usenet

Have included aus cars as some seem to know about telstra.

Anyone using bigpond usenet and is it still working? I have just spent the last few hours trying to find someone in bigpong to talk to about the usenet service and no one knows what I am talking about, I kept getting transferred about to no where,even once to movie service each time long wait. even tried ombudsman, only got two complaint nos.from him. Maybe they just switched it off like some providers.

Reply to
F Murtz

just go to eternal.september.org and open a free account. They offer a usenet server service that updates quickly and works with no hassles. I have been using them for some time now since my isp stopped doing usenet (nobody there knew what it was either!).

regards, Art

Reply to
Art Vanderlay

Pigpong usenet seems to be hit and miss. When I remember to check for new messages here, some times the server does not respond, other times it does. Tried whining to pigpong and they don't seem to know anything about newsgroups. Probably need some old farts like me working for them to know what it is rather than those young social media types. Con

Reply to
Con

I am using eternal-september but I want access to bigpongs server (it allows binaries)

Reply to
F Murtz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~` Have been using E/S for a couple of years. Apart from the occasional server overload (Apparent) is good value :-)

--
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/images/smilies/cheers.gif Have you
ever noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot,and anyone

I had trouble with "eternal-september" about a week ago, so I shifted to their "Reader80.eternal-september" - port 80. Working well and didn't need to re-register.

--
Take Care.     ~~
Feral Al    ( @..@)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Feral

Working fine here in Maryborough Qld. Jacko

Have included aus cars as some seem to know about telstra.

Anyone using bigpond usenet and is it still working? I have just spent the last few hours trying to find someone in bigpong to talk to about the usenet service and no one knows what I am talking about, I kept getting transferred about to no where,even once to movie service each time long wait. even tried ombudsman, only got two complaint nos.from him. Maybe they just switched it off like some providers.

Reply to
Jacko

Seems that very few people know what usenet is including ISP's that have a news server, I've had the same problem getting help when there has been an outage. For various reason we use 2 ISP's, Internode and TPG and they both have access to newservers that allow binaries.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~` Thnx for the heads up ;-)

--
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/images/smilies/cheers.gif Have you
ever noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot,and anyone
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
jonz

Internode usenet support is likely to be dropped soon now that iiNet has their finger in Internode's pie.

Mind you, as soon as they do I'll drop them because I can get better value elsewhere.

Reply to
Clocky

I'm not the least bit surprised. You'd struggle to find anyone at Telstra who knows what "the internet" is.

news.bigpond.com still works, but it's *very* unreliable.

Regards,
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Noddy

Internode isn't as good since it was merged with iiNet which is why we now also use TPG, Internode doesn't have any unlimited plans but TPG does so its set up so that if my son wants to download big files like movies it uses TPG but for basic browsing it uses Internode. We would drop Internode but TPG isn't without problems, speed can drop off very noticeably at peak times although that seems to be getting better. I have had issues with Internode usenet lately so when it plays up I just switch to TPG's newserver, I'm using it now.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

Well it still works, but I use E-S. settings: server: news.bigpond.com your email addy your account pwd

--
127.0.0.1
Reply to

I tried seting it up with both IE and seamonkey

When I try to connect to server with either seamonkey or IE it pretends to start downloading groups and just stops. In the case of IE at least it says,The tcp/ip connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server.

Reply to
F Murtz

Every time I cant get access to news-server.bigpond I just deduct $20 from my bill and send them a complaint email which gives you a logged receipt. I spent at least an hour on the phone educating some plonker about Usenet, she tried to access it using IE and could not understand why it was not working. Finally she gave up and just passed me over to accounts who tried to con me into halving my claim for credit - bit difficult for them as they had about a dozen emails from me over a period of three months. "No service - no pay" seems to get a bit more focus. Worst part of dealing with Bigpond/Telstra is the time it takes on the phone, you never seem to be able to get an answer in 5 minutes.

Reply to
Why are people so cruel

Well I must admit it was the first time in years that I tried connecting to the bigpong news server. Using pan I set it as my fallback and managed to download up to 150,000 new headers in some subscribed news groups. I guess they don't have a problem with retention rates when their usenet service works...

--
A man using Apple Maps walks in to a bar, or maybe a hotel, or maybe a
church...

Pinched from another group:

The eternal-september server is located in Germany, and this happened overnight there. Judging from the usage stats, it looks like it started about 7 PM local time and was fixed about 4:45 AM the next day. In New Zealand time, that was 7 AM to 4:45 PM.

On this occasion (as described in eternal-september.support) it was an accidental side effect of some maintenance on another part of the system, which resulted in one method of connecting to the server not working. It appears that the problem was not noticed before the site administrator went home for the night, and he fixed it the next morning.

To be precise: the software responsible for accepting NTTP connections on port 119 was rejecting every attempt to connect. It was fixed by restarting that software. Other connection methods were not affected, so it only affected some users. It appears that NNTP via port 119 was the most popular method, as the number of connections was signficantly lower than normal.

--
As tight as an eagles arse in a power dive
Reply to

iinet took over netspace in 2010, but the newsgroups in netspace still work the same.

I installed a local usenet server (), and so even if the isp keeps usenet messages for only a day, they are continuously downloaded and cached on the pc.

Reading each message is instant, because they're already on disk.

Reply to
Russell Shaw

Heh, so nothing has changed since I was on BPC I see :)

Reply to
Jeßus

Thats not what he was asking about, was it?

Reply to
Jeßus