USB TV Tuner

Recently bought USB TV Tuner: Compro Videomate U620F

Finding that only ABC and SBS is picked up with included antenna.  This is
not so bad since the other channels are mostly rubbish, but I have a few
questions:

1. Do the ABC and SBS broadcast stronger signals because they are government
channels and they are required to provide a service?

2. What influence does the length of the rabbit ears of indoor TV antennas
have on reception?

3. What influence does electricity-powered signal amplification have on
reception?

4. Do external house antennas rely on electricity?

5. What would be the best way to improve reception using an indoor antenna?
Antenna size/length?  Electricity powered signal amplification?

Re: USB TV Tuner

trolling removed

  add rabbit ears OR an external antenna and enjoy

Re: USB TV Tuner

what trolling? obviously just wanted info

rgds,

Pete
Re: USB TV Tuner

99 replies, not trolling?

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: USB TV Tuner

no he wasn't trolling. if you had bothered to read the replies you would
know that. it's called usenet discussion

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: USB TV Tuner

Already tried cheap rabbit ears but not much joy.  Hence my questions which
you snipped and criticised.

Re: USB TV Tuner
The answer is deserved , google the answer or take the advice which is
valid

--

Re: USB TV Tuner

Possibly

The bigger the better.

Can't comment on that one.

Only those with signal amplifiers.

Hook up to an external antenna, the house should have one.

Re: USB TV Tuner

Is height the biggest factor?

Intended use will not involve external antenna so not an option.

Re: USB TV Tuner

Clear line of sight between aerials will have a bigger influence.

Re: USB TV Tuner

Not with digital TV.

Re: USB TV Tuner

Yes, in the sense that you would increase your chances of getting a
usable picture.

Re: USB TV Tuner

Nope, most get a usable digital TV picture without that.

Re: USB TV Tuner

Fully extended, they should be tuned to the middle of the TV frequency
spectrum.
Height is always a factor but that is mainly to get above line of sight
obstructions such as houses, trees, etc.
 From no signal on analogue to just acceptable. Digital is more picky.

Apartment buildings where signals are split between multiple apartments
usually use amplification. Houses only need it if the signal is low to
begin with.

Get a powered antenna that has the highest gain.

Amplified antenna will be your only option. I think the digital TV
signals occupy a slightly higher spot in the spectrum so a standard UHF
antenna will work but may degrade at one end. Get one suitable for
digital transmission and you should be ok.

We use a signal booster on the TV in the bedroom - too many walls, too
many trees, too far from the outside antennaa. Used to work on analogue
quite ok but some channels snowy. No good whatsoever on digital. May
need to install a splitter and run a cable from the outside antenna to
solve my issue.

In your case, I suggest you either borrow a amplified antenna and try it
or get a guarantee from the shop that you can return with no penalty if
it isn't up to scratch.

--

Krypsis

Re: USB TV Tuner

"Krypsis"

** Err no.

Fully extended they tune to channel 2, half extended is channel 7.

** You seem to be unaware that DTV is mainly on VHF channels in all capitol
cities.

The VHF channels used are 6, 8, 9A, 11 & 12  plus a couple of UHF channels
for SBS etc.

DTV antennas for capitol city use are quite compact and cover all the above.

....  Phil

Re: USB TV Tuner

Is there a centrimetre by frequency guide that can be used?

eg. 50cm = Channel 7,  and so forth?

Re: USB TV Tuner
OK, that's different to the instruction sheet that came with my
amplified rabbit ears. Reccomendation was to use it fully extended all
the time for best reception and, at less than that, the signals degrade
no matter what channel I'm tuned to. It is a Yum Cha brand however.

You'll have noted that channels below 6 have been excluded hence the
upswing in the spectrum that I mentioned.

Krypsis

Re: USB TV Tuner

Nope, because the entire UHF band is above those
in the spectrum so your original is just plain wrong.

Re: USB TV Tuner
<snip>
You'll have also noted that most analogue antennae are VHF and UHF
combined. One section for VHF, one for UHF. The VHF section will have
issues, the UHF may or may not have issues. Then again, you probably
wouldn't have noticed anyway!

<snip>

--

Krypsis

Re: USB TV Tuner

You never ever could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Site Timeline