USB TV Tuner - Page 4

Re: USB TV Tuner

Nope.

Mindlessly silly, most obviously with the Indonesian abattoirs that was only
last year.

Re: USB TV Tuner

Not on the ABC it aint.

Just other other pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.

The media is completely irrelevant to who gets to govern.

That should be obvious with the NSW and QLD elections.

And will be with the next federal election in spades,
essentially because almost all of the voters believe
that what they are paying for electricity is due to the
stupid carbon tax.

He is completely irrelevant.

He's so stupid he couldn't even manage to
work out how to stay PM for even just one term.

Even Witless managed to do that.

They didn't need to once the shit had hit the fan about the abottoirs in
Indonesia.

FAR too much repetition.

I read the Just In on the ABC web site and watch the 7pm news until the
sport shows up.

Re: USB TV Tuner

This is a requirement of the public broadcaster/s to ensure a good
signal is provided to everyone.

Re: USB TV Tuner

No it is not. Our SBS transmitter was in fact by far the lowest power of
all.

Re: USB TV Tuner

Fraid not. Our SBS was MUCH lower power than all the rest.

Nope, not with UHF channels.

Not necessarily one that does UHF tho.

Re: USB TV Tuner

My antenna for the loungeroom is VHF only but picks up UHF quite fine on
either analogue or digital. Don't have anything special for UHF. Line of
sight to transmitters however.

--

Krypsis

Re: USB TV Tuner

Some do, some don't.

Nothing to do with that with digital TV.

Re: USB TV Tuner

In strong signal areas you might get away with rabbit ears but even in
medium areas you will likely need a basic external antenna pointed in the
right direction.

Boosters can be helpful but you need a signal to amplify, so if the
reception is really poor it won't help.

Re: USB TV Tuner

Broadcasts are from different places. The obvious idea of coordinating
broadcasting so that transmissions serving an area all come from the
same place is apparently beyond the abilities of Australian regulators.
So the strength of the signal depends, amongst other things, on where
you are relative to each transmitter.

As an energy source, you mean? Not unless they have a mast amplifier.

Sylvia.

Re: USB TV Tuner

I ask the question generally.  Would an external house antenna be connected
to electricity, on average?

What is the reason they are better than indoor antennas?  Height,
electricity, or some other factor?

Re: USB TV Tuner

"Harry"

** Only rarely in a domestic situation.

  Antennas on tops of buildings and blocks of units are another story.

** Having an unobstructed line through the air to the transmitter sites is
the big one -  results in a much stronger and much cleaner signal.  Plus you
can put up a physically large and efficient antenna that would be absurd
indoors.

It is a near miracle that indoor TV antennas work at all -  everything is
against them.

...   Phil

Re: USB TV Tuner

I remember years and years of using indoor antennas.  Is digital TV the
reason why they are no longer viable?

Re: USB TV Tuner

"Harry the Fuckwit TROLL "

** Truth is, they were never any good with analogue TV.

With DTV the need for a clean, strong signal is more crucial - if annoying
drop outs are to be avoided.

....   Phil

Re: USB TV Tuner

To Harry, that is  just plain wrong.

You can see how much notice you should take of
him from the change he has made ot the subject.

He used to fix toasters before he was sacked even from
that and has been completely unemployable ever since.

Re: USB TV Tuner

"Rod Speed"

** To Rod -   go fuck yourself, you rabid nut case TROLL

Re: USB TV Tuner

I suspect it is. Even a poor analogue signal will provide a snowy
picture can still be viewed. A poor digital signal will just freeze or
drop the picture out completely.

--

Krypsis

Re: USB TV Tuner

Yes, but you likely remember that they could be a bit fiddly too.

Nope, in fact plenty find that their internal antenna isnt very satisfactory
with the old analog TV and does work fine with digital TV.

Same with exernal antennas too.

Where do you plan to use it ?  Even in the capital citys, some citys
do have areas where the signal level isnt great for various reasons.

Re: USB TV Tuner

Small room in accommodation in a capital city without a TV, for a very brief
period so I don't want to spend too much money on it, else I would purchase
a small TV for the purpose. The tuner I bought was only $24.

Re: USB TV Tuner

You'll pay quite a bit more than that for most amplified internal antennas.

Havent checked ebay on that tho, thatís whats in the stores like Dick Smith
etc.

It should work but you may end up paying close to what the cheapest small
TVs cost.

Corse they may not do much better too.

I did do alright by just buying one of those non amplified
antennas at Sams before they went bust and returning it for
a full refund when it didnít help. The droid just shrugged
and said they get quite a few like that.

I'd personally try one of the cheap indoor antennas from
Chickenfeed etc and if it doesnít help return it for a full refund.

Or a decent amplified antenna if you donít mine the higher price.

Re: USB TV Tuner

As Phil says, indoor antennas were never much good. But analogue
television was relatively forgiving in the sense that a bad signal would
still give you a picture - albeit a bad one. Some people seemed able to
mentally edit out the ghosting and general instability. At least, that's
the only reason I can think of to explain why people didn't install
outdoor antennas despite being told of the expected improvement, being
able to afford it, and having the clear power to have the installation
done (I'm particularly thinking of my now departed father).

Digital TV gives a better picture, but at the cost of being less
tolerant of poor signal quality.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline