vacuum insulated electric kettles ?

With all the push towards lower power consumption in home appliances,
like new standards for standby power consumption of televisions and DVD
players, why hasn't anyone bothered trying to put some thermal
insulation around an electric kettle ?
According to
http://www.energyrating.gov.au/library/pubs/200304-storesurveyexecsumm.pdf

Apparently we spend %11.6 of our electricity (and hence CO2 emissions)
on powering standby circuits inside household appliances.

I mean, I measured an electric kettle that boils 2 cups of water
(typical amount of water remaining after one pours a cup of tea)
consumes about 200kJ, multiply by 5 times a day and you have 1MJ/day of
wasted heat. Thats equal to running a 60W lamp for 5hrs a day. A cheap
Chinese stainless steel vacuum insulated hot water flask can hold water
at near boiling for several hours. So why hasn't anyone put these two
inventions together ?

Adam

Re: vacuum insulated electric kettles ?

In winter the kettle adds to the net heat input to the house. Also, many
appliances have plastic or insulated bodies which cuts the heat loss.

Re: vacuum insulated electric kettles ?

"Adam S"

** Nothing stops  YOU   from storing any unused hot water in a vacuum flask
and either using it directy at a later time or returning it to the kettle if
it needs re heating.

In fact, I reckon every die hard Greene out there is morally bound to do so
!

......   Phil

Re: vacuum insulated electric kettles ?

Green or Greene?

Re: vacuum insulated electric kettles ?

"Homer J Simpson"...

**  I meant to write  " Greenie ".

BTW

I am doing a heat loss test on my 50L  electric water heater  -  will post
results soon.

It will make the kettle case look totally silly.

.......  Phil

Re: vacuum insulated electric kettles ?

Look at instant electric heaters. They have to work better than the UK ones.

Re: vacuum insulated electric kettles ?

The only true wilderness is found between a greenies ears.

Re: vacuum insulated electric kettles ?

No, in their hearts.

Re: vacuum insulated electric kettles ?

err, because you don't get a nice cup of tea from lukewarm water.

Re: vacuum insulated electric kettles ?

When I started at college I started making a full pot of coffee in the
morning and keeping it in a flask so I could drink it throughout the
day. This does keep the coffee piping hot for about 6 hours, so I can
have a nice hot brew when I get home too. When I realised this I started
doing this even on days I wasnt at college, which saves on my
electricity, which is great cos im poor :D

When I do ever boil a kettle (which isnt often as I have a coffee
machine) I usually only boil what I need (ie 1 cup). I cant see any
reason why you would have to boil 5 cups of water to make one cup of tea.

Re: vacuum insulated electric kettles ?

Unfortunately most electric kettles need to boil 2 cups or more, (would be a
crap kettle that needs 5) to stop the element overheating.
I sometimes heat a single cup of water in the microwave, but haven't
bothered to calculate whether there is any cost benefit, or deficit.

MrT.

Re: vacuum insulated electric kettles ?

Site Timeline