TV - Page 2

Re: TV

Everyone knows that things with 'tubes' in them sound sooo much better ;)

Re: TV

God's done you a big favour. Quit whilst you're ahead.

Re: TV

"whilst"

How quaint.

Re: TV

and
the
fuse?

I take it that English wasn't your strongest subject at school.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to
my

Re: TV

Graham mate, welcome aboard. No, English was not my best subject at
school. That would be chemistry. I'll tell you something for nothing
though, I know what the word pretentious means.

Cheers

Re: TV

Pretentious, moi ?!!!

geoff

Re: TV

Prehentious would be someone who wrongly assumes that a poster
directed at Graham would be intended for Geoff.

Re: TV

No 'prehentious' would be somebody with a tail to tell.

geoff

Re: TV

and
 > nothing happens, as though there is no power supply.   Doesn't seem like
the
 > tube has gone or anything like that.  What is the likely cause?  Blown
fuse?
 > Easy to fix?

Gotta love people who think like that :-)
Fuses rarely blow for no reason. The cause *may* be easy to fix, or just as
likely difficult and/or expensive!
If you have to ask I suggest it will not be easy for YOU to fix however,
unless buying a new set is an "easy fix" :-)

MrT.

Re: TV

Buying a new set would not be an easy fix.

Surely there would be a fuse near the power supply to handle power surges.

Re: TV

"Tron"

** Go find it and replace it, should be rated between 2 to 5 amps.

Be sure to buy a  "slow  blow" type -  will have the letter " T " in front
of the amp rating.

.....  Phil

Re: TV

Eeek. I'd be more inclined to replace it with the exact specified type.

geoff

Re: TV

"geoff"

 ** Which, if you can read, is what my post says to do.

   Fuckwit.

.....   Phil

Re: TV

Hi Fuckwit ....Phil (hey , great sig !).

So the label on the back of the chassis says "Fuse spec, between 2 and 5
amps, slow-blow" ?

geoff

Re: TV

I've finally got round to doing this.  I've seen the warning on the back of
the TV that says "Do not remove cover. Electric shock."

Two questions:

1. If I have the TV unplugged, is there no risk of electric shock?

2. Do I need to take off the whole back half of the TV just to look at the
fuses near the power supply?

Re: TV

there is often still a risk of electric shock. best practice is to
stand on an insulating surface and only touch the internals of TV with
one hand (and no other body part)

large electric charges may be stored in the capacitors near the power
section and in the CRT itself.

Usually, yes. in most cases the fuse will not blow unless some other
part of the TV is faulty, so the makers have no incentive to make the
fuse easily accessible,

Re: TV

Such things have been known to happen !

A bugger on my JVC to get at the fuse. I finally fixed the problem by adding a
surge arrester across the incoming mains.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to
my email address

Re: TV

   I would expect that the orderly will be around soon with your
medication, and a fresh straight jacket for you..