Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E - Page 20

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 20:16:59 -0700, John Larkin =

You clearly have forgotten how delayed sweep works.  The sweep is not20%
even on the same trigger cycle.  Say alternate trace, just like is20%
typical for multichannel analog scopes (dual gun scopes excepted).

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 19:09:57 -0700,

the
that?

Stupid ass. See my comments elsewhere in this thread about this. With
numbers.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

that?

Why weren't you able to do what you wanted to do with a digital scope?  What
model digital scope was it?

Go have a look over on alt.binaries.schematics.electronic.

advantage

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 17:36:30 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Please explain how a delaying timebase could allow one to see events before (and
I mean much more than a delay line's worth of "before") the trigger event if the
trigger event is a one-shot event; no periodic waveforms involved.

advantage

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

that?

He probably refers to zooming in on the next recurrence of a periodic
waveform. But signal period jitter and scope delaying timebase jitter
can be nasty. Classic delayed sweeps and sampling scope timebases run
in the ballpark of one part jitter in 20,000 to 50,000 of the delay
time.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 08:33:23 -0700, John Larkin

the
that?
(and
the

That's why I asked how it would work with a non-periodic waveform (one-shot, in
other words).  Modern digital scopes have no problem with such a situation.  See
my example in ABSE.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

that?

Before you show what an asshole you are, again, do note the quotes around
"before".

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 07:01:52 -0700, John Larkin

Aren't you the one who showed a scope aliasing a signal such that it reversed
time, a couple of years back?

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

When the low end digital scope aliases like hell.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 07:05:25 -0700, John Larkin =

<snip>

John, it writes to a miniature phosphor screen at up to 10 divisions/ns. =
20%
That is analog.  Then phosphor trace is amplified in intensity, and image=
20%
size is scaled up with a fiber optic lens and a camera like sensor.  Then=
 it20%
is digitized, rasterized and colorized.  They have to make these tubes20%
themselves, and i bet there are new patents involved.  In terms of20%
repeatable triggering and single shot capture it goes toe to toe with20%
any previous technology, notably including your 7104 and DVST scopes.

The old Tek scopes were DVSTs.  Two guns, one write gun and one projector=
20%
gun both on the same side of the storage grating.  The scan converters =
are20%
a different technology.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

I always preferred the HP storage tubes over the Tek ones.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:52:36 -0700, Fred Abse

The original Tek storage scopes didn't have a grating. They used
secondary emission off the surface of the phosphor, a trick that had
been around for a while [1]. They had a light trace on a paler
illuminated bachground, the illumination coming from the flood gun.

Some of the later Tek scopes used the HP-style mesh storage effect.
They looked great compared to the older washed-out secondary-emission
things, bright trace on black background, nice variable persistance,
good tube life, but the writing rate wasn't as good.

I think Tek and HP had a blanket cross-license on oscilloscope
technology. The story is in Lee's book on the history of Tek, as I
recall. There was an argument over whether some license fee would be
donated to the Stanford or Portland football teams.

John

[1] I think it was Whirlwind that used secondary-emission CRTs as RAM.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

They are a lot cheaper second hand because no-one wants an analog
scope anymore. $500 should be enough.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

There is still a few us who want one.  I am still on the lookout for20%
a Tek 2465 or very similar.  There are cases where even my TDS 544A20%
won't get me the same results.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

The Iwatsu SS-7847A is a very good oscilloscope and less old than the
2465.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

The Tek 2465 has not been made for many years, the only ones available20%
are used.  And guess what, they are a damn sight less than $12000.  My20%
current use is more like (kind of well off) expert hobbyist.  Guess20%
which one fits my needs best.