TV techs - what's this?

Dead Loewe Arcada 8672 ZP (article number 57437 L32). This is a 100Hz 4:3
CRT TV. I think it is from 1997 judging by the "By 634/97/Ro" on the back.

No picture or menu displayed.

Funny black mark on the back of the tube
http://www.flickr.com/photos/totoblue/sets/72157600492269015 /
Not sure if it is a scorch mark or it's supposed to be there.
Anyone know?

When plugged in, the two front panel lights come on and the every 5 seconds
or so, it sounds like a relay clicks (it doesn't sound like it is arcing)
and IIRC the front panel green light goes out for a fraction of a second at
the same time. The red light is on and blinks when the remote is used.
Nothing displayed on the screen (not even menus).

Any got any ideas? I'm not wanting to fix it myself but want to know a ball
park repair cost before I spend any money even to get a quote.

Re: TV techs - what's this?

tubehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/totoblue/sets/72157600492269015 /

line output transformer and / or line output transistor. vertical
output chip is known to go sc. And ( sorry ) all this could have
cooked the "jungle chip ".

Re: TV techs - what's this?

I think you are a funny guy

[...]

"Totoblue"  wrote...

I don't see any "funny black mark"?
Are you refering to the center ~1/3 of the tube envelope
above the neck/yoke that appears to be a darker color?
That is a very normal appearance. The gray portion on
either side (and presumably below the neck) is a conductive
paint called "Aquadag"  The tube appears to be "darker"
perhaps in that center section where you are looking
through the clear glass envelope at the metalization on
the inside.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquadag

The Aquadag on the outside is grounded (via those "wire
braids" wrapped around it) and the outside and the inside
of the tube form a giant capacitor which filters the high
voltage.  Note that "capacitor" can hold a very nasty jolt
if you don't properly discharge it (as you remove the big
red high-voltage wire).

Sounds like a basic power supply problem. Those things are
very tricky to work on even with the proper equipment and
information. Definitely NOT a DIY repair job.  It is almost
certainly not worth as much as it would cost to repair.  It may
not even be worth as much as it costs to get an estimate.
Welcome to disposable consumer goods.

Re: TV techs - what's this?

Yes that's what I was referring to.  Thanks.

Re: TV techs - what's this?

FBT.

I do not suggest you fix it yourself. Too dangerous and not a trvial fix.

Where are you?

If in Melbourne e-mail me at  rudolflATrumatech.com

Rudolf

Re: TV techs - what's this?

You haven't seen the back of a crt before? I know you'd like to fix it
yourself but do you think you have the skills and do you have basic test
equipment?

Re: TV techs - what's this?

I have and had no intention of fixing it myself.  That's why I wrote "I'm
not wanting to fix it myself but want to know a ball park repair cost
before I spend any money even to get a quote."

Thanks for your concern.

I only opened it up to see if there was anything obviously fried.  If half
of the components were fried, it'd obviously be not worth getting repaired.

Re: TV techs - what's this?

Sorry I didn't see that.

Like JANA mentioned it could be costly considering the age. With the
symptoms you described I doubt you would see anything "fried". If you have
the money, get yourself a new set I think you would be happier. :)

Re: TV techs - what's this?

Yeah but I wish I could of earnt money fixing TV'S by assessing "what was
wrong" just by "LOOKING" at it

It never worked and it never will, as they say "how long is a piece of
string" most of the time you don't know how much the cost is until you are
finished.

Sorry I didn't see that.

repaired.

Like JANA mentioned it could be costly considering the age. With the
symptoms you described I doubt you would see anything "fried". If you have
the money, get yourself a new set I think you would be happier. :)

Re: TV techs - what's this?

   LOOKING AT IT   involves several things ,     usually u say to a tech , "
can u look at this , its not  working and its making a buzzing sound ..."

 i`m sure every tech has a   LOOK   to see if there are any signs of obvious
, burnt components , dry solder joints , burnt tracks , corroded connectors
, any liquids etc... spilled inside ,

mark k

Re: TV techs - what's this?

Depends on where you are going to take it.

I can probably do it for about $250.

Rudolf

Re: TV techs - what's this?

The back of the CRT looks normal.

You will not be able to fix the set yourself without the proper service
manual, test equipment, and training.

The flashing lights means that there is a failure in either the power
supply, or the one of the scan amplifiers, or in the high voltage section.
Proper troubleshooting procedures will be required to service your set. Then
you will require a source for the proper parts.

I would suggest you give the set out for an estimate.  I can tell you in
advance, that the service for your set may be on the expensive side,
considering the age of the set.

Note, there are very serious safety issues when trying to service a TV set,
and you are not properly trained and equipped.

--

JANA
_____

Re: TV techs - what's this?

You know there is a recall on some Loewe televisions ?

Re: TV techs - what's this?

Yes, thanks.  I plugged in the serial number etc to the web page and this
one is not affected.

Re: TV techs - what's this?

LCD ones, I beleive.

Rudolf