TV antenna adaptor

My new VHF antenna has an adaptor with two short insulated wires at one end
and a screw-on attachment for the co-ax at the other end. The two wires are
meant to be connected to the arms of the antenna, using the wingnuts on the
antenna, and the co-ax is connected to the other end of the adaptor by a
screw-on device that grips the shielding of the co-ax with a threaded
cylinder and screws to the adaptor with a threaded hex-nut.

My  question, before I caper around on the roof like a twenty-year-old, is
this: The resistance between the two wires, even without the co-ax or the
co-ax connector being connected, is zero. Unmeasurable. This cannot be
right? Can it?

Re: TV antenna adaptor

"T.T."

 ** Yes it is right.

 The tiny windings of small RF baluns have negligible DC resistance .

 One needs pretty fancy RF test gear to measure the actual impedance in the
VHF or UHF bands.

........ Phil

Re: TV antenna adaptor

Thanks for that. I was checking to make sure that I had not shorted the
shield to the conductor, and confused myself no end..
Up onto the roof.

Re: TV antenna adaptor

Don't forget to get the polarisation correct.

Re: TV antenna adaptor

"Mark Harriss"

**  Yeah  -   or else you will have to wear polarising glasses when you
watch the telly.

............  Phil

Re: TV antenna adaptor

Yeah you can get 3D with two antennas at different
polarisations and those coloured glasses.

Re: TV antenna adaptor

sounds like an "F" conneector.

It's right. the transformer inside the unit is designed for VHF and has very
little wire in it. as a result it has negligable DC resistance.

Bye.
   Jasen

Site Timeline