US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper - Page 2

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

Thats FTTN, we decided to not go that route and even the coalition isnt
proposing that.

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

SNIP
:
:Thats FTTN, we decided to not go that route and even the coalition isnt
proposing that.
:

And the reason they didn't go for FTTN was purely to satisfy Telstra's
competitors and no other reason.

Imagine this, Telstra still own the copper and all of the competitors are
allowed access to it at a cost determined by the ACCC. If FTTN were adopted
Telstra would say "right we don't need to maintain all that copper between the
exchange and the nodes now. If you others want to compete then install your own
fibre to your own nodes. We will only continue to maintain the copper between
the nodes and the customers". And those competitors would bitch like crazy at
the expense they would be up for and lobby like hell to overturn it and go for
something which did not rely upon copper for any part of the route. And that is
actually what happened when the first NBN proposed by Labor was based on FTTN.

Of course NBNCo could still have bought the copper and the underground
infrastructure for around $11B as they are now going to do anyway, and still
have implemented an NBN using FTTN. However, this would mean they still had
problem in that the only organisation which had the relevant workforce and
structures to maintain the copper end section was Telstra, and that was a big
NO-NO as far as the private competitors were concerned. They wanted a system
where Telstra had no role or ownership of any part of it. I can't say I really
blame them, but that is hardly a good reason to blow $43B when around $25B
(including the $11B for Telstra's infrastructure) would have done the job.

Re: US telco claims 100 Mbps on copper

In OZ, People can be 2.5 to 5 KM away from the Exchange even in Cities.
If you're not a Major Capital, I would expect 5 Kays to be
stones throw. Which means, for more than 50% of the People you would
be NO better off than what is available now.

Site Timeline