usenet

Have included aus cars as some seem to know about telstra.

Anyone using bigpond usenet and is it still working?
I have just spent the last few hours trying to find someone in bigpong
to talk to about the usenet service and no one knows what I am talking
about, I kept getting transferred about to no where,even once to movie
service each time long wait.
even tried ombudsman, only got two complaint nos.from him.
Maybe they just switched it off like some providers.

Re: usenet
just go to eternal.september.org and open a free account. They offer a
usenet server service that updates quickly and works with no hassles.
I have been using them for some time now since my isp stopped doing
usenet (nobody there knew what it was either!).

regards, Art

Re: usenet
I am using eternal-september but I want access to bigpongs server (it
allows binaries)

Re: usenet
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    Have been using E/S for a couple of years. Apart from the occasional
server overload (Apparent) is good value  :-)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/images/smilies/cheers.gifHave you
ever noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot,and anyone
Re: usenet

I had trouble with "eternal-september" about a week ago, so I shifted to
their "Reader80.eternal-september" - port 80. Working well and didn't
need to re-register.

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
   Thnx for the heads up ;-)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/images/smilies/cheers.gifHave you
ever noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot,and anyone
Re: usenet

Pinched from another group:

The eternal-september server is located in Germany, and this happened
overnight there. Judging from the usage stats, it looks like it started
about 7 PM local time and was fixed about 4:45 AM the next day. In New
Zealand time, that was 7 AM to 4:45 PM.

On this occasion (as described in eternal-september.support) it was an
accidental side effect of some maintenance on another part of the
system, which resulted in one method of connecting to the server not
working. It appears that the problem was not noticed before the site
administrator went home for the night, and he fixed it the next morning.

To be precise: the software responsible for accepting NTTP connections
on port 119 was rejecting every attempt to connect. It was fixed by
restarting that software. Other connection methods were not affected, so
it only affected some users. It appears that NNTP via port 119 was the
most popular method, as the number of connections was signficantly lower
than normal.

--
As tight as an eagles arse in a power dive

Re: usenet
On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:34:26 +1100, Art Vanderlay

Thats not what he was asking about, was it?

Re: usenet
Pigpong usenet seems to be hit and miss. When I remember to check for new
messages here, some times the server does not respond, other times it does.
Tried whining to pigpong and they don't seem to know anything about
newsgroups. Probably need some old farts like me working for them to know
what it is rather than those young social media types.
Con

Re: usenet
Working fine here in Maryborough Qld.
Jacko

Have included aus cars as some seem to know about telstra.

Anyone using bigpond usenet and is it still working?
I have just spent the last few hours trying to find someone in bigpong
to talk to about the usenet service and no one knows what I am talking
about, I kept getting transferred about to no where,even once to movie
service each time long wait.
even tried ombudsman, only got two complaint nos.from him.
Maybe they just switched it off like some providers.

Re: usenet

Seems that very few people know what usenet is including ISP's that have
a news server, I've had the same problem getting help when there has
been an outage.
For various reason we use 2 ISP's, Internode and TPG and they both have
access to newservers that allow binaries.

Daryl

Re: usenet

Internode usenet support is likely to be dropped soon now that iiNet has
their finger in Internode's pie.

Mind you, as soon as they do I'll drop them because I can get better value
elsewhere.

Re: usenet

Internode isn't as good since it was merged with iiNet which is why we
now also use TPG, Internode doesn't have any unlimited plans but TPG
does so its set up so that if my son wants to download big files like
movies it uses TPG but for basic browsing it uses Internode.
We would drop Internode but TPG isn't without problems, speed can drop
off very noticeably at peak times although that seems to be getting better.
I have had issues with Internode usenet lately so when it plays up I
just switch to TPG's newserver, I'm using it now.

Daryl

Re: usenet

iinet took over netspace in 2010, but the newsgroups in netspace still work the
same.

I installed a local usenet server (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leafnode ), and

so even if the isp keeps usenet messages for only a day, they are continuously
downloaded and cached on the pc.

Reading each message is instant, because they're already on disk.

Re: usenet

Yes but there has been talk again and Internode dropped usenet for a short
period a couple of years ago but backed down and reinstated the text-only
groups due to pressure from customers.

They found out word of mouth cuts both ways I guess.

Re: usenet

I was one of those customers who applied the pressure, rang up to cancel
the account and when asked why they were told no Newsgroups and it was
fixed very quickly, its staggering that a lot of people who work for
ISP's have no idea what usenet is.

Daryl

Re: usenet

I rang up to cancel a number of accounts for people who I recommended
Internode to because they had a usenet service. They must have had many more
complaints then what they had bargained for.

I don't know about now (after iiNets meddling)  but last time I spoke to
Internode service regarding a problem connecting to the usenet server the
young bloke I spoke to knew exactly what it usenet was and what to check
(had already checked the obvious stuff).

Re: usenet
There had to be at least in the organisation that knew:-)

Daryl

Re: usenet
There may be but no one in telstra knows where the cave that the ancient
one with a beard hides in

Re: usenet

LOL.

Daryl