TV remote button problem

What is the fluid on the circuit board for? Some of my old remote control buttons don't work so I open it up, spread the existing fluid around with my finger and onto the bottom of the button contacts too. It then works ok for a while. Should I put more fluid on the circuit board? Should I avoid putting fluid on any particular components or areas of the board? What is it? What is it's function? Where do I get it?

Reply to
yawong

Its your sweat, get rid of it! I usually wash it of with detergent and water, dry and then clean with alcohol.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

"yawong"

** ROTFL

There is no fluid on the PCBs of new RC units.

An oily film ( therefore insulating ) can develop over time, it comes from the silicone rubber pad itself.

Just clean the PCB with a rag dipped in metho and do the same for the silicone pad too.

It will then work like new.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The rubber button membrane covers the whole curcuit board in one piece so I doubt so much sweat could get around it and cover the entire board. It feels like oil to me or maybe its something like the fluid they use to do ultra sounds with.

Reply to
yawong

Aaah. That makes sense because the oil seems to be more visible where the rubber makes contact with the curcuit board. Thanks

Reply to
yawong

I think that rubber is porous. From my experience the rate the fluid gathers inside the remote is directly proportional to usage, I have some remotes clean after 3 years of ocasional use yet one that my partner holds in her hands most evenings needs a clean every 2-3 months.

Tom

Reply to
Tom