Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E - Page 23

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:04:00 -0700, "Joel Koltner"

Depends.  If the customer superficially requests BIST, they pay for it.  It
may be useful in production also.  ;-)

BIST is no different than any other option.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

I happen to agree with you John, I am a professional design engineer (and a
director of an electronics company) and I see nothing wrong whatsoever in
the way Rigol market these scopes. If they want to give you hardware that is
capable of 100MHz operation but reduce it's capability and sell it as a
50MHz scope then they are quite entitled to do so, after all what you've
paid for is a scope that's guaranteed to 50MHz. However, if they take that
road and are stupid enough to allow someone to make a simple mod to recover
the additional performance (or at least maybe some of it) then they take the
consequences, people will do it!

But Rigol may well have not been as silly as we think. After all this has
opened up a discussion about Rigol scopes to people who would maybe wouldn't
have looked at them in detail. The general impression (overclocking ADCs
aside) is that they are extremely good value for money in terms of
price/performance. I for one have been looking closely at their combined
scope/logic analyzers and am tempted to buy one, and that was on the basis
of seeing this thread!

Proof though will be if Rigol complain to Youtube to have the video removed.
I strongly suspect they won't bother (at least not yet), as that model may
well be upgraded and that particular problem negated. In the meantime they
get lots of publicity.

Mark.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

type of behavior
You have no
screw over your

Whatever you do to earn a living, do you do it for free?

Nial.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

As I mentioned before, this is routinely done by, for instance, Agilent.
You can buy some extra GHz by entering the license code. This is _not_
new nor hidden!

Pere

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Right. Rigol just didn't lock it down hard enough.

John

Site Timeline