Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E - Page 22

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Still true.  The brats are now to leach off mom and dad's insurance until age
26.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 17:16:17 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" =

No, Gov't handouts, i have met them face to face.  Mummy and Doody could20%
support them but won't.  So they go "on the dole".

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

They did nothing wrong. They had identical products(or all intents and
purposes) but slapped two different labels on them and charged different
prices for generating revenue.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN US? You think that's ethical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising

I bet you have no problem with any of those methods to rip off the customer.

Either you are terribly naive or just as bad as rigor. See that your going
far out of your way to find justifications doesn't say much about your
na´vetÚ.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Nothing "false" about giving people more than they paid for, even if you don't
tell them.

I bet you're always this dense.

You telegraph yours in color.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

LOL! Good one!

Your a liberal right? Only a liberal could come up with something like that!

Your not dense but an outright imbecile. In no way intelligent way can one
justify that what Rigol did was give more product for what they paid for.
What your claiming is that Rigol gave people a 50Mhz scope that was actually
a 100Mhz but didn't tell them.

It would be like if you went to buy a used car but they gave you a Ferrari
except it doesn't look like a Ferrari, doesn't perform like a Ferrari,
doesn't get the chicks and is nothing like a Ferrari except that both are
classified as vehicles. Yet in your world you believe that person got more
than they paid for.

Either you are the car salesman, from WeFuckYouInEveryWholeOnEverySale
Autos, or your the buyer that buys from them.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

No, I wouldn't own a liberal if they were free.  You're stupid, right?

They didn't "give" their customers anything.  They *sold* them a 50MHz scope
advertised as a 50MHz scope.  It may (or not) perform better than advertised,
but that's not fraud by any stretch of a sane person's mind.  You're stupid,
right?

I didn't pay for a Ferrari, I wouldn't expect a Ferrari.  You're proving my
point, here.  You're stupid, right?

You're stupid, right?

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 21:42:38 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" =

His nym was well chosen from a shit-com character many years ago.  It was=
20%
either the one with the junk yard or the dry cleaning business.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:53:51 -0500, "George Jefferson"

What did Riogol do that was false advertising? As far as I know, both
scopes deliver more bandwidth than promised and both are excellent
values. Their features blow away the low-end Tek scopes that cost 2x
or 3x as much.

I sell versions of products that differ only in enabled features. So
does practically anybody who sells products whose performance depends
on firmware and other IP that was expensive to develop.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 18:23:24 -0700, John Larkin

As do we.  Our upper end base unit does have a couple of bucks worth of
op-amps that the less expensive model doesn't have but the mobile units are
identical except for the firmware.  There are more protections to prevent
upgrading than Riogol used, however.

This was mentioned before, but I worked on the crypto stuff that IBM used in
their mainframes to enable processors based on customer payments.  If they
needed more compute power for year-end statement processing (or whatever)
they'd pay for more CPUs and the key to use those computers, for the time of
the payment, was sent to the crypto unit to unlock the processors.  A complete
complement of processors was shipped in every box and only the software
configuration determined how many the customer could use (two to ten).  As a
bonus, if one processor fell over another would pick up where it left off with
no additional payment required.  I guess that was fraud, too.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

...and I'm guessing that when you plug a mobile unit into a PC via the
mini-USB connector, at least you guys used your own vendor/product ID so that
even if you are just using, e.g., an FTDI chip in there, Windows doesn't
"conveniently" install the serial port driver for you!

(We do that on our products, not because we have anything to protect, but just
because it's a lot easier when troubleshooting with customers to tell them to
look at "XYZ Corp USB Widget" rather than a generic "FTDI serial port" or
whatever and we know exactly which version of the drivers our "XYZ Corp"
install disk is using whereas Windows tries to be smart and updates them from
time to time, which on occasion can cause problems.)

We have a multi-slot charger that has the ability to send programming
parameters, update firmware, etc. to a unit in any one of the slots, but we
officially only support programming in slot #1 (and the slikscreen even says,
"programming, this slot only" on it) -- this happened after a long internal
debate over whether or not end-users were, um, "sophiticated" enough to get
some benefit out of being able to program in any slot vs. the extra support
calls from those who were telling the software to program a unit in, say, slot
#6 when they'd actually inserted their unit into slot #3 and couldn't figure
out why they kept getting error messages.

The "this could be a whole lot of extra support problem" argument eventually
won out.

There is, however, a magic phrase you can type to "unlock" the ability to
program through any slot -- all the hardware and software to make this happen
was done by the time the internal discussion had been settled.  The
manufacturing guys use this so that they can just load up all the slots with
units, they start loading new firmware, and by the time they finish loading
the last slot, it's usually been long enough that they can go back and remove
the first on and keep going.

That's a pretty good model.

---Joel

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:06:20 -0700, "Joel Koltner"

Sure.  Didn't you try it?  The TI DSP runs the USB port.

Never foolproof anything.  All you do is create bigger fools.

Good idea.  It also kicks the decision whether to support all slots down the
road as far as possible.  I don't like painting myself into a corner either.

It solved a *lot* of problems.  The development team referred to it as
"Dial-A-MIP".  ;-)

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

No.  We had them for a long enough time that we could have, but had a rather
rushed evaluation as we'd just let them sit around for a few days and then got
an unexpected call from the place that had loaned them to us... telling us we
had them return them in the next day or two, as they had an Actual Paying
Customer who needed them for a show.  Hence our evaluation was confined to
playing with the base station and belt packs; we didn't plug a computer into
either of them.

Still, in that limited period of time lots of nice things were said about
them-- in general they work quite well, certainly; they're a huge improvement
over the old wired "party line" style intercom system I used in stage crew
some decades back!

Yep, agreed.  I've known programmers and designers who get way too hung up on,
"I have to know exactly EVERY LAST BIT of a spec before I can do ANYTHING,"
and they're just no fun to work with -- especially given how I've never worked
on a project of any significant complexity where there weren't various spec
changes between the beginning and end of the project anyway.

---Joel

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:52:44 -0700, "Joel Koltner"

There's a rather major announcement/demonstration coming at NAB next week.
It's "only" firmware, but it's really cute.  Did you notice that our partner
was bought out?  ...a little scary.

I don't like the opposite either; no specs - wing it.  Whatever happens it's
then the engineer's fault for having a defective Ouija board.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Great, I'll "watch" for it.

No, I hadn't -- just tracked down the announcement now.  That is intriguing!
Sounds like the new owners might be more focused on all this wireless stuff
than the old ones, though, which could be beneficial.  The new guys provided
the wireless intercom systems that I used some twenty-some-odd years ago as
McDonalds burger flipper; they must be doing something right to still be
around, I expect.

Yes... you need a spec so that it's easy to document why the project schedule
is slipping.  "See, you changed the project spec last Monday, and the Tuesday
before that, and then again yesterday afternoon, and..." :-)

---Joel

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 21:28:44 -0700, "Joel Koltner"

Might be beneficial.  Fortunately we have a pretty good toe-hold in the market
now.  A year ago, not so much.

That line is in direct competition with the low end of our other intercom
product line.  It's not bad stuff, but rather stripped.

"Why doesn't it support ____?  I said we needed ____.  Didn't you read my
email?  No, I don't keep copies of all my emails."

Me: "I do."