Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E

Didn't Dave say in his blog something about gaussian responses?

Reply to
markp

og

ll

When I am looking at video signals with higher power RF signals on the board I will take an analog scope any day.

Reply to
brent

The advantages of single-shot acquisition, measurement cursors, long-range pre/post-trigger storage, stored waveform pan and zoom, waveform saving, signal averaging, variable/infinite persistance, color, and shoebox size are overwhelming.

For HV/RF stuff, the TPS isolated-input scopes are radical. Clip your scope ground lead anywhere.

John

nalog

still

Sure, in most cases I prefer a digital scope. When they made the digital scope user interface to mimic analog scopes interface (Why did that take like 15 years???) digital scopes are almost always better. But for the stuff available to me , I like analog scopes in the case mentioned above. I do not often come across that case. Sometimes when I am trying to get a qualitative feel for thermal noise in a receiver I prefer an analog scope too.

I have not tried the TPS isolated input scopes. I hope to get a chance to try one sometime (per your suggestion) , but our capital budgets are severely limited these days.

Reply to
brent

The Iwatsu SS-7847A is a very good oscilloscope and less old than the

2465.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Thu, 8 Apr 2010 08:57:53 -0700 (PDT)) it happened brent wrote in :

beep BAD SYNTAX

I agree, for video an analog scope is great. In fact the *ONLY* reason for digital is storage, and even then good analog storage scope once existed. Storage is important when you look at one time events, long data sequences, or events with a very low duty cycle that on an analog scope would show with a too low intensity. Those are, as far as I know, The ONLY advantages of digitising. Maybe the FFT thing, and some other processing of data can be added as advantage but that is actually no longer a scope. Larking is a scope buyer, he seems to just buy and buy scopes, not a real scope wizard. I have re-scaled him to 3 on a 0-10 scale.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I can think of a particular aspect of digital storage that, AFAIK, analog storage can't do. With digital storage, one can examine the signal BEFORE the trigger point. Has there ever been an analog storage scope that could do that?

Reply to
The Phantom

On a sunny day (8 Apr 2010 14:14:01 -0500) it happened The Phantom wrote in :

Yes, delay line.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

This one is very nifty, but looking at the block diagram in the downloadable "technology" pdf file, it appears that the only way to watch more than one channel at a time is in alternate or chopped mode. Also, unlike digital storage, one can't look at events before the trigger point.

Reply to
The Phantom

On a sunny day (Thu, 08 Apr 2010 19:16:54 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

PS if you like analog scopes for video, maybe you will like this:

The Z input!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Censorship is a concept that is measured in degrees, not black and white. To summarize your position by stating that you are completely against it , demonstrates that you have not really given much thought to the topic.

Reply to
brent

You are both ignorant AND stupid. Censorship IS black and white, my ignorant AND stupid friend. I have given far more thought to the topic than you have, for many years, you seem to be wet behind the ears, a young fool who has no experience of what censorship really means. You cannot allow ANY government to control the access to information. To do so is to give up your rights, Australia may be going down the same path that will result in Sharia Law if your ideas prevail. The thin edge of the wedge.

Reply to
fritz

Speaking of which, have you looked in a mirror lately, Mr. Pot?

Ignorance personified.

Really? You think everyone's personal information should be freely available?

Reply to
krw

When the low end digital scope aliases like hell.

Reply to
krw

Aren't you the one who showed a scope aliasing a signal such that it reversed time, a couple of years back?

Reply to
krw

Sure. Have you ever heard of delay lines? Also, delaying timebases were commonly used to look "before" the trigger event. There are applications where I'd still like a calibrated delayed timebase.

advantage

Reply to
krw

Calling me ignorant and stupid does not enhance your argument.

If you have thought about this for many years and come to the conclusion that you are totally opposed [to all government] censorship then you are not very bright.

That is so silly as to be laughable. Access to information is controlled all the time. For instance, I am not going to have access to nuclear launch codes. If I have a Top Secret Security Clearance I am automatically going along with the concept of government censorship and not pass along government information to others.

When a person enters an airport they are immediately in a censored state. Perhaps you think that every single person SHOULD be allowed to go into an airplane and start saying whatever they want like "I have a bomb", but that will pretty much get you tossed in prison without very many people (except perhaps you) wringing their hands about excessive government censorship.

And to think you have spent countless years thinking about this stuff and none of these simple ideas ever crossed your mind???? I have only been thinking about this for a few hours and already I can realize that no government censorship at all is a really really simple minded idea.

Reply to
brent

You are both ignorant AND stupid. Probably a stupid Xtian to boot!!

Read it AGAIN and weep, YOU ARE THE ignorant fool.

I thought you were just stupid, now I AM SURE YOU ARE AN IDIOT: read AGAIN WHAT I HAVE POSTED AND YOUR STUPID RESPONSE:

Reply to
fritz

e:

.

I do not know what a Xtian is. So I cannot say. But your strategy for argument seems to be to take an extreme position and then call anyone who tries to point out the inconsistencies you extreme position silly names.

Name calling. In capital letters to boot!

I see your argument style.

Step one: call person fool in mostly lower case letters Step 2. Call them fool in a fair amount of upper case letters Step 3. Call them idiot in all upper case letters

Can't say its an original argument style. But it is pretty unique on this board.

Reply to
brent

Ah, isn't the stupid little bigot cute.

DimBulb, that you?

You said that all information should be freely available. Now you accuse me of being stupid because I pointed out *one* of thousands of reasons this is a

*STUPID* idea. That's rich!
Reply to
krw