Using electronic transformers with LED MR16 down-lights

Replacing the old halogen MR16 bulbs, I have no problems with the iron
core transformers.
However, with the electronic ones (mine are Nelson MTECOUGAR60), which
appear to be just small SMPSs, there is some uncertainty, as they have a
power range of 20 to 60 VA.
So what happens when they drive only 5W? I tried it and it still works.
No flickering, no dead LEDs.

But what are the general implications of having not enough load on an
"electronic transformer"?
Can it cause damage to the LEDs lights or the SMPS electronics?
How about the losses, bad efficiency with only 5W drawn?
Has anyone schematics I could look at?
Who's done it before? What's your experience?
What other (affordable) options are there?

Your input much appreciated.

Tony

Re: Using electronic transformers with LED MR16 down-lights

"Tony"

** Who said you could use them with LEDs ??

** Not the issue.

**  Not the issue.

** Not the issue.

** Google has.

** Only LED lights specified as suitable for high frequency (ie  50kHz)
PSUs.

    Instead of 12V DC.

....  Phil

Site Timeline