Vacuum tube alley

Back when I was a schoolkid, the place to go was Oxford Street, Sydney (long
before it became the haunt of gay men and trendy eateries). J. Keep was the
place to go. A little, wizened old man, with tobacco stained fingers,
hunched over and a barking voice. The place was an Aladdin's cave of
goodies. All sorts of relics from the PMG (aka: Telstra) and various arms of
the defence forces. The prices were low and I always felt sorry for the poor
old bugger, who seemed to be barely eking out a living. He owned half the
street.

Further up the road were the rip-off merchants - Deitch Brothers. More
upmarket gear, but always interesting. Nothing was ever in my price range
though.

For the mugs, there was Radio House, where the prices were obscene.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Vacuum tube alley

    Yep, that's the Joe Keep and his shop I remember!

Bob

Re: Vacuum tube alley

(long
the
arms of
poor
the
range

Further up towards Taylor Square there was also Waltham's Radio IIRC,
another disposals mecca.

Chas.

Re: Vacuum tube alley

**Waltham Dan - The Radio Man. I forgot about him.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Vacuum tube alley

I remember him well, Trevors comment about him owning half the street
had some basis of truth.  There was a brass plaque above the door with
J.Keep ELECTRICIAN engraved on it.  When you went inside the shop it
was mostly in darkness - I think there was a bare 25w bulb suspended
above the counter and not much natural light coming through the shop
windows because they were covered in perpetual grime.

Deitch Bros were expensive. Further up the road was Waltham Trading
Company which also sold war surplus, but at cheaper prices.  They had a
bargain basement downstairs that contained all sorts of interesting stuff.

Down on the corner of York St was Martin De Launay (thanks for the
photos Phil), a couple of doors further down was George Brown & Co in a
basement shop probably where David Reid used to be.

I also used to visit John Carr & Co in Haymarket who sold electronic
parts for the OEM market.  They later became Jaycar electronics.

Out at Stanmore there was National Radio Supplies. At Enmore there was
Tudor Radio which later became LE Chapman at Curl Curl after he closed
the shop.   Further down Parramatta Rd was Paragon Radio that sold war
surplus.   Out on the Princes Hwy at Tempe was Tempe Disposals (they had
a fullsize WW2 searchlight mounted on the street frontage) and sold a
lot of old Radar gear.  In later years the searchlight disappeared and
they began selling building materials

Thanks to all those that have conributed to this thread, it's been
interesting reading.

Wasp
---------

Re: Vacuum tube alley

I just remembered that was Clarence St (David Reid was in York St).

Re: Vacuum tube alley

My mistake, George Brown and Martin De Launay were actually in Clarence
St as Phil correctly pointed out. David Reid was in York.  It gets a bit
hazy going back 40 years!

More Photo's
------------
George Brown was roughly where the truck is parked on the footpath
http://www2.photosau.com/cityofsydney/scripts/ExtSearch.asp?SearchTerm02%4029

Another shot showing Martin De Launay and more distant view down
Clarence St.
http://www2.photosau.com/CityofSydney/scripts/ExtSearch.asp?SearchTerm00%5901

You can also go here and get a larger copy of the photos - click on
thumbnail and the next photo for largest view.  (Enter the archive
number in the search form - 024029 or 005901 and click search)
http://www2.photosau.com/cityofsydney/scripts/home.asp

Wasp

Re: Vacuum tube alley

     And of course ACE Radio in Marrickville run by another Joe, a good
bloke as I recall.
     I used to rummage around Tempe Disposals. Good for cheap 2nd hand
fluorescent light fittings and lots of other stuff. :)

Bob

Re: Vacuum tube alley

--------------D971F053D4A5E8B542A6BCD0

He was a funny old bugger - when I was a kid of 14 he gave me a job fixing up
surplus stuff for a pittance - and I had to take the stuff home (to Villawood
where I lived then) fix it and bring it back!  Might have been good for my
muscles, but exploitive.  But as kid it made me feel grown up to be asked to
work so I didn't complain

David

--------------D971F053D4A5E8B542A6BCD0

He was a funny old bugger - when I was a kid of 14 he gave me a job fixing
up surplus stuff for a pittance - and I had to take the stuff home (to
Villawood where I lived then) fix it and bring it back!&nbsp; Might have
been good for my muscles, but exploitive.&nbsp; But as kid it made me feel
grown up to be asked to work so I didn't complain
Oxford Street, Sydney (long
was the
arms of
the poor