US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

Oct 27, 2010 6:52 AM (1 hour ago) US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

Sweating copper, chasing fibre.

US telecommunications vendor Ikanos this week released NodeScale Vectoring which it claimed could deliver broadband speeds of 100 Mbps over existing copper digital subscriber line (DSL) networks.

"Ikanos' NodeScale Vectoring technology will deliver the performance of fibre at one-tenth the cost of fibre-to-the-home," said John Quigley, CEO and president at Ikanos.

The technology analysed interference between paired copper lines and created "compensation signals" that cancelled out noise, Ikanos explained.

ZTE Corporation was demonstrating its first NodeScale equipped DSLAM this week at the Broadband World Forum in Paris, France.

Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) also trotted out its new "phantom" noise-cancelling DSL technology, which it claimed could deliver speeds 850 Mbps over 400 metres and 750 Mbps over 500 metres of "bonded copper".

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/usb-iso-low-full-speed-usb-isolator.html

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

My goodness me, what on earth will they *use* it for? What will the Labor idiots spend the money on instead?

Reply to
B J Foster

from

While lab tests of faster DSL technology are well and good, most of this technology will take years to leave the lab, *requires multiple pairs the average home may not have*, and *like all DSL -- will remain highly distance constrained* -- making it all-but-useless for the millions of U.S. residents on long loop lenths.

Nice lab experiment but probably useless in practice.

500 metres? So, if you can't piss on the exchange from your house, then you're out of luck.

There are all sorts of quirky schemes to wring the last drop out of copper lines, but few, if any, will ever be put into practice.

Its like those competitions where they get a WiFi connection over 50Km, technically interesting but useless in practice.

Reply to
keithr

ADSL2+ can do 20mbs, how many actually get any where near that?

And there's a reason for that.

Reply to
son of a bitch

What do you need 100Mbps for anyway, idiot?

Reply to
B J Foster

I can't use all my available download speed now. there are heaps of slow servers about.

Reply to
Rob

So you resort to name calling because someone points out your so called solution is blatantly inferior to fibre optic?.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Even if it takes 1 more year in the lab and 1 more year to get in production/field test and 2 more years to deploy it will beat the NBN.

VHDSL already runs at 100Mbit symetrical at 250m, and 50Mbit at 500m and 25Mbit at 1000m. The new schemes double those distances.

ADSL2+ has the DSLAM installed in the exchange, VHDSL is designed to be also allow installation in the street box.(to get closer to the customer)

The coalitions 5.5 billion policy for guranteeing 12Mbit involved simply upgrading the old exhanges, installing a fibre backbone and putting in VHDSL in the street some instances. (about 1.8 billion of the cost, the rest being satelite and Wireless)

The new tech would now allow the coalitions policy to probably gurantee a minium of 25Mbit symetrical (worst case) and up to 100Mbit for the same cost. Probably a few billion extra would close the gap to guranteeing nearly 100Mbit for everyone.

The new technology now means that folks 2km from the exchange can get

30Mbit not just those 1.0km and those at 4km can now get 12-15Mbit.

For those greater than 2km from the exchange (very few in number) the DSLAM can be installed at the streetbox.

*requires multiple pairs

Do you think that fibre breakout boxes will be installed in the streetboxes or only at the exchange?

I would say there is a shit heap of work to be done near or at the streetboxes with fibre so there is no disasdvantage to VHDSL at the streetbox versus fibre. Either way you've got to frig armount at the streetbox.

Reply to
Eunometic

r".

.

ADSL 2+ release "M" can do 30Mbit download and 3.6Mit upload up to 1km (maybe more if the line is good). Around 15Mbit at 2km and 6 Mbit at

4km. Something called a loop extender can double that for remote customers.

If more is needed VHDSL can provide 100Mbit at 250m and 50Mbit at 500m and 25Mbit at 1000m (symetrical) rolling of as for ADSL 2+ after that. VHDSL is designed for installation in the streetbox rather than the exhange to get close to the customer.

Reply to
Eunometic

Eunometic wrote

Nope, because that 100Mbps nees more than one copper pair and the distance you get anything like 100Mbps over is nothing like whats needed.

No it doesnt on a single copper pair.

Yes, but we have chose not to go for FTTN.

And even you should have noticed that they arent the govt.

Nope, because it uses more than one pair.

for everyone.

Nope, because there just arent enough copper pairs for that.

Nope, because there arent enough pairs.

Thats another lie.

And the street cables certainly dont have.

only at the exchange?

Doesnt fix the multiple pairs requirement.

More fool you, there arent the copper pairs.

Thats FTTN, we have decided not to go that route.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Thats FTTN, we decided to not go that route and even the coalition isnt proposing that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

In OZ, People can be 2.5 to 5 KM away from the Exchange even in Cities. If you're not a Major Capital, I would expect 5 Kays to be stones throw. Which means, for more than 50% of the People you would be NO better off than what is available now.

Reply to
son of a bitch

SNIP : :Thats FTTN, we decided to not go that route and even the coalition isnt proposing that. :

And the reason they didn't go for FTTN was purely to satisfy Telstra's competitors and no other reason.

Imagine this, Telstra still own the copper and all of the competitors are allowed access to it at a cost determined by the ACCC. If FTTN were adopted Telstra would say "right we don't need to maintain all that copper between the exchange and the nodes now. If you others want to compete then install your own fibre to your own nodes. We will only continue to maintain the copper between the nodes and the customers". And those competitors would bitch like crazy at the expense they would be up for and lobby like hell to overturn it and go for something which did not rely upon copper for any part of the route. And that is actually what happened when the first NBN proposed by Labor was based on FTTN.

Of course NBNCo could still have bought the copper and the underground infrastructure for around $11B as they are now going to do anyway, and still have implemented an NBN using FTTN. However, this would mean they still had problem in that the only organisation which had the relevant workforce and structures to maintain the copper end section was Telstra, and that was a big NO-NO as far as the private competitors were concerned. They wanted a system where Telstra had no role or ownership of any part of it. I can't say I really blame them, but that is hardly a good reason to blow $43B when around $25B (including the $11B for Telstra's infrastructure) would have done the job.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Solution for *what*? Exactly.

PS: You too can earn a title. It's easy.

Reply to
B J Foster

We?

Reply to
B J Foster

B J Foster wrote

The country, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

'The country' had a design meeting? When and where did this occur?

Reply to
B J Foster

B J Foster wrote

Nope, we did the usual, those providing the comms infrastructure decided not to go that route.

Clowns like you get to like that or lump it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

to go that route.

Except in South Brisbane eh?