Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E - Page 6

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Read John's post again. The economic harm is done when someone buys the
50MHz version, intending to modify it, when in the absence of the
disseminated information, they would have bought the more expensive
instrument.

The moral thing would be to have announced that "We have discovered that
the two instruments are electrically identical, and it is possible to
modify the 50MHz version, in firmware, to behave identically to the 100MHz
version. We are not disclosing how to do this. We invite comments from the
manufacturer."

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Again, what they get when modifying it is *not* a guaranteed 100MHz scope.
What they may have bought instead of the 50MHz version is not the same, they
would need to pay for a guaranteed scope. They are quite entitled to buy a
50MHz scope and run it out of scec.

But at no point does anyone say that this mod equals the real thing, only
that it 'appears' to be the same thing.

If you're saying that it is OK for someone to discover how to modify their
own equipment and then run out of spec but not OK to tell others how to do
it, then surely all those websites that provide financial information as to
how to move their money around with credit cards and hence pay less interest
are also wrong, after all you could discover how to do that yourself. In
either case the results are legal.

Mark.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

I wouldn't dispute that. It's not what is at issue.

You've already said that, twice. I have no disagreement with that.

I was making a moral, not a legal point. Maybe you don't distinguish.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

OK, I understand. However I assume you also think these websites that
publish these less well known financial tricks are also ammoral. I conceed
that your point was a moral one though not a legal one.

Mark.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

AIUI, most financial sites are acting as brokers, hence get commission,

Caveat emptor!

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 13:50:49 -0700, Fred Abse

Yes, do what ethical people do if they discover vulnerabilities in
software: inform the manufacturer and give them time to do a fix
before you go public... if you go public at all.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

"Fred Abse"

** Rigol were keeping customers in the dark about the real situation and
exploiting it for profit  -  otherwise known as PULLING  A  SCAM  !!

Now that customers are informed they can make a choice based on knowledge.

Rigol were obtaining benefit from a deception and that is criminal behaviour
in any place outside China.

** Absolute drivel.

The moral thing to do when one uncovers a scam going on is to blow it wide
open.

Been there and done that many times.

.....  Phil

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Easy for you to say. You work in audio, where scams are the norm.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

"John Larkin = Criminal LIAR "

**  This is all you need to know.

....  Phil

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Your insults and profanity are so frequent and so universal that they
have lost what little force they may have once had. You have become
background noise.

John

John Larkin = Criminal LIAR

"John Larkin = Criminal LIAR "

** This is all you need to know.

Larkin has often bragged how there is no need to be truthful on usenet.

Course, the fact is he is not truthful anywhere.

....   Phil

Re: John Larkin = Criminal LIAR

  Is there anybody in the entire world that doesn't rub the burr under
your saddle the wrong way?

Re: John Larkin = Criminal LIAR

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 08:20:09 -0700, Copacetic

Shun Allison.  The simplest solution... unless you have a need for a
personal ego trip satisfied only by putting down ignorami.

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

I expect there are many who would willingly flatten that burr if philthy
was available

Re: John Larkin = Criminal LIAR

Oh, go repair a broken fuzz pedal or something. A lot of those
problems are just beer spills.

John

John Larkin = Criminal LIAR

"John Larkin = Criminal LIAR "

** This is all you need to know about the vile scumbag.

Larkin has often bragged how there is no need to be truthful on usenet.

Course, the fact is he is not truthful anywhere.

Cos he is a psychopath.

....   Phil

Allison gets high marks for High IQ!

With so many insults being hurled around here , can't we compliment
each other once in a while?