TVs and warranty??

"Sylvia Else"

** Dead wrong - as usual.

The term "dry joint " is commonly used in electronics to refer to all manner of cracked and heat damaged joints made with solder. Fractured or heat fatigued cracked would be better descriptions but " dry joint "is the one most often used.

These defects develop as the result of time, high temperature, vibration and thermal cycling of the device.

Electronic components and all the fancy devices made from them begin deteriorating from the minute they are made - so, in that sense, the seeds of self destruction are *ALL* built in at the factory.

Makers are not obliged to warranty against the consequences of this.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I don't know, but the previous poster said that it involved multiple dry joints. If he had got it repaired at his own expense, and the repairer stated the the repair involved the correction of numerous dry joints, then that would be a sufficient case to recover the cost of the repair from the manufacturer, importer or retailer.

That's what small-claims tribunals/courts are for.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

usually the small claims are used in a vexatious manner to avoid payment or make and tenuous claim regarding goods or services ,

Reply to
atec77 #

That's as maybe. It's not what they're for.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Semantics , it's what they are used for in a high proportion of cases.

Reply to
atec77 #

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 17:18:15 +0930, "Lee" put finger to keyboard and composed:

There is a voluntary warranty which the manufacturer or vendor may provide, and there is also a statutory warranty. The latter can be vague but it guarantees that a consumer has recourse to an implied warranty of merchantability. A case was documented in an issue of Choice Magazine where a manufacturer whose TV failed after two years was ordered to repair it at no cost to the customer. It was deemed that the general expectation for TVs is that they should last a lot longer than the voluntary warranty period. I think if more aggrieved customers took up the challenge, then product quality might improve, or at least the bad products might be weeded out.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

well said Franc!!!!!!!!!! Quality they are selling is absolutely crap

Reply to
Lee

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 14:58:24 +1000, Phil Allison wrote: ......

...... The term "dry joint" refers to a incorrectly soldered connection that actually looks "dry" compared to the (usually) shiny "wet" look of a correctly soldered connection.

A "dry joint" can be caused by things like oxidised or insufficiently clean components, inadequate whetting flux during the soldering process, incorrect temperature or just bad technique.

"Dry joints" are invariably bad whether there is any heat subsequently affecting the joint, but any expansion/contraction caused by localised heat sources can exacerbate any problems.

--
Regards, David.

David Clayton, e-mail: dcstar@XYZ.myrealbox.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Clayton

"David Clayton"

Phil Allison wrote: ......

** See above.

Anyone can Google a term and get half the story.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I do! Every darn day, pretty well. Last time I was away o/s, the goddam drop fuses dropped (there was a big storm apparenlty) and the fridge defrosted and I lost my extensive collection of home-made stock. BLOODY annoying (and smelly for the family who had to evict it from the freezer). Now you can't get sides of veal easily, so no stock for me this year.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
ant

Or do as we have and wire in a back up genny , power goes and you drop the iso switch and the stinky old genny fires up . Currently with a full beast in the freezer I would hate to loose it.

Reply to
atec77 #

I take revenge by telling all and sundry that TEAC is not a good brand.

Years ago I got a TEAC CD player too, and it went bung. The repair people said they turned the laser up. It has worked reasonably, with the odd hiccup, ever since.

and I have learned my lesson. Avoid TEAC. things ought not break lie this.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
ant

Last Teac we had died three times in 5 years , I was sick of replcing caps in the power supply so bought some cheap chinese 86 cm for the bed room and an Lg rear pro for the living room , gave the teac to a woman I detested :)

Reply to
atec77 #

You're arguing about the meaning of words.

Is solder used much in toasters?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

thing would have had to have been going for a week before anyone knew the power was gone.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
ant

Pretty much mandatory where we live. A 5kw diesel will run the fridges, water pump and other essentials for a couple of days when needed.

--
Craig
Reply to

Oh dear

Reply to
atec77 #

"Sylvia Else"

** Dead wrong - as usual.

The term "dry joint " is commonly used in electronics to refer to all manner of cracked and heat damaged joints made with solder. Fractured or heat fatigue cracked would be better descriptions but " dry joint "is the one most often used.

These defects develop as the result of time, high temperature, vibration and thermal cycling of the device.

Electronic components and all the fancy devices made from them begin deteriorating from the minute they are made - so, in that sense, the seeds of self destruction are *ALL* built in at the factory.

Makers are not obliged to warranty against the consequences of this.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Mr.T wrote

Anyone with a clue and a decent online database of common problems with particular models with this sort of problem.

You dont need to prove it with the small claims system, just assert that and wave around the stuff off the net and f*ck them over.

It wouldnt come to that anyway, once the manufacturer realises that you know about the problem that model is notorious for, they'll cave in rather than waste their time with the small claims system which is quite biased in favor of the consumer in that situation.

Wrong when they know that the small claims system will f*ck them over.

Wrong, as always. You just need to know that that model is notorious for that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Wrong, as always.

A TV shouldnt be developing dry joints in that time, or in 15 years either.

Reply to
Rod Speed