
(especially if you don't normally use electricity for heating)
It certainly increases your cooling bill though.

MrT.

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

AHHHH rrriiiiggghhhtt !!
Glad ya enjoyed the joke Enstein :-)

--

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Where theres a will, I want to be in it.

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:32:01 +0800, "Rheilly Phoull"

  I chuckled, anyway. ;-)
  If you reckon that clock's complex using valves as logic elements,
think about the Colossus computer with 1,500 valves used by the Poms
in WW2 to help break the German Enigma codes
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer ].
   That would have been great in the middle of winter!

Bob

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

Yup, the Poms arent all that silly either !!
Good little number in winter as ya say :-)

--

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Where theres a will, I want to be in it.

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

They used to strip off to keep cool in the computer room - quite a few of
the female operators got knocked up while working there!!!

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

They used to strip off to keep cool in the computer room - quite a few of
the female operators got knocked up while working there!!!

***** Source??

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

A documentary on UKTV history channel about Bletchly Park - the
codebreakers. One of the original codebreakers in an interview mentioned
that maternity leave was higher among female staff at BP and attributed it
to the removal of garments in the heat of the computer room!

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

"ian field"

 **  LOL

   Not too many male staff would be eligible....

 **  Myth  -   not fact.

.... Phil

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

 Agreed. I did some digging, wasn't able to substantiate the
claim. Sounds like someone's having a lend!

GB, I ran a web-based questionnaire the other day. Turns out that
    100% of people have access to the Internet.
--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

True story: When i was a teenager, we had a water fight one day. I had a
twenty dollar note (paper) in my pocket. I thought the quickest way to dry
it was to place it on top of my old valve radio. An hour, or so, later I
returned to find a small pile of ash. Twenty dollars in those days was half
a weeks wages.

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

**The guy seems to have a surplus of spare time. BTW: I have seen a 'pocket
watch' size digital clock using Nixie tubes somewhere in my surfing.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

have a old muse tube amp, used it on a amstrad
computer, in the winter i used it as a foot warmer.

Re: Valves are NOT dead .....

I like the Nixie Tube Cable TV set top box here
http://www.lupinesystems.com/cablebox /

--
Regards
Blue