USB TV Tuner

Is there a centrimetre by frequency guide that can be used?

eg. 50cm = Channel 7, and so forth?

Reply to
Harry

OK, that's different to the instruction sheet that came with my amplified rabbit ears. Reccomendation was to use it fully extended all the time for best reception and, at less than that, the signals degrade no matter what channel I'm tuned to. It is a Yum Cha brand however.

You'll have noted that channels below 6 have been excluded hence the upswing in the spectrum that I mentioned.

--

Krypsis
Reply to

Harry wrote

Nope.

It does make a difference with the older VHF channels.

That gets complicated. It doesn't help if there is a lack of signal where the antenna is, most obviously inside with either metal walls or that metal insulation in the walls.

It can be useful when the problem is just a pathetically inadequate antenna supplied with a tiny tuner.

They can be done either way. They can be entirely passive, no electricity required, or they can have a mast head amp at the antenna and that does need power. That's normally supplied down the coax to the external antenna, with a device that allows the power to be connected to the coax at the tuner end of the coax.

Try some of the better internal antennas.

Unfortunately Dick Smith no longer has their 14 day free trial and return if you don't like it approach, but BigW still does and likely Kmart etc does.

Bunnings does too, but doesn't have much of a range of them.

You cant specify them that way with the new digital channels.

Worth trying but not worth buying on the off chance it will help.

A proper external antenna will be better, but rather more expensive.

Plenty do find that a decent internal antenna does work fine with digital TV.

Reply to
Rod Speed

SG1 wrote

Fraid not. Our SBS was MUCH lower power than all the rest.

Nope, not with UHF channels.

Not necessarily one that does UHF tho.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Sylvia Else wrote

Sometimes they are, sometimes they arent.

Its just not possible in some places.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Harry wrote

That's just plain wrong.

Not in strong signal areas.

You'd better say what the intended use is then.

The bigger powered internal antennas are quite big and not very portable.

Reply to
Rod Speed

felix_unger wrote

That?s not right with UHF digital channels.

Not even possible.

Rod Speed

Normally not. Only a subset have mast head amps.

That's a large part of it.

Nope.

Yep, they arent using what signal does get into the house past the foil insulation that's often in the walls etc.

And they are much bigger than most want in their house too and can be designed to work best at the frequencys that the TV broadcasts are on.

Even a pure UHF external antenna isnt that small and bigger than most want inside their living room etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Yes, but you likely remember that they could be a bit fiddly too.

Nope, in fact plenty find that their internal antenna isnt very satisfactory with the old analog TV and does work fine with digital TV.

Same with exernal antennas too.

Where do you plan to use it ? Even in the capital citys, some citys do have areas where the signal level isnt great for various reasons.

Reply to
Rod Speed

No it is not. Our SBS transmitter was in fact by far the lowest power of all.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not with digital TV.

Reply to
Rod Speed

To Harry, that is just plain wrong.

You can see how much notice you should take of him from the change he has made ot the subject.

He used to fix toasters before he was sacked even from that and has been completely unemployable ever since.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Krypsis wrote

It doesn't work like that with those cheap chinese tuners.

The antenna is basically what will fit in the box.

Not with digital TV.

Nope. Plenty find that what isnt a viable analog antenna works fine for digital TV and it's a lot cheaper to get a set top box than to replace the antenna.

And when there is a long run of coax with UHF.

Wont work if there is f*ck all signal there.

Not necessarily. A decent passive inernal antenna may be viable.

Nope, the channels are interleaved in the UHF spectrum.

Fraid not.

No such animal.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope, because the entire UHF band is above those in the spectrum so your original is just plain wrong.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Digital is very dodgy at best If you get it it is picture perfect if you don't you can't Even if you get it that can change for no ryme nor reason Like you tried a digital area from ALDI and could only get 2, 3 group

Got the same without it?

--
Petzl
Reply to

and he didn't say if he wanted to receive digital or just analogue

I use this at home with excellent results ..

rgds,

Pete
-------
?If Julia is the answer, then what was the stupid question?!?

"Julia finally got something right. Older people don't vote Labor, because they
have seen too many incompetent, mismanaging, money-wasting Labor governments"

"If the WORLD as a whole cut ALL emissions tomorrow, the average temperature of
the planet's not going to drop for several hundred years, perhaps over on
thousand years" - Tim Flannery, Climate Commissioner

?Wayne Swan threatening the Banks, is a bit like being savaged by a dead sheep!?

Give Juliar the boot!.. http://ausnet.info/pics/boot.jpg
Reply to
felix_unger

"Rod Speed"

** To Rod - go f*ck yourself, you rabid nut case TROLL
Reply to
Phil Allison

** You *can* use it fully extend all the time - but my comment is also true.

Cos " ye canne change the laws of physics ... " .

** Bollocks.

The VHF channels are all at a *much lower* frequency than the UHF ones.

VHF 6 begins at 174 MHz while UHF 28 begins at 526 MHz.

A UHF only antenna will not work on the VHF band.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Small room in accommodation in a capital city without a TV, for a very brief period so I don't want to spend too much money on it, else I would purchase a small TV for the purpose. The tuner I bought was only $24.

Reply to
Harry

As Phil says, indoor antennas were never much good. But analogue television was relatively forgiving in the sense that a bad signal would still give you a picture - albeit a bad one. Some people seemed able to mentally edit out the ghosting and general instability. At least, that's the only reason I can think of to explain why people didn't install outdoor antennas despite being told of the expected improvement, being able to afford it, and having the clear power to have the installation done (I'm particularly thinking of my now departed father).

Digital TV gives a better picture, but at the cost of being less tolerant of poor signal quality.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else