Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

Tuesday March 9, 2010
Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

By now, you've probably seen many of the homemade videos from people who
ordered an Intel Core i7-920 processor from Newegg.com and received a
bogus processor and hunk of plastic shaped like a fan. Newegg has thrown
supplier IPEX Infotech of Freemont [corrected] California under the bus
for this fiasco; in a statement released to Information Week, the
retailer said, "We have since come to discover the CPUs were counterfeit
and are terminating our relationship with this supplier."

http://www.gearlog.com/2010/03/hands_on_fake_intel_core_i7-92_1.php

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

That's a good one.

Someone somewhere must be laughing their heads off on that scam, and
driving a slighly more upmarket car.

Be interesting to see if they catch the culprits.

Pretty unlikely.

I suppose there's a vacancy at Newegg for a store receivals officer now.

Re: Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

Called incoming inspection here in the colonies (:

And the they were probably the first employees fired
when the economy tanked.

Re: Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

Incoming inspection is just an expense, after all.  Heavens, it's almost
as bad as engineering!

--
Tim Wescott
Re: Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

I spent 2 weeks in Japan once caused by the customer having incoming
inspection where my employer did not. Out of the 60 PCs we shipped, they
rejected 50, everything from memory parity errors (remember those?), bad
hard disks to a keyboard that had two full stops and no comma. How many
heads rolled from that fiasco? Exactly none. Did we start doing incoming
inspection? No, we just sold to less choosy customers.

Re: Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

No... incoming inspection is old fashioned because you know we've this
ISO 9k certificates on file and we only buy from other certified folks...

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.

Sadly a very real misconception.

MrT.

Re: Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

Incoming inspection might not do the job.
I met someone who bought a cheap 8 GB (or whatever) iPod in China,
and when back home, he started loading it up.

Memory was full after 128 MB...

BR
Ulf Samuelsson

Re: Unboxing the Fake Intel Core i7-920

Er, isn't that the point of incoming inspection! (acceptance testing)
"Inspection" doesn't mean a quick visual for obvious physical damage you
realise?

MrT.

Site Timeline