TVs and warranty??

Just wondering on where consumers stand with their warranty on their tvs
In last 3 yrs ive had 2 different make tvs crap themselves and while still
under warranty the manufacturer refused to fix and hence gave me full
refund.
Im on my 3rd tv now which is a phillips rear pro
Anyway from current affair etc its been stated that under trade practices
act that a tv should last for 10 yrs........
Now if after warranty period and less than 10yrs old what protection does a
consumer have?
Ive heard that some consumers are asked to pay for labour and manufacturer
parts. This seems unreasonable as labour is usually the more expensive part.

What actually happens in these cases???? any examples out there !!!!!

thanks Lee

Re: TVs and warranty??

None. That's what the warranty is for

The only legal protection you have with a warranty is if it's under 3
months.

Rear Projection screens last the least amount of time

Re: TVs and warranty??

Wrong, as always. Pity about the TPA.

Wrong, as always. Pity about the TPA.

Irrelevant to your legal rights, fuckwit child.

Re: TVs and warranty??

My giant TEAC blew up a few months out of warranty. Very annoying.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

was that outside the extended warranty or the 12 months ?

Re: TVs and warranty??

12 months. Giant pile of crap that it is. Got it repaired.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

My Lg 60" was 33 days out of warranty and fixed free.
  it pays to research "common" faults and make a case when complaining .

Re: TVs and warranty??

This one was a lightning strike and power surge! Odd that all the other
contraptions on the same plug-in power board were OK though. It fried the
power thing inside the TV (and the fuse...).

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

I had a Philips TV hit by a lightning strike some years ago. My Insurance
company replaced it with a newer Philips, as it could not be repaired for
want of a part, & I only had to pay $100 "excess". This new one has been
going well, except that when I turn it on there is sometimes no sound, cured
by switching off and on again.

BTW I would not buy another Philips appliance, & probably ditto for Teac,
which also has an alias, namely "Hisense".
--
David Barnett

Re: TVs and warranty??

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 22:50:27 GMT, "David Barnett"

I have a sony WEGA 68cm and an NEC 68cm. The NEC is hardly used and
was replaced by the Sony that gets used every day. The Sony has a much
better picture and has been going strong for about 4 years now, never
once missed a beat. The NEC cost me nothing an is about 6 years old.
The NEC looks pretty crap quality wise, but it still goes.

Re: TVs and warranty??

You need a belkin pure av power protector board .
  Mine has huge insurance and since installation provided good protection

Re: TVs and warranty??

Yes, I've got one protecting my AV gear. And anyone who's buying a
Plasma or big money electrical appliance would be silly not to pay the
extra $50 - $150 (or whatever, depending on the cost of the item ) and
get an extended warranty.

--

rgds,

Pete
~~~~~
Re: TVs and warranty??

Yeah, I keep thinking about that. Belkin eh?
My area seems to cop a lot of strikes.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

We took a strike recently , lost 20 ft of tree on the back fence ,
triggered the Belkins in the house and stopped my ups in the office  ,
nothing died though.. and at $80.00 each I figure a save like that is
good value .

Re: TVs and warranty??

The drop fuses on my power pole keep, er, dropping.
Then I had the TV-killing strike, and one night there was an almighty flash
and bang, and the house alarm triggered itself.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Sounds like you need some central filters and a few other bits"n"pieces
installed .
  I would suggest in future if there is any likelyhood of lightening
unplugging stuff would be good.

Re: TVs and warranty??

I do! Every darn day, pretty well. Last time I was away o/s, the goddam drop
fuses dropped (there was a big storm apparenlty) and the fridge defrosted
and I lost my extensive collection of home-made stock. BLOODY annoying (and
smelly for the family who had to evict it from the freezer). Now you can't
get sides of veal easily, so no stock for me this year.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Or do as we have and wire in a back up genny , power goes and you drop
the iso switch and the stinky old genny  fires up .
  Currently with a full beast in the freezer I would hate to loose it.

Re: TVs and warranty??

thing would have had to have been going for a week before anyone knew the
power was gone.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;