vacuum insulated electric kettles ?

With all the push towards lower power consumption in home appliances, like new standards for standby power consumption of televisions and DVD players, why hasn't anyone bothered trying to put some thermal insulation around an electric kettle ? According to

Apparently we spend %11.6 of our electricity (and hence CO2 emissions) on powering standby circuits inside household appliances.

I mean, I measured an electric kettle that boils 2 cups of water (typical amount of water remaining after one pours a cup of tea) consumes about 200kJ, multiply by 5 times a day and you have 1MJ/day of wasted heat. Thats equal to running a 60W lamp for 5hrs a day. A cheap Chinese stainless steel vacuum insulated hot water flask can hold water at near boiling for several hours. So why hasn't anyone put these two inventions together ?

Adam

Reply to
Adam S

In winter the kettle adds to the net heat input to the house. Also, many appliances have plastic or insulated bodies which cuts the heat loss.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

"Adam S"

** Nothing stops YOU from storing any unused hot water in a vacuum flask and either using it directy at a later time or returning it to the kettle if it needs re heating.

In fact, I reckon every die hard Greene out there is morally bound to do so !

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Green or Greene?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

"Homer J Simpson"...

** I meant to write " Greenie ".

BTW

I am doing a heat loss test on my 50L electric water heater - will post results soon.

It will make the kettle case look totally silly.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Look at instant electric heaters. They have to work better than the UK ones.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

err, because you don't get a nice cup of tea from lukewarm water.

Reply to
Terryc

When I started at college I started making a full pot of coffee in the morning and keeping it in a flask so I could drink it throughout the day. This does keep the coffee piping hot for about 6 hours, so I can have a nice hot brew when I get home too. When I realised this I started doing this even on days I wasnt at college, which saves on my electricity, which is great cos im poor :D

When I do ever boil a kettle (which isnt often as I have a coffee machine) I usually only boil what I need (ie 1 cup). I cant see any reason why you would have to boil 5 cups of water to make one cup of tea.

Reply to
Mark Fortune

Unfortunately most electric kettles need to boil 2 cups or more, (would be a crap kettle that needs 5) to stop the element overheating. I sometimes heat a single cup of water in the microwave, but haven't bothered to calculate whether there is any cost benefit, or deficit.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

No, in their hearts.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

The only true wilderness is found between a greenies ears.

Reply to
Two Bob

--
http://www.amazon.com/s.html/104-2076769-8719962?ie=UTF8&me=AIIPVFX3AG363&field-keywords=immersion%20heater