Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E - Page 21

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Chicken anonymous alias the Phantom cried:

That is actually just the same as storage.
you do not even need a trigger, just log everything for a day.
No need even for a scope, just store it in some memory,
All you need is a counter, some ADC, and FLASH or whatever :-)
Because now you are talking about times > milliseconds.
For anything shorter, as Tim pointed out, use a reel of coax :-)
But get of the heroine habit first to be able to pay for it :-)

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

You're scrambling to recover now.  What model analog scope which you used when
you were growing up was capable of storing many megabytes of data sampled at
even as low as 4 gigasamples/second?

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On a sunny day (9 Apr 2010 05:21:01 -0500) it happened The Phantom

In the early days there were no scopes.
We counted the samples by hand, and carved the values in rock.
Much longer preserved and better data integrity than FLASH.
hehe
You are changing subject, read what I wrote, and if you cannot live with that,m
you are free to opt out,

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Me, neither.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 20:25:33 -0700,

Digital is great for one-shot events, like destroying parts, or for
decoding digital data streams, or for nabbing a beautiful waveform for
photography.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

They all appear to use scan converter tubes, effectively a small CRT
coupled to a CCD with LCD raster display.

If they're anything like the 400MHz, LeCroy-badged one that I had on demo
for a few weeks, some years ago, the trace will be unacceptably thick. We
sent that one back.

I'd happily pay $28K plus for something the ilk of a 7104.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:52:37 -0700, Fred Abse

7103s and 7104s appear on ebay for around the cost of shipping. Our
7104 is the only analog scope I ever use.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

I meant something new / modern, the ilk of a 7104. I've already got two
7104s

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:24:56 -0700, Fred Abse

Then you probably have callouses on your thumb from reflexively
whacking the little red watchdog timer button. MCPs have a lifetime
coulomb rating.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 11:23:19 -0700, John Larkin =

Perhaps the cost of the supporting hardware and algorithm development did=
20%
not look attractive in comparison to the varactor method.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 21:17:22 -0700,

you
having
in

The 1052 already has user-programmable lowpass/highpass/bandpass
digital filtering. Pretty cool.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 21:47:27 -0700, John Larkin =

Postprocessing is not the same as input channel bandwidth limiting. 20%
Check out the schematics of Tek analog 'scopes with input channel20%
bandwidth limiting.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 19:38:52 -0700,

house
you
his
having
in
door?

Well, they hardly had the option to do digital filtering.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 22:11:47 -0700, John Larkin

message
house
you
Your
his
having
couch in
door?

But I wonder what various digital scopes do at slower sweep speeds.
Clock the ADC slower? Throw away samples? Interpolate? Filter?

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

message
house
day you
Your
his
having
couch in
door?

The only way to find out is to input a signal that causes aliasing.
With high samplerates, short memories and limited hardware the only
way is to simply discard samples.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

That more or less happened to the landlord of the apartment my #2
daughter shared with 2 friends at the University of Toronto:  due to a
code violation, he wasn't able to rent out one of the rooms in the
apartment, so he gave them a discount instead.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 11:17:56 -0700, "Joel Koltner"

Nah, nail the door shut and throw the lazy bum out.  He won't be a liberal
Democrat long.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Sure he will, he needs to keep all those entitlements coming in so that he
doesn't have to work any time soon. :-)