TV

and > nothing happens, as though there is no power supply. Doesn't seem like the > tube has gone or anything like that. What is the likely cause? Blown fuse? > Easy to fix?

Gotta love people who think like that :-) Fuses rarely blow for no reason. The cause *may* be easy to fix, or just as likely difficult and/or expensive! If you have to ask I suggest it will not be easy for YOU to fix however, unless buying a new set is an "easy fix" :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

What is that likely to cost? If it is more than say, $50, then clearly that would be very stupid course of action.

Reply to
Tron

Buying a new set would not be an easy fix.

Surely there would be a fuse near the power supply to handle power surges.

Reply to
Tron

"Tron"

** Go find it and replace it, should be rated between 2 to 5 amps.

Be sure to buy a "slow blow" type - will have the letter " T " in front of the amp rating.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Such things have been known to happen !

A bugger on my JVC to get at the fuse. I finally fixed the problem by adding a surge arrester across the incoming mains.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Or help keep the undertakers in business !

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

and

the

fuse?

I take it that English wasn't your strongest subject at school.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

utton and

like the

own fuse?

Graham mate, welcome aboard. No, English was not my best subject at school. That would be chemistry. I'll tell you something for nothing though, I know what the word pretentious means.

Zappy

Eeek. I'd be more inclined to replace it with the exact specified type.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Pretentious, moi ?!!!

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Prehentious would be someone who wrongly assumes that a poster directed at Graham would be intended for Geoff.

Reply to
TG'sFM

No 'prehentious' would be somebody with a tail to tell.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

** Which, if you can read, is what my post says to do.

Fuckwit.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If you are in Sydney call Phil Allison, our resident "expert". On second thoughts don't bother. It's a TV you want fixed, not a toaster. :-(

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Hi Fuckwit ....Phil (hey , great sig !).

So the label on the back of the chassis says "Fuse spec, between 2 and 5 amps, slow-blow" ?

geoff

Reply to
geoff

I would expect that the orderly will be around soon with your medication, and a fresh straight jacket for you..

Michael A. Terrell

I've finally got round to doing this. I've seen the warning on the back of the TV that says "Do not remove cover. Electric shock."

Two questions:

  1. If I have the TV unplugged, is there no risk of electric shock?

  1. Do I need to take off the whole back half of the TV just to look at the fuses near the power supply?

Reply to
Tron

there is often still a risk of electric shock. best practice is to stand on an insulating surface and only touch the internals of TV with one hand (and no other body part)

large electric charges may be stored in the capacitors near the power section and in the CRT itself.

Usually, yes. in most cases the fuse will not blow unless some other part of the TV is faulty, so the makers have no incentive to make the fuse easily accessible,

Reply to
Jasen Betts