USB CRO

Latest Altronics "cattle dog" March 2007 - July 2008 page
125  PC Multi function CRO/analyser Adapter.

What do you guys think of it?  Is it a gimmick/toy or does
it actually work?

Cheers TT

Re: USB CRO

Most crap one I've seen in a long time.
200KHz sample rate (albeit 10bit), 8MHz logic analyser.

There are a dozen or more USB DSO's on the market for a similar price,
this one isn't even in the running.

Try this one instead for starters, and there are many others around:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid16%144&cat31%2&page=1

Mags like Circuit Cellar have tons of ads for competing units.

Dave :)

Re: USB CRO

Do you know any good ones with around 100 Ms/sec ?  I'm looking to
replace my ageing Philips PM3350A, and sample rates less than this are
only just barely acceptable.

Re: USB CRO

Yep, the CleverScope is probably the pick of the bunch in the 100MS/s
range.
http://www.cleverscope.com /

Not cheap though, but it's not a toy like many of the cheaper ones.

The local rep is:
http://www.grantronics.com.au/cleverscope/cleverscope.html

Although for this sort of money you can buy a real bench DSO. Check
this current thread out for more info on that:
http://groups.google.com.au/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/d72eb486612cba04/?hl=en #

Dave :)

Re: USB CRO

http://groups.google.com.au/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/d72eb486612cba04/?hl=en #

The Cleverscope looks like the best of the lot.  I just browsed through
about 6 others, and none match that.

Thanks for the pointer.

Re: USB CRO

http://groups.google.com.au/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/d72eb486612cba04/?hl=en #

Did you check out Bitscope?

http://www.bitscope.com

Re: USB CRO

http://groups.google.com.au/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/d72eb486612cba04/?hl=en #
Yes.  Bitscope 310 is close, but only 40 Ms/sec.  It does have better
input sensitivity though.

I also looked at:
http://www.alazartech.com/products/ats860.htm ( PCI bus )
http://www.usbee.com /
http://www.picotech.com /
http://www.elandigitalsystems.com
http://www.usb-instruments.com /
http://www.etcsk.com
http://www.linkinstruments.com
http://www.embedinfo.com
http://www.tiepie.nl
And a cheapie from eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item27%0064005514&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem22%0085052601&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

Overall I liked the cleverscope the best, but only based on the
advertising specs.

Getting the right balance between input voltage range, sample rate,
memory depth and good software is not easy !

Re: USB CRO

)http://www.usbee.com/http://www.picotech.com/http://www.elandigitalsystems.comhttp://www.usb-instruments.com/http://www.etcsk.comhttp://www.linkinstruments.comhttp://www.embedinfo.comhttp://www.tiepie.nl
eBay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item27%0064005514&ssPag ...

Interestingly the Cleverscope software is written in Labview, and it
can do some pretty unusual and flexible math stuff like being able to
define your own expression. Almost too clever for it's own good.

Why the move from a bench scope to a PC based scope?

Dave :)

Re: USB CRO

Mostly because it means I can have a bigger display, better for old
eyes.  And customisable as to what you want to display, the flexibility
of having a screen with whatever you want on it is pretty nice.
I would probably dedicate a PC just to measurement stuff, rather than
pile it all onto the development machine, but PCs are so cheap now that
that is not an issue.

The math processing stuff in Cleverscope certainly looks interesting,
although I rather doubt I would use it much. I am well used to feeding
serial data from whatever I am testing through into a PC and using Excel
to process it.

What is attractive is the ability to trigger from the analog and up to 8
channel digital signals, for both the analog and digital analyser sections.

Re: USB CRO

However you choose to process it, there is certainly a benefit in having the
data already in the computer IMO.

MrT.

Re: USB CRO

**It'll work, but it is still a toy. For 300 Bucks, you can pick up a nice,
used (analogue) Tektronix CRO (ca. 100MHz BW). For that, you get an
instrument which will last many decades (my oldest Tek CRO dates to 1964 and
still works fine) and will provide serious measurement capability. The only
real drawback is the lack of importation into Windows documents. A digicam
will do that for you.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: USB CRO

You forgot the major drawback with an analog CRO, and that is that you
can't capture single shot events, that's what DSO's (PC based and
proper bench ones) are for.

Any good bench needs both.

Dave :)

Re: USB CRO

**Indeed. I have a proper DSO (A Tek, of course). I very rarely require it
(once a year, maybe). The analogue CRO gets a workout every single day. But
that's me. YMMV.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: USB CRO

My mileage varies.
I have had a Philips PM3350A for years now.  It has both digital and
true analog capability.
I use the analog maybe once a year, the digital functions all the time.
  But then I do digital designs all the time.

Re: USB CRO

Well guys that certainly got some excellent feedback.  I
never realised there was that many of these things out
there.  I will have to ponder this a bit more and no doubt
the prices will come down as well ;-)

Cheers TT

Site Timeline