Two computers.... one Cat5e cable

Network cards use only 4 wires out of the 8 available in a standard Cat5e
cable for data transfer.

Say I have one local switch with a number of local computers, and two
computers in the shed a long way away, can I use the 4 spare conductors to
send another set of data?

Or are the second set of wires only suitable for audio (telephone).

Re: Two computers.... one Cat5e cable

Yes, it's possible.

No, all the pairs are full bandwidth.

Dave.

Re: Two computers.... one Cat5e cable

Maybe this:

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/products/p2315.htm

Re: Two computers.... one Cat5e cable

:
:>
:> Network cards use only 4 wires out of the 8 available in a standard Cat5e
:> cable for data transfer.
:>
:> Say I have one local switch with a number of local computers, and two
:> computers in the shed a long way away, can I use the 4 spare conductors to
:> send another set of data?
:>
:> Or are the second set of wires only suitable for audio (telephone).
:>
:>
:
:Maybe this:
:
:http://www.accesscomms.com.au/products/p2315.htm
:

If you mean the P2315 splitter then it will work as the OP requires.

Re: Two computers.... one Cat5e cable

Why not just locate another switch in the shed?

Re: Two computers.... one Cat5e cable

The other four are actually used in quality installations where the
equipment at both ends can run full duplex, aka 2x network speed.

Yes, plenty of places will sell UTP splitters which are designed to
plug into wall plate and split the wires between two signals.

But as somene has said, why not a cheap hub/switch?

Re: Two computers.... one Cat5e cable

  Only sometimes, and then to take advantage of the x2 speed, you need support
of both switch AND card.  To find this type of implementation in use, (and
taken advantage of) is quite rare nowadays.  There were only a few vendors who
did this towards the end of one speed standard, and before the next.
  Vast majority of implementations use only two pairs, one for TX, the other
for RX.  The remaining two pairs are unused.

  At a guess, it would be a by far greater chance of finding a two pair
implementation in this case rather than a four.  So (at a guess) he would be
safe in assuming the other two pairs are unused.

  Cost.  If the user has provision to terminate the cables him/her self, then
a few minutes worth of crimping is cheaper than a splitter adaptor or another
cheap switch.

  I've done this myself, but then two splitters were by far more expensive
than  an a cheap switch, and a switch was still a trip to the local computer
shop.

  The crimping tool and RD45 connectors were in a drawer here.  So they won.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Two computers.... one Cat5e cable

Jaycar sells a splitter that will do this for you:
search for YT6090 on http://jaycar.com.au

Re: Two computers.... one Cat5e cable
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:42:00 +1000, "Phil in Melbourne"

Its fine, go for it.

Site Timeline