USB Chainsaw

Now here is a handy little tool for the handyman's tool box:
http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

What's dangerous and swings from trees?
1) An IT engineer, with a USB chainsaw!
2) A help desk monkey, with a USB chainsaw!
3) A telemarketer that has been rudely spoken to, with a USB chainsaw!

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: USB Chainsaw

No mp3 player included? Epic fail...     ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA

Re: USB Chainsaw

The old "fu-fme" was better. Pity the website is down, but some people sill
have some pages cached.

geoff

Re: USB Chainsaw

Wow, 8lbs, 10" bar, but no mention of motor power, or how much current it
draws from the USB port :-)

MrT.

Re: USB Chainsaw

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/08/video-usb-powered-chainsaw-makes-short-work-of-a-fake-plastic-t /
single USB port, I assume less than 501ma

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: USB Chainsaw

I assume it's a spoof.  It can't be any more stupid than USB fans, etc.
I recall once seeing a usb powered coffee hotplate.  No sillier than a
12V computer power supply powered cigarette lighter.

Re: USB Chainsaw

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/08/video-usb-powered-chainsaw-makes-short-work-of-a-fake-plastic-t/
The close-up on the video is a little TOO CLOSE UP !!

don

Re: USB Chainsaw

  Notice on the closeup, the total blade length was longer than the blade on
the mockup.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: USB Chainsaw

it
http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/08/video-usb-powered-chainsaw-makes-short-wo
rk-of-a-fake-plastic-t/

But why would you want to charge it from a USB port rather than a plug-pack?

MrT.

Re: USB Chainsaw

Say a 1/2HP motor should be okay from a USB part, given a suitably low
duty cycle (maybe 10 minutes of blood-spattering mayhem per day).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: USB Chainsaw

But why I would want to add to the load on my computer power supply rather
than just use a plug-pack charger still escapes me????
(even assuming I ever had a use for such crap)

The only thing worse than morons with too much money to waste, is the morons
creating more useless products for them to buy, IMO.

MrT.

Re: USB Chainsaw

Um -  it is (presumably) a spoof 'product'.

geoff

Re: USB Chainsaw

Nope.  The worst thing are clowns like you who can't recognize a spoof.

Re: USB Chainsaw

Thanks.  But that is not 'recognising a spoof'. That would be 'recognising a
non-spoof'.  Get your strory straight !

geoff

Re: USB Chainsaw

The clue is in the bit where you do not need any money.

Re: USB Chainsaw

This is a real one, just for you.

http://www.welookdoyou.com/fufme /

geoff

Re: USB Chainsaw

  Nope.  All the images are CGI.  That almost invariably means it's either
vapourware, or fake.

  Heck, look at the iPhone.  Prior to actual physical release, the ONLY images
available were CGI.  Even now, several manufacturers had released, or already
released phones that either compete with, or surpass the iPhone capabilities.

  Just goes to prove, if it's shown in CGI, it's fake.

  So there.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: USB Chainsaw

Nope, seen far too much of this crap in real life to think it might be
funny.
Check out your local Jaycar store for a *huge* array of "spoofs".

MrT.

Re: USB Chainsaw

Huh?  A USB port that meets spec can provide 0.5A at 5V (2.5W).

$ units
2411 units, 71 prefixes, 33 nonlinear units

You have: 2.5 watts
You want: hp
        * 0.0033525552
        / 298.27995

A USB port cat provide 0.0034 HP

1/2HP is 373W.  At 5V, that's almost 75A.  Short duty cycle
indeed.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! My mind is a potato
                                  at               field ...

   Charge for months, and use for minutes!