TV remote button problem

What is the fluid on the circuit board for? Some of my old remote
control buttons don't work so I open it up, spread the existing fluid
around with my finger and onto the bottom of the button contacts too.
It then works ok for a while.
Should I put more fluid on the circuit board?
Should I avoid putting fluid on any particular components or areas of
the board?
What is it?
What is it's function?
Where do I get it?

Re: TV remote button problem

Its your sweat, get rid of it! I usually wash it of with detergent and
water, dry and then clean with alcohol.

Tom

Re: TV remote button problem

The rubber button membrane covers the whole curcuit board in one piece
so I doubt so much sweat could get around it and cover the entire
board. It feels like oil to me or maybe its something like the fluid
they use to do ultra sounds with.

Re: TV remote button problem

I think that rubber is porous. From my experience the rate the fluid
gathers inside the remote is directly proportional to usage, I have some
remotes clean after 3 years of ocasional use yet one that my partner
holds in her hands most evenings needs a clean every 2-3 months.

Tom

Re: TV remote button problem

"yawong"

**  ROTFL

There is no fluid on the PCBs of new RC units.

An oily film ( therefore insulating ) can develop over time, it comes from
the silicone rubber pad itself.

Just clean the PCB with a rag dipped in metho and do the same for the
silicone pad too.

It will then work like new.

.....  Phil

Re: TV remote button problem

Aaah. That makes sense because the oil seems to be more visible where
the rubber makes contact with the curcuit board.
Thanks

Site Timeline