Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E - Page 18

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 18:50:36 -0500, "George Jefferson"

Who got ripped off buying a Rigol 50 MHz scope? Or buying the 100 Mhz
version? Are you saying that either didn't meet advertised specs, or
that neither was a good value?

If you don't like Rigol scopes, buy Tek or Agilent or LeCroy.

Of course, the low-end Agilent is actually a Rigol. They rebrand it
and sell it for about twice the price of the Rigol. How do you like
that for rip-off-ness?

What kind of scope did you last buy? I got a Rigol 1052, and I'll
probably buy a few more.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

None of this is relevant. We are discussing the ethics involved. There is a
reason you don't get it.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:23:44 -0500, "George Jefferson"

Probably because I'm very happy with my 1052 and think it's an amazing
50 MHz scope for the money.

What kind of scope did you last buy?

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Wow, you just deprived Agilent of their hard earned cash, since a lot of
people will buy Rigol instead.
You should have kept this information to yourself.

--
Andrew

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Depends on your definition of "hard earned." Agilent, like Keithley
and most of the appliance sellers in this country, is cashing in on
their name by grossly marking up Chinese products. I don't know if
Tek's scopes are really Tek-designed, but most are made in China these
days.

When we don't make anything any more, we can survive by selling one
another insurance, or working for the government.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Bwahahahaha.  That tidbit is kind of common knowledge around here =
(s.e.d).

46%or some real interesting times go really hunting for fast analog =
scopes,20%
they are available, though not inexpensive.  500 MHz is still reasonably20%
available, for about the price of a modest car.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 21:28:29 -0700,

Tek 7103s and 7104s, 1 GHz analog scopes with microchannel plate CRTs,
are fairly cheap on the used market.

An 11801 sampler with a 12 GHz head can be had for under $2K. Nice
scopes.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 21:45:57 -0700, John Larkin

Got a good source for decent probes?  A set of probes often costs more than
the (used) scope, which seem always to be missing their probes.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 21:45:57 -0700, John Larkin =

John, i am talking about brand _new_ analog 'scopes.  Probably with20%
microchannel faceplates as well.  All the old groovy Tektronix patents20%
have expired.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 19:34:32 -0700,

The only new analog scopes I know of are minor brands,
B&K/Instek/Kenwood sort of stuff. All the name-brand scopes are
digital now. LeCroy used to sell the 470 MHz Iwatsu scope, but I think
they gave that up. The Iwatsu SS-7840H is around $10K. And not even
color. It looks to me like digital scopes are less expensive at pretty
much every performance point.

Microchannel plates are insanely expensive, especially ones big enough
to be an oscilloscope screen.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Yup, economy of scale and other factors.

Iwatsu still do a 1GHz analog storage scope at $28K:
http://www.tequipment.net/IwatsuTS-81000.html

The 400MHz analog is $7500:
http://www.tequipment.net/IwatsuSS-7840.html
and the 470MHz at $12K+:
http://www.tequipment.net/IwatsuSS-7847A.html
Ouch!

Hameg do a 200MHz analog at $2500:
http://www.hameg.com/335.0.html?L=0
The Instek 200MHz one is $1800

Dave.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 15:58:46 +1000, "David L. Jones"

That's quasi-digital, with a CRT-based scan converter tube.

My friend Bernard still makes this:

http://www.greenfieldtechnology.com/-Data-aquisition-system-.html

which uses the older kind of scan converter, two electron
gun/deflection systems facing one another in one tube with some sort
of charge storage film between them. This is the one Tek used to
market. Goodness knows where he gets the tubes... probably old stock.

I don't miss tubes, or meter needles, or analog scopes at all.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 07:05:25 -0700, John Larkin

I had a couple pairs of the Tektronix version of this I bought in the late
'70s and early '80s. They had two 7000 series plug-in bays and went for ~$20K
each (don't remember if that included the 7B92 and 7A19, or not).

If it's the Tek tube, it's a 512x512 diode array inbetween the two guns.

Nope, though I do still like analog scopes, at times.  Don't have one, but
that's a different matter.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 18:07:03 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

One scope I wish I had is a Tek 519. This was a real monster, a 1 GHz
direct-view scope with a 30KV CRT, distributed deflection, and a tiny,
roughly 1x2 cm screen, intended for single-shot photography of
transient events. It had no vertical amp and ran about 2 volts/div,
where a div was like 1 mm. I do have a CRT and the manual. The
horizontal circuit is wild... it uses a 4CX250 in the sweep generator.

I have some pics if anybody's interested.

John

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Me neither.
Although the low end digitals like the Rigols are no match for an analog
scope for some jobs. So unless you've got a high end digital, it's still
useful to have that analog scope around.

Dave.

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Hi,

When might an analogue scope be better than a low end digital?

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

"Ross Vumbaca"

** There is no point in responding to this sort of crass stupidity.

Anyone dumb enough to ask simply cannot comprehend any answer that can be
posted.

  ....  Phil

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

I'm a student, and we don't use analogue scopes at Uni, so I don't know
much about them.

Most comparison websites do not list actual examples of when an analogue
scope is better and suggest that digital scopes are a replacement for
practically all applications.

Ross..

Re: Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 22:44:21 +1000, Ross Vumbaca

I can't think of much. Maybe clean X-Y plots; the digitals are sloppy
in X-Y mode.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Hills.JPG

John